Leg 5

There is now a unsubstantiated rumour floating around saying that Camper could be flown straight to America. Heres hoping that is utter rubbish as that would just suck :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I just stole this off the volvo website

“Things certainly aren’t getting any easier onboard,” wrote MCM Hamish Hooper.

“Last night as we were sailing along trying to keep the boat slow and under control we managed to pop the starboard longitudinal -- the fourth big blow we have had in a row.

“With each new blow things become that much harder and fragile.

“Rob Salthouse deserves a knighthood. He has basically been working in the bow completely covered in carbon dust for four days now with the slightest of sleep between fixing things and them breaking again.

“His trusty sidekick Mike Pammenter (boat captain) has been right alongside him doing all he can to help keep things together. Their patience is wearing very thin, but their perseverance is not.”

There is now a unsubstantiated rumour floating around saying that Camper could be flown straight to America. Heres hoping that is utter rubbish as that would just suck :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Tell that to Rob Salthouse about now.

Tell that to Rob Salthouse about now.

He is doing an amazing job to get them to dry land. From the sound of it without him they might not be making it back to dry land with that amount of damage in the bow. Heres hoping that someone is just making this stuff up.

I actually think they have quite a bit on. Busting both longitudinals is pretty serious. Ring frames and bulkheads are no were near as serious, its like the difference between your spine and your ribs, the longitudinals are the backbone of the boat. Even if they get the boat back in one piece its not a quick fix type job....

Also Chille has some nasty rules about taking damaged boat out of the country. When we were dismasted about where they are now we sailed round the horn into ushuia argentina to avoid thier rules.

They do Have a three week turn around at the end of this leg so it would have to a huge for them to miss out on leg six. I havnt had anything from volvo or camper yet on what exactly is going on, but im sure others will found out before me. If you do please let us all know :D

So let me get this straight. They bust the ring frame fixed it twice at least...then popped or delamined the port longitudinal, maybe fixed but probably out of repair materials and have now popped/delamined/shattered the starboard longitudinal or are there more longitudinals than this( think old school stringers)?

:think:

Where have these delams in the logitudinals occurred. How far forward are they?

Sounds very nasty and when they get the thing to a port the whole crew deserve the best possible accolades! :thumbup:

They are showing us all how tough they really are. Here's hoping they make it. They deserve huge kudos for holding body soul and boat together.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest Saturday Night Special

VOR rule makers need to look very closely at their scantlings these boats are very fast but substatially under engineeered too expensive and not safe to take to the Southern Ocean all teams are chasinbg weight my early predictions were correct and I would not be surprised to see a far more sreious hull failure yet

Don't know wjhy they don't go one design and get boats that will survive a few races, provide decent shelter for the crew, have toe rails.......................

At 1900 UTC Groupama (Franck Cammas/FRA) and PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG (Ken Read/USA), the only two teams to have avoided serious damage to their boats so far on Leg 5, are 38.7 nautical miles (nm) apart. Groupama is 223 nm from the eastern ice limit set at 47 degrees south/150 degrees west and once past the waypoint they will be free to dive south again without the worry of colliding with icebergs as they set a course for Cape Horn.

Despite avoiding damage to their boats, both teams have crew on board who are recovering from injury. Phil Harmer from Groupama has a damaged shoulder and could miss the next leg, while on board PUMA, Casey Smith has hurt his back and Thomas Johanson has dislocated his shoulder.

As the Southern Ocean returns again in force, Telefónica (Iker Martínez/ESP) in third are now 253.3 nm behind Groupama, nursing damage to the bow serious enough for the crew to slow the boat.

“We’re battling on and making sure we don’t do any more damage. We could push harder, but we think that could lead to further problems,” said watch leader Neal McDonald earlier today. The team has had two crewmembers in the bow for a week, patching up a repair. McDonald says they will continue as they are and monitor it carefully. “Time will tell. It looks stable at the moment and, at the pace we are going, we are in good shape,” he said.

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing (Ian Walker/GBR) is midway between the western and central ice limits, 1231.2 nm adrift of Groupama 4. The team has not had the easiest of Southern Ocean rides so far and were becalmed when they reached the first of the three ice waypoints.

“It seems surreal that the leaders are now over 1200 nm ahead, but it doesn’t faze us,” said skipper Ian Walker. “Bizarrely, morale is very high on board despite our predicament,” added Walker, who believes Leg 5 could still be all about who makes it to Itajaí in one piece.

Those that are limping, CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand (Chris Nicholson) bound for Puerto Montt in Chile, and Sanya (Mike Sanderson/NZL) heading for Tauranga in New Zealand, are making progress although the CAMPER team is concerned about a low-pressure system forming in their path. Their aim is to make the repairs to the bow without hauling the boat out of the water in Chile and return to the racetrack as quickly as possible to complete the leg.

Team Sanya announced today that after exhaustive enquiries, the boat will be shipped to re-join the fleet for the in-port race in Miami and the start of Leg 7. The team are due to arrive in Tauranga on Tuesday evening, where they will immediately prepare the boat for shipment to Savannah in the United States. Once the repairs have been completed, the team will sail the boat the 350 nm to Miami, arriving in early May.

For the leaders, it will be a further six or seven days of liquid hell before they are in range of the notorious Cape Horn, approximately 1500 nm ahead.

PaulR will be laughing now. This makes four boats that have had problems.

Unfortunately it is "NO" laughing matter, a deadly serious situation, with very few options.

There is no way I would want to be seen gloating or boasting about this.

Only concerned to express my thoughts early, rather than afterwards.

Been There, Done That :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

At the public discussion panel there was a guy on the panel who I think was a designer for the Open 60s. On more than one occasion he alluded to design/construction flaws in the Volvo boats. I think what he was saying was that solid layup was used in the Open 60s in the bow area and was more resistant to the slamming forces. That is all just my recollection of what was said and may not be exactly verbatim.

Archived