Timberwolf VS Frantic drift

:lol: Sam that was a year ago. I think the Triple 8 has been on a big diet since then and maybe a few hundred kg lighter. That all said I hope we are competitive with Triple 8, TW and Taeping in the breeze and Charleston in the lighter breeze. Then we will be a good all rounder.
what is rocker and how is it measured?

A skinny Musician known to play loud fast Rock N Roll generally measured by the amount of alcohol and drugs that can be consumed and still allow them to perform.

Could also be an aging Lothario with a penchant for fast cars, women and multihulls. :D

Well i'm not that skinny but the rest i can relate to been " there done that, please wait in line ..... next " I think that both of these boats rock and would gladly give up both of offenders testies for one of them . :clap: well done

Thanks SJB and offender for your answers to my question, but I feel there must be more to it.

I guess I know what rocker is, it's more how to measure it.

I know TW won't answer me, but what about you FD or maybe you twinkletoes? :eh:

I'm not an expert JM, far removed from that, but rocker is, I believe, the upwards curve of the rear part of the underside of the hull. The amount of rocker and also presumably how far forward from the stern it starts determines how much upward attitude the bows will try to have. The prime purpose of rocker of course is to reduce downward pitching of bows. The rocker induces a sort of pulling down of the rear section as opposed to a lifting of the bow - make sense? If I'm wrong then I apologise, but this is my limited understanding. How is it measured? I have no idea!

Thanks AA

I figured that was what it was.

PE has quite a lot of Rocker, and I've figured that's what causes the boat to actually 'Rock' at speed.

Do the amas have to have the same rocker as the main hull?

Rocker is the curve, like the bottom of a rocking chair. The two most simple components are the degree/amount of rocker, and the distribution of rocker along its length.

Less rocker is faster in the flat, more rocker is faster in the chop, for reasons as said by AA, but also due to drag and buoyancy changes. Distribution wise ive only dealt with kiteboards were we use a 3 stage rocker, with a central origin - gotta ride both ways - but im sure the amas are a bit more complex.

We measure rocker for skateboards/kiteboards/skis in terms of the distance between the tangent to the curve of the rockered surface (at the lowest point), and a horizontal line that intercepts either end of the rocker curve.

Not sure if there is a standard definition in the yacht design industry, but for us its a choice, a bit like defining aspect ratios, i always thought it would be simpler to define a couple of radii and coordinates from the board center. I think surfboards define it differently again.

Gee, I dunno the answer to that question JM. I'm aware from listening to people who know alot more about this subject than me that Farrier Tris do have a reasonable amount of rocker, with the aim being to keep the nose up. This is the design purpose of the boat which was as a family oriented trailerable trimaran. There - you've heard everything I know about rocker!

Thanks Below Par, makes sense what you say, and AA, thanks again :thumbup:

Rocker isnt a term used in boat design. it comes from Surfboards. what they are referring to is the called a "canoe body"

its the depth of the hull without foils from the water. measuring it is basically easy, straight line from knuckle to bottom corner of transom although its basically meaningless on a float as the waterline changes with each load case and all that matters is the Lateral Centre of Boyancy at each loadcase.

The rocker of the float and mainhull are not related, they should look different.

Thanks Below Par, makes sense what you say, and AA, thanks again :thumbup:

Rocker isnt a term used in boat design. it comes from Surfboards. what they are referring to is the called a "canoe body"

its the depth of the hull without foils from the water. measuring it is basically easy, straight line from knuckle to bottom corner of transom although its basically meaningless on a float as the waterline changes with each load case and all that matters is the Lateral Centre of Boyancy at each loadcase.

G'day bloke. I truely respect what you are buillding. Well done & thanks a bundle for all the pics.

You a boat (yacht) designer are U?? They don't use the term 'rocker' - that's a big statement!!! I' trying not to up-set U - but.. Ciao, jj

Guest Saturday Night Special

Rocker is a term in yacht design Would you like to read some of the letters from people like John Spencer he wrote to me in the late 80's early 90's

I thought rocker helped when turning, gives a boat something to pivot around.

G'day "Rush" - Need help when turning - a steering wheel or tiller.

I thought 'rocker' was a mature 'older aged' Sundreamer-man or is he a holly older 'roller' - Enjoy your day, james

Archived