Round New Zealand updates

Does my VHF DSC button really work?

I have a handheld VHF / GPS - it has a call feature that means you can send a message to another DSC VHF or to all ship to see if the system works

I'd say kudos to Yellowbrick for fronting up as well.

As far as I can tell Yellowbrick are not marketed or purported to be a safety device, they are a tool that provides useful information. Sure they can be used in an emergency situation but they are not intended to be relied on. The same way a cell phone can be used in an emergency in some situations, this is not its designed purpose and should not be relied on.

If you want a device that is as fail safe as possible in an emergency you use a device specifically intended to operate as one. One that is subject to stringent tests and regulation to ensure it's reliability. To achieve this the device will likely have a higher price and less functionality. That's why the safety regs require an EPIRB not a Yellowbrick or any other device you might think has a similar function.

I'm sure if it were possible for the Yellowbrick to approach the same level of reliability as an EPIRB they would be significantly more expensive.

skeds up ....surreal is 137nm to finish...at 2000..

so if they average 6 knots from here on...then finish at about 1900 tomorrow.

sunstone is only 155nm to go ..so 18nm behind.....and vingilot another 10nm behind that....

has surreal damaged their kite or ??..... thought they would be pulling out a bigger lead than that?

Something is not correct, positions on YB dont match up with distances. I would put money on the positions beging correct (except Rev's?) and the distance to finish wrong. If you look at the chart Surreal is more than 18nm ahead

Rev's crazy position is taken from the latest sked. I'm assuming it's a typo - probably 166E, rather than 177E, so I've updated the map.

I think we've fixed the DTF problems - bear with us, as updating the race viewer manually isn't something we usually do and the infrequency of reports is causing some dodgy maths.

If you spot something that looks wrong, please drop us an email to support [at] yellowbrick-tracking.com and we'll get it fixed.

Ric

--

Yellowbrick Tracking, UK

The safety aspect of Yellowbrick is always an interesting debate. Whether we like it or not, there have been a number of occasions where Yellowbrick positions have assisted in Mayday responses, and so it's seen as a safety device by default.

However, as correctly stated here, we don't market it that way, and it's not part of GMDSS. We'd always recommend that you relied on an EPIRB as your primary means of offshore distress alerting.

That said, Yellowbrick is designed to similar specifications, and (when manufactured correctly) should cope with the same abuse that you'd expect any other piece of safety kit to.

There are developments ahead that may change the perception of devices like Yellowbrick. Iridium is working to become part of GMDSS, and there are other emerging standards (SEND / RTCM 12800) that mean these sorts of devices could be recommended as the only means of distress alerting for some users. We're improving our quality controls and we'll be ready when this happens.

Ric

--

Yellowbrick Tracking, UK

Looks like Surreal will finish about in time for a late breakfast tomorrow.

The next three should all get around the corner before the wind changes, and Revs will likely win the slide home for second ahead of Vingilot and Sunstone.

Danaide and Truxton are having a great run down the coast but could have a tougher time at the corner, but if the forecasts are right they will have head winds from there to the end.

Revs overnight track looks very interesting. I would love to know how he did that - it could come in really useful :wink:

Surreal should be in soon. Wow - what a leg they have all had.

I see Panther is in with Krakatoa. Problems?

I see Panther is in with Krakatoa. Problems?

Panther reported "Set course for Nelson due to severe sea-sickness" on the Sunday evening sched. Must be a pretty bad case if that's still the issue.

Agree Megwyn, what a leg, what awesome sailors all of them and a standing ovation for the guys on Pelagian 2.

And when they're working those yellowbricks are great too.

Big ups to those wily devils on Surreal who really deserve their leg win.

... is what he meant. We aren't that anal around here Ric.

Not anal. I'd do the same. :thumbup: My guess is that Ric is trying to avoid the spam bots harvesting his email address. :thumbdown: He probably gets more than enough spam at that address without openly publishing it.

It never seems to end for some of the boats. Looking at the rain radar, the 2nd 1/2 of the fleet, the ones most nailed by the big blow, are now having a large amount of water falling from the sky upon them.

Best wishes to them all, may the rain knot water down the rums too much :wink:

I'd also like to echo the big ups to those teams nailed yet carrying on. Go Team Supertanker34, what a big balls call on her, well done lads :thumbup: I do hope the 2 crews who have had to pull the pin are OK. Both sounded rather yucky so probably a wise move to do what they did.

Does anyone know why Copellia delayed so long leaving Golden Bay. Looks like they might get nailed again. At best its going to be bloody wet. At least the other two will be most of the way to the corner before it gets too bad.

Go the Bendytoe

I was told that the local Liquorland doesn't open down there until 0930. Rob may have been running short after his harrowing experience out there.

This race has been more absorbing than the Volvo in a lot of ways -fantastic effort to all who started - am sure this has been something you will remember (for varying reasons!) for ever :clap:

Archived