Team Wheels second leg

wheels

The country is being lashed by Gales and Storms and more on on the Radar, so Teams Wheels has decided, What the hey, lets take the boat the rest of the way to Auckland. Doh!!! Shanson was going to come with us and he called me last night to say he had Busted his flipper. I would have excepted a lesser excuse you know Shanson :wink:

On the serious side, the Napier Marina are keen to see us leave I think. When we went down last long weekend, two of my three spring lines had snapped and they have had to re tie the boat up twice since. So earlier this week I got a call asking us our intentions, which I think was more a polite Hint. Our intentions are to head out Friday morning and have a good blow from aft which will swing around to the SthWest adn should give us a great push to Mahia and then be on the stern again for a lotof the way up the Cape and swing back westerly. Gale force, but off the land, so I think we will be fine. Some real nasty stuff comes through Sat/Sun, that will be on our nose and I am thinking of maybe stopping in say, Hicks Bay or maybe sooner to let the worst of that go over and then carry on across.

Does anyone know any of those bays up the East Cape and maybe Hicks Bay as to any thing i need to be concerned with????

Why do you think you've had so many dock line problems Wheels? Has it been a chafe issue or is there quite a lot of movement in Napier marina or something?

Best of luck for the second leg of the journey. I bet you can't wait to get the boat up here and securely on her own mooring. Keep us posted mate. :thumbup:

The boat is tied to their Dinghy dock anbd it does not have any great tie points. Plus it is at the far end of the Marina and gets a huge tidal surge in and out with every wave outside the Marina. So the boat is constantly surging back and forward. And they are sbstantial lines. The first lines that went were 32mm nylon and the lines on it now are twice the length 25mm 8braid.

Hell, its not like you've been tying the boat up with old hairy bits of string then. Must be some of that bloody Chinese made mussel farm rope that they flog off in that dodgy old chains and ropes place I've heard about on the shore ;)

Don't push things too much ... its not worth trying to make a schedule and coming unstuck as a result.

Hi Wheels,

when do expect to leave Napier? Looks a great weekend to sail the east coast but might get a bit tough past the cape. Tolaga's a good spot to park up for the night just off the end of the Jetty. 25 knots of wind and a reach along the coast in smooth water, I'm so jealous.

We are underway, making 7kts with a 20kt on the bum. 1m swell with a good cho on top., but comfortable going wth it. May niot get to check in much depending on recption, so might have to leave updates to KM if he getsmy texts.

Good luck Wheels, I'm sure you are getting forecasts, but anyway predict wind is showing some pretty solid westerlies going to north/west right thru tuesday/wednesday at this stage. Finding a nice bay sounds like an option?

earlier email -

We are underway and about 3/4hr out oif Napier. 1m swell and choppy, byut going with iut and comforatble. 20kts west norwest. High overcast and some sun, but lots of snow on mountains behind and very cold.

txt just in -

Surfing along at 9kts on the odd 2mt wave. 30nm to Mahia.

##############

Interesting weather ahead but at least offshore for going around that nasty Cape. Rough plan is to round the Cape and head high back into the flater waters inshore and then run off for the top of Coro. Mr Wheels is a lot happier with boat and Mrs Wheels now. Mrs Wheels has turned out the be a surprise, she's keen as to go hard, something Mr Wheels wasn't quite expecting :)

Sorry I missed you wheels but we just got into town yesterday morning after flying from the USA east coast.

Had a good sail, good sw'ly here at home should you should have a great push up the coast.

Managed to get a connection. Now past Mahia and can see Gisborn area ahead. Sea is reral nice now. What a wild ride across. We had a solid 25kts Westerly and then a souwest front came through. So we had 2m westerly swell and a 2m Souwest swell. As we approached the peninsula, it got wilder and wilder. And we gave iot a real big berth too. We had easy 4 m breakers at times. They just stand up suddenly and of course, never in the direction yu are heading. So Dawn is having a clean up below and making some soup. We spotted a Humpbck whale (no I was not skinning dipping, too damn cold) but it was too ruf to get a phot0.Never mind. But still awesome site. First time for us.

I'm a little worried about what we will nose into once around the top of the cape, but that shuld be daylight tomorrow and we should get a good crack at that leg before the nasty arives. Although the weather forcast on Maritime is scarying the pants off me with 55kts. I think that must be well off shore though. Certainly swellmap shows much lighter along the coastal area.

Saw lots of snow inland and that would probably be the reason it's so damn cold out here.

Oh and the internet is lightening fast out here. What's with that??? :wink:

3pm - Now around Mahia. Was very wild.

################

3.35pm - Just spotted a Humpback

################

They seem to be getting along very well. A bit lumpy and Wheels having the odd 1st day out quiver as ya do at times. At this rate they should be having having breeky somewhere off Hicks Bay while looking at White Island.

Wheels making wise cracks about Mrs Wheels, he has been told it's deep water so be careful, they may never find his body :)

Now both of us having fun at AA's expense due to his funny name :twisted: :wink:

AC - Wheels has sussed a few bolt holes on the way up just in case but is going to try to push on thru non stop. Hopefully the wind will play nice and they can head inshore after the Cape to the flatter water then run up to the top. If they carry on like this they should be comfortably home on Sunday. Fingers crossed just as they reach the top of Coro the wind is expected to swing to the east so they'll get blown across the Firth and right up the ditch.

Big call going in the predicted winds but Wheels is a lot happier with the boat after leg 1 and being offshore means better water for going around that scary nasty Cape bit. They are running the don't push it and go hide if they need to programme, so should be fine. The next 12 hours will be the worst probably so once thru that they should be sweet all the way back to the boats new cruzin grounds.

##################

Latest txt - past Table Cape. Much calmer now. SW down to 14kts.

Best of luck Wheels, looks like a 20 -30 knot NW forecast fo the Bay on saturday and sunday, i imagine that bolt hole will start looking pretty good by the morning. I'll bet they are looking forward to getting the old bus home to Jaffa land.

home to Jaffa land.

He's now a Westie and works on the Nth Shore, both are Jafa free zones......... unless you are called Rodney Hyde :?

I know what you mean about Napier marina, came tru a month or so back (bad fuel problem) and found napier chock a block with overseas boats??!! The most surprising boat was a Russian 1/2 tonner, yes Russian that had just sailed in from Chile! One would have had to been Russian to sail the wrong way round in this boat! Mad bastards.. Not sure what the attraction is but couldnt fault the guys in Napier marina or the service guys I needed.

Go easy out there Wheels, i know what you mean about those friggin mountains and the white shite on them - polar cold!

Archived