Tamaki TURDS check this vid out!

Info for the nark

the brand of motor boat is McLay if it helps

a picture tells a thousand words

look at the size of the wake left by the motor boat infront of the McLay

it's about 1 1/2 times the height of my coffee cup :wtf:

Maxlev, so are you saying that boats doing this, (braking the law) should be jusdged right or wrong based on the size of the wake and not the speed?? Remember, the size of the wake is not always the reason for it'spower. Speed has a bearing also. Plus, the law is there not only for wake produced, but for safety of moving around in a restricted waterway. Kind of like 50Kph in biult up area's. It is not just to recuce traffic noise, it is to provide safety. Sure there may have been plenty of room and it may have been safe in this instance, but you could drive in a lot of biult up area at 100Kph safely also.But one day, some kid is going to pop out or car door open etc. The vid is just one example of an everyday occurance and some of the boats braking the law are big and putting out a seriously uncomfortable and dangerous wake. So where do we draw the line??? the line is drawn by a speed restrictiona and passing distance, not by the size of the wake produced or the amount other boats are rocked around

Isn't part of the problem the fact that there is basically no one out there enforcing the rules? Just sit by the eastern Westhaven exit for an hour on a nice weekend and you will see so many people exceeding the 5 knot limit it is not funny, including speedboats from the ramp and dry stack, launches and yachts from the marina.

Even the 10 knot zone is hardly enforced. Rules without enforcement (and education) are just hollow.

Yes I agree. The problem would soon stop or greatly reduce if they had more presence on the water and started stopping people infringing on the rules. Problem is, how do you pay for that. And then we have the issue of boat registration being brought in to fund it. So it becomes a catch 22.

Although, I would not mind so much if it was a small easily paid fee that actually had a noticable result.

Talk of licencing is likely to enrage Senor Squid.

I think the thrust of Squid's argument against licencing is that while it might start off as a small easily paid fee that has a noticeable result, it isn't long before the bureaucrats realise there's a potential cash cow to be milked and it becomes an onerous burden on boating folk with little or no real results but a lot more bureaucracy, paper shuffling, unnecessary expense, wastage, administration, "Gliding On" type situation.

Basically its the thin end of the wedge and if you allow that and you're not very careful you'll suddenly find its been briskly hammered in right up to the thick end.

Education of the boating public is a good thing

Enforcement of the rules that we've already got is a good thing

Making new rules that only affect the people who already follow the rules (and are therefore not a problem) is a BAD thing.

Registration will NOT solve this. Education may reduce the occurance.

95 to 99% of yachts are all registered and have large numerals on their sails (ISAF RRS 77) + about 80% have sail numbers already on their hulls (YNZ SR 22.1) all categories.

The problem really is launchs & Fizz boats that can go over 5 knots. Most will have VHF say 80% if knot more. Most therefore will have a "registered Callsign" as a unique identification of that boat.

I saw one laucng with its callsign in about 400mm high letters on its flying bridge.

Problem solved. Make all launches and fizz boats display their call signs in BOLD LARGE letters the same size as sail numbers.

Then its just a case of getting the callsign data up to date and Coastguard already do a very good job and have systems in place.

Then harbourmaster prints off large stickers and places these on boats over the drivers immediate visibility windows, requesting compliance before the boat can be used; and detailing a period to do this (say 3 months) and then fines for non complaince; doubling each time it's not done.

Happy to do this if nobody else wants to.

Easy to :shh: walk around marinas,

:shh: motor around moorings on a nice sunny calm day.

It could be a hell of a job, but somebody needs to do something.

Then with all the security cameras at marinas, or from the city or marine rescue centre, it would be very easy to spot boats knot complying or exceeding speed limits; and all done from a nice warm dry office.

Next year target badly placed non complying navigation lights.

What I need a 5 year plan :?:

Registration will NOT solve this. Education may reduce the occurance.

I think a spud gun boat would solve the problem. If you see a boat passing to close and quick to you blast a spud at them. I imagine I would have fun driving and shooting at boats breaking the law :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoooo, back up the horses, I didn't say we need rego or licencing. I hate the idea for the exact same reasons. So don't go putting me in a pro rego box. But policing does not happen because there is no money to do it. Hence the catch 22. We have to have some way of paying onwater policing, but none of us want the beauracracy that goes with it.

