Big Boats doing it wrong

benny14

It's hard to argue that it was a port/starboard situation, but why would you take it that far? To prove a point? The possibility for serious injury is huge ... not to mention very expensive repairs required.

It's hard to argue that it was a port/starboard situation, but why would you take it that far? To prove a point? The possibility for serious injury is huge ... not to mention very expensive repairs required.

I doubt those guys are overly concerned about the repair costs...

Don't know any of them well enough to agree or disagree but surely owner and valued guests out of the regatta and having to hurriedly organise other activities has to be a disincentive.

My reaction was the same as Grinna's - no-one seems to be trying particularly hard to avoid that one.

Port starboard?

Looks to me like a windward boat keep clear.

I was reading in Yachting World, June 2011 that the super yachts have a 40m rule (distance to other boats) and those that fail to follow this rule are not invited back.

Port starboard?

Looks to me like a windward boat keep clear.

Errr ... actually, you're right .... they're both on the same board. Sorry, saw the 90 degree T bone and assumed it was port/starboard.

So, in this case, its even more of a mystery as to why they ended up in a serious, high speed T bone prang. Were neither of these crews watching what was going on and where other boats were around them???

Start line incident, according to a story on yet-another-sailing-site-which-I-will-not-link-to-for-fear-of-offending-Squid:

However the drama of the day came when coming into the start the 30m Illusion misjudged the distance and ploughed right into Kora. The crew were thrown across the deck with a few damaged ribs counted, one person in the water and plenty of damage to both boats.

Google the boat names and Rolex Maxi Worlds and you should come up with it. A few more photos there too, mainly of sails being stuffed into that gash.

Looks like the blue boat is swinging to windward to put the main up?? and may not have seen the white one?? or misjudged their turning circle?? A tin of presto super cut and she'l be right!

Boats that size normally have captive winches for the mainsheet so hard to believe it was a knot in the mainsheet!

More likely to be along the lines of what broke this boom... Apparantly this one they were moving sails around the deck on the lay day at the dock when one of the sails landed on the joystick that controls the captive winches. In turn winding the mainsheet til the boom snapped around the Vang. (Not sure why the stops didnt work in saying that!)

IMGP1949.JPG

Archived