Boat Electronics

johnMi

I don't know about the rest of you, but this subject is definitely not being filled by the electronics market at the moment. It seems you can only buy the full package (raymarine, garmin, Autohelm etc) and not able to mix and match.

I have an Autohelm depth and speed log on my boat, and the display is done and to replace it is going to cost near $1000.

Weight is important so taking a laptop and enough battery capacity to run it is not an option, (as well as my boat can become very wet in heavy racing conditions.

I have fully functioning transducers (NMEA 0183) and an ipad. All I need now is a WIFI multiplexer to transmit the signals to the ipad where there are 2 great apps iNavX and iRegatta that could give me all the display needs I could ever possibly want (even up to developing Polar charts if wind transducers are added). Because the ipad can be put into a fully weatherproof jacket and has absolutely no wires connected, it could be mounted, hanging around a winch facing me sitting on the Amas for example.

I have found the model multiplexer, the iMux by brookhouse, but can't find it here in NZ.

Does anyone know where I can find one. I've tried buying from the states but they need a US Address. (Does tactic supply something similar?

Out of interest, has anyone tried the Airmar PB200, for wind instrumentation? This would fit straight into this system.

Does anyone know where I can find one. I've tried buying from the states but they need a US Address. (Does tactic supply something similar?

Out of interest, has anyone tried the Airmar PB200, for wind instrumentation? This would fit straight into this system.

John, this URL talks about shipping the iMux to destinations outside North America or Europe. It even references New Zealand Post so I am assuming they deliver here.

http://brookhouseonline.com/order_pay_other.htm

It does look like there is a bit of a manufacturing backlog tho. It sounds like an interesting combination although I'm not so sure how waterproof the iPhone or iPads are.

I did find a youtube clip on a waterproof cover for the iPad. The iPad didn't work so well while it was getting wet but it did protect it.

Thanks Farrari, I saw that as well, but hoping there was somewhere in NZ.

I could only send an email of intention, yet it seemed they would supply to US addresses.

The waterproof envelope I'm looking at actually pulls a vacuum, so you can see that is properly sealed, in that video I noticed they didn't put the envelope sealing area under the tap. I would have liked to see them fully submerge the iPad

I would imagine pulling a vacuum means you can get a beter flat surface over the touch screen part of the ipad too and that feature would work better?

Yep agree that it would be better. The video did highlight a further issue though. The iPad responded to rain drops moving over the screen as if they were key presses. it could produce some interesting results :)

Doh. I could just about walk there!

From their web site.

Postal address:

Brookhouse

P.O. Box 38-308

Howick

Manukau 2145

New Zealand

Physical address:

Brookhouse

208 Sandspit Road

(Sandspit Park)

Shelly Park, Howick

Manukau 2014

New Zealand

Fax: +64 9 5354767

I could drive there myself in 10 mins, unfortunately they do not display a phone no because they seem to be deluged by queries????

I've sent an email but haven't heard anything yet

I have a quote for the PB200 on my desk at the moment. Intending to replace all my electronics (wind display is stuffed, log has failed etc...) with a more interchangeable network system.

Not cheap but neither are any wind units, and it provides an extra GPS antenna, pitch and roll data and a solid state compass all in one unit. That's a pile of useful data that costs a few bob if you have to pick it up with individual units.

Would by anychance, the Taktik system work then?? As in use your transducers with 0183, and use TakTik sender unit to their recievers. I am only suggesting, I don't know if it can be done.

Hi wheels,

Unfortunately iPad is very finniky about who it will talk to, and apparently not to Tack tic.

By the way, I am in awe of your ventures, I trust you will get her home 'in due course'

Tacktick doesn;t work in NZ they have massive frequency problems and believe me I know we used to sell it it is especially problematic in auckland to much other radio frequencies around.

John you shopuld talk to Mr Wolf about the system we just did for him it doesnlt have to be as flash though

Cheers

Gappy

Yeah the Nexus gear that Gappy sorted for us is really very cool but to be honest I haven't really used it enough to know exactly what is going to be best.

you are welcome to come and take a look at what we have though.

Thanks Tim, will take you up on that, when I get some time.

I had nexus on a previous boat and quite liked it, apart from AWA/TWA.

That's why I thought of PB200

John

what didn;t you like about AWA/TWA everything needs to be linked up to make these functions work properly i.e you need speed input etc and get better readings with compass also

Cheers

Blair

I don't know about the rest of you, but this subject is definitely not being filled by the electronics market at the moment. It seems you can only buy the full package (raymarine, garmin, Autohelm etc) and not able to mix and match.

quote]

This is very much addressed by NMEA2000. The complete Simrad IS20 system uses Simnet to share data around the system which is NMEA 2000. You can get a Simrad IS20 Wind Sensor Airmar NMEA 2000 Speed & Depth transducer which will probably fit in the same hull housing as your old Autohelm depth sensor and display it on Simrad IS20 displays or other NMEA2000 displays of your choice. There are plenty around. You will need to ensure that the system has a display that will calculate true wind from the available data such as the Simrad IS20 Wind dispaly. The NMEA 2000 data can be sent in the same fashion as NMEA0183 only it is much faster so you don't get the big time lags that you will see with NMEA 0183.

Archived