Education will not work either. Most know the rules. Only a few don't. Think about it, if we had no cops or speed cameras on the roads, a vst number would speed even though they all know the limit.

It sounds like the enforcement would pay for itself initially, until the offenders caught on that they need to follow out the rules.

Hire some hotties in Bikini's, give the a jetski and a ticket book.

$250 a pop puts a bit of gas in the tank. :D

It sounds like the enforcement would pay for itself initially, until the offenders caught on that they need to follow out the rules.

Hire some hotties in Bikini's, give the a jetski and a ticket book.

$250 a pop puts a bit of gas in the tank. :D

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Except I think you would find quite a few bogans flooring the throttle just to get pulled up by Hotties in bikinis in jetskiis... But I like the thought process!!

How many recidivist DUI drivers have you read about that have had heaps of convictions and haven't had a license for most of their driving life (if ever) who are back out there doing what they do best, getting pissed and driving.

Issuing a license for whatever and rescinding it upon conviction doesn't work, most of the guys who piss you off haven't got one and couldn't give a sh*t as to what you think anyway and will continue to "offend".

Most folks on the water comply with the regs, why penalise these people for the few arseholes who are never going conform or comply. What to do with (or about) them I don't have an answer, but to spud gun them is a bad idea as they will come back with a bigger bang (unregistered of course) and do you a lot more damage.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on, the solution, as has been said is just the thin end of the wedge to greater and more intrusive / expensive bureaucracy.

Wouldn't ya love being a skipper on one of the many large ferries coming through here several times a day. Limited options when it comes to taking avoiding action due to room or lack of it. All the time not knowing if the other guy is competent or even sober and if something goes wrong, it's unlikely you will never be 100% clear. Finally if a bureaucrat second guesses what you could or should have done after the event and the blame is high enough, end of ticket, end of job.

I believe some of the Ferries are seriously looking at installing cameras to protect themselves. Could be some cracker footage for YouTube.

Yeah the ferry drivers are a pretty talented bunch, have seen them take some pretty cool avoiding manouvors to miss some dick weed in a 12 foot tinny with a 15hp on the back that just cut off a 200 ton ferry! Pretty scarey stuff, but the skippers are on to it and by in large even modified time tables and take good avoiding action of the few big races we do in and out of the river.

They are in general a good bunch! Where they may have once been the problem its not now! I reckon we do a squadron and put a $1 charge on the boat ramp and that ought to spread out where a few of the fizz nasties launch from and help the cause! Its the best boat ramp in auckland that isnt charged for - parking or launching and it is getting raped!

How many recidivist DUI drivers have you read about that have had heaps of convictions and haven't had a license for most of their driving life (if ever) who are back out there doing what they do best, getting pissed and driving.

Issuing a license for whatever and rescinding it upon conviction doesn't work, most of the guys who piss you off haven't got one and couldn't give a sh*t as to what you think anyway and will continue to "offend".

Most folks on the water comply with the regs, why penalise these people for the few arseholes who are never going conform or comply. What to do with (or about) them I don't have an answer, but to spud gun them is a bad idea as they will come back with a bigger bang (unregistered of course) and do you a lot more damage.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on, the solution, as has been said is just the thin end of the wedge to greater and more intrusive / expensive bureaucracy.

Have to disaggree with you there Steve, from what I have seen the majority of Fizz boat operators do NOT! comply with the regs.

Just like the local dairy places fotos of mugs stealing sh*t on the wall behind the counter.......A website with a gallery of the offenders....pair group pressure !! It seems many get photgraphed WWW.WATERTOSSERS.HAU.GULF

Gotta be worth it surely :thumbup:

Too true.

My land vehicle license expired and as LTSA wouldn't accept a CAA Aviation medical, on the grounds that driving a car and flying an aircraft are different... no sh*t Sherlock, I had to get a medical. I couldn't be arse so didn't and had no license for nearly a year. I didn't bother me one bit to be honest.

I don't see what would be different with one for the water.

Archived