Timberwolf VS Frantic drift

Rocker isnt a term used in . it comes from Surfboards. what they are referring to is the called a "canoe body"

its the depth of the hull without foils from the water. measuring it is basically easy, straight line from knuckle to bottom corner of transom although its basically meaningless on a float as the waterline changes with each load case and all that matters is the Lateral Centre of Boyancy at each loadcase.

G'day bloke. I truely respect what you are buillding. Well done & thanks a bundle for all the pics.

You a boat (yacht) designer are U?? They don't use the term 'rocker' - that's a big statement!!! I' trying not to up-set U - but.. Ciao, jj

sorry I should have said its not a technical term in Naval Architecture, it could be used in boat design, just like fat, thin, fast, slow, pig rooter and all the other words boat designers love to use?

Well at least in my four years studying boat design they never mentioned Rocker, or how to measure it. Underwater profile, Canoebody, curve of areas and a few other similar, measurable terms were mentioned however.

Greg do your plans have a "Rocker" measurement somewhere in there? I doubt it....

Greg do your plans have a "Rocker" measurement somewhere in there? I doubt it....

No. I wouldn't expect it to be. Its not measured in the 5 other sets of plans I've got either. I've always thought of it as just a descriptive/comparative term. Like saying that Capricorn's hulls have more keel rocker than Creepy C (which they do).

Yes 'Rocker' is a term used and understood universally among Boat Designers, boat builders and all associated designers of water borne craft including kayaks and surfboards.

Rocker clearly describes the relative depth and curve of the immersed hull and not as someone earlier stated 'canoe body' well that could describe any number of immersed streamlined hulls.

Ted Brewer and Howard I Chapelle are both notable Naval Architects, and although they dont design the kind of yachts

that inspire us Multihullers, they along with multitudes of other designers use 'Rocker' freely to describe the general

keel line of the immersed hull.

Just thought that needed clarification before too many picked it up and ran with it. :wink:

Well thanks to all that have answered my question

I must admit that I felt a bit foolish asking such a naive question, when I did, but as I'm new to these wonderful machines, and there's guys out there that know these things I thought why not.

Also had to admit I felt even more so when I hadn't gotten a serious answer (sorry SJB and offender, your answers were truelly enlightening) and asked again.

I'm glad I persisted and please help an old man grappling with the complexities of these amazing craft there may be more questions to come.

The Green Machine was smoking down to leeward.

We didn't start and you might have noticed we had no bow pole either.

So we thought we would try and line up anyway. We then were late to the start so tried our best. The jib track tore off the deck so that was the end of that. Back to drawing board to be ready for coastal.

Archived