Falling off a dock

OMG. I didn't know how easy it was. A simple stumble and I was in the water before I knew it. I never in my wildest dreams thought it could happen. My friends rescued me (I had no idea how hard it was to get back onto the dock). Then some very experienced sailors admitted it had happened to them too!! One said it's almost like running aground - if it hasn't happened to you then you haven't sailed much. One funny story involved their little dog.

Anyway I was wondering how common it actually is. IF you don't mind could you share your story if it's happened to you.

Happened to me many years ago except I didn't fall off. I was a deliberate step around the stern of my dinghy. Didn't quite expect to be stepping off the dock.

At night, 'W' pier where you could tie up freely for it seemed as long as u wanted (that is another story entirely), winter, wet weather gear on cos it was blowing a hoolley and raining , on my jack jones, but the worst of it was - holding a 'new to me' 8 horse long shaft Merc outboard that I had bought from fast eddie the outboard guy in Ellerslie (used to be a Miller Moyes place there by  the motorway and the guy worked there. TBH can't recall his name).

I hit the piss and to this day remember thinking 'don't bloody drop it'...

Abridged story...I had to let it go cause I could not raise my hand that held the bloody thing up to the ladder. The outboard remains to this day at the bottom of the ocean and I crawled across the dock like a big wet slug muttering "why. f..ing me" . I was pissed off for days, I am still annoyed but can now see the funny side.

100% true story

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm devastated that most of my photos are gone because my phone was destroyed. I had backed up the really precious ones. Samsung IP68 water resistance is rubbish. I was only in the water for about 5 seconds.

BTW, what the best waterproof phone bag?

1 hour ago, MsKellySails said:

I'm devastated that most of my photos are gone because my phone was destroyed. I had backed up the really precious ones. Samsung IP68 water resistance is rubbish. I was only in the water for about 5 seconds.

BTW, what the best waterproof phone bag?

I would think a data recovery crowd would be able to get your photo's back.

Often they operate on a no recovery/no fee basis.

Never had the pleasure but been aground plenty dropped numerous stuff off them. Including a brand new house battery. 

11 hours ago, Addem said:

Never had the pleasure but been aground plenty dropped numerous stuff off them. Including a brand new house battery. 

I feel better about my cell phone now.

12 hours ago, Addem said:

That woulda ripped your undies wokldnt it! $125 used ob has nothing on that...

Had a PLC operating system for one of the tour boats in Milford fail and the back up on the PC also failed. The second spare was on my laptop in Te Anau which I headed into Milford with.

The tender driver nosed into the jetty and as I was stepping over, lap top case in one hand, he backed away early and rapidly... I do not recall the exact details other than the thought " The program is more important than me staying warm and dry"... as I was losing my balance I could have dropped the case, grabbed a rail and stayed warm and dry in a Fiordland winter, however I tossed the case into the tender and took the plunge. 

It was freaking cold, I think the inflateable life jacket even had second thoughts about coming out to play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Coming into dock, crewman - big guy - on the rail with dock line in hand ready to step off and make fast. 
He takes a big step as we’re prob just on a metre out. All good, he can make the gap, but his gammy knee buckles and down he goes between the dock and the boat with rapidly diminishing space. 
I slam the boat into reverse to back out a bit. 
Catastrophe averted but was damn scary. 
And he surfaced with the dock line still in hand to complete the task…

Connemara (Mirage 27) was new to me at the time and I had spent some time figuring out a combination of line and shackles that would allow me to keep the boarding ladder in place, but allow me to drop it from the water as well as from the cockpit.

On a sunny midday week in Toronto, I was washing the deck and put the mop down for a minute. It started to slip out of the boat, so I grabbed for it. Of course, I tripped over the handle and went arse over teakettle into our basin, which is not the cleanest  and most salubrious body of water in the world. After a thrash around, with no one nearby to help, I managed get one hand on the boat, one leg on the finger, and lever myself out.

It was only later, showering off, that I remembered the boarding ladder. 

MS

• Haha 1