mini 650

When Geoff Stagg was building Whispers 2 there were apparently some issues with the neighbours. They thought the hammering should finish by 10, but Geoff had a boat to build. He didn't post on the internet, but he did get a 45 foot yacht built - in quick time.

Funny you should mention that name, I am up in Annapolis at the present and called in and saw him at work on Monday morning.

Shes a great boat the whispers, I did my first 3 offshore races (3200nm total) in her as a 17 year old including the sydney hobart and 2 tasman crossings.

pretty good progress this weekend, hull repaired and glassed, main bulkhead glassed in and transom glassed in this evening. i dont want to sea another piece of bloody peel ply again.

Now that's better JH. Nice bit of visuals of something happening, nice work.

Don't hate peelply, you would hate the sanding more.

You going full transom or is that sheet destined to have a bad day due to a skillsaw?

Pretty cheap opening for some deck gear here Jordan. Complete with a piedy you can duck tape up and use for a year til its built then bust out KM's chainsaw?

i put a few bids in just for the winches.... But there is a set of winches there, some sails you can flog to other piedys, a boom for your boat, kite pole to sell etc. Probably make more for parts than you will for the whole boat, then sell the rig and hull alone at the end for $1 reserve for someone to restore...

you could shorten it, but why would you? Lotsa fun for a few lads to put in a couple of K each to get started and then finish between them - do young people do that these days?

Pardon my asking, but would it have not been easier to attack them with the skilly before glassing them in? I'm not a boatbuilder so I'm interested to know what can be gained from glassing them in first as I've found I cut more accurately on the flat.

fair question, i asked the same thing when dad told me to do it that way aswell. but his reasoning is that its easier to wack it in then cut some off, instead of cuting it, putting it in then finding its 15mm out. and for the cockpit cut out, well i have to sit in the boat and decide how wide i want the disde decks, depth of the cockpit etc. draw it on the transom then cut it out. that way no mistakes :thumbup:

Yeah i dont think its too hard to cut it out afterwards with a skily and jigsaw etc. But would be pretty easy to miscalculate it when its on the ground and cut it wrong and end up with an abortion looking Bulkhead.

yeah defnately much easier installing a full solid bulkhead first, especially being ply. easier to keep plumb as apposed to being precut and flopping round. more accurate to measure up to when its inside and secured being able to measure off the hull itself.

wait why are the bulkheads ply anyway? can already hear the scales ticking up

Archived