Alloy tube bending & fabrication

Kiteroa

Can anyone recommend a crowd who bends up and fabricates thick wall alloy push and pulpits? Chris Sayer had his 6.5's done by a local guy but I can't remember the name of his company.

Any ideas?

You might me able to hire the bending tool
It ain't so easy to bend marine grade ally into tight bends. It cracks. You have to anneal it with a carbon flame first. If you use something like a Bramely hand bender, I think the radius might be to big for the liking.

WT, I have to ask, why Aluminium and not SST?? Is it a weight thing?

Yeah, it's partly a weight thing but more a cosmetic preference. All my stanchions are composite and black. I've been mucking about with bladder moulded curved composite tubes for the pushpit etc, but it's getting expensive and i've taken 3 goes to get one that is good enough to be used. I'm thinking it might be better just to go alloy and mess about with my composite gear while I have a boat finished and sailing!

Yup, the alloy tube needs to be 4mm wall and has to be annealed before bending. Standard 2mm tube isn't strong enough.

Stainless will look a bit out of place when everything else is black. Hard anodised alloy is the next best think I think.

That's how I did the curved tillers on my GBE! It's a mean idea. Structural PVC.... If you cover it with release agent, cure the carbon on the outside, then heat the whole lot, sometimes you can twist around and slither the PVC tube out leaving the carbon. That only works with short or larger dia tubes though..

Actually, the bees knees is low melt temp alloy rod. We used it for making carbon raidator and internally tooled air lines for the F1 cars. You machine the shape you need, laminate over it, cure then exceed the melt temp of the alloy at the end of the cook. It runs out as as a liquid to be used again. You can make anything with that stuff......

Stainless will look a bit out of place when everything else is black. Hard anodised alloy is the next best think I think.

That about powdercoated stainless? it comes up very tidy and at least if you scratch it it wont fizz?

Plus i thought composite Stantions had issues with Cat 3?

Or how about Black chrome. It has a stunningly beautiful finish. I see no reason why SST can not be Black Chromed. Talk to an Electroplater about that. The only stumbling point I could see would be the lengths that could be done.

I note you mention carbon fibre. Are you aware that carbon fibre does not pass the safety regulations? not stirring just observing.

another option is Neil at The Steel Works on hillside Rd Glenfield. almost opposite cooksons. he has done all sorts of tube bending and fabrication for me. 447 6738

though he does get busy some times (good guys are always in demand.

I note you mention carbon fibre. Are you aware that carbon fibre does not pass the safety regulations? not stirring just observing.

Yup, I'm aware of that. But I have composite tubes, not carbon. So shouldn't be a problem.

The only marine metal fabricator I have had recent experience with is Rusty at Whiting Power Services. He does beautiful engineering and welding work.

Archived