Yamaha 6 or Yamaha 8hp

Kiteroa

Anyone got a 2 stroke short shaft Yamaha 6 or a Yamaha 8 I can borrow for a couple of hours this week? Discovered a minor detail on WT... Since I rebuilt the rotted out outboard hatch rebate to it's proper shape my Merc 15 doesn't fit down the hole! Need an 8hp to make sure that fits before I hit trademe. Oops... :oops:

Probably not big enough but I've got a Yammy 5hp. Pretty new and barely run-in (less than 10hrs) so not suitable for thrashing at full noise for an extended time. But if you fancy doing some fast/slow for a few hours you're welcome to finish running it in for me. It's on AC at GH. Locked.

I'm in west Auckland, Te Atatu peninsula, but if someone is going to let me try out their motor of course I can grab it from wherever. It's more just to check that an 8hp will fit in the boat rather than actually using someones motor to go anywhere. I know the Yam 8hp's fit the other 8.4's but each boat is a bit different, so i'd like to check before I spend up on another motor.

Yeah AC, a Yam 5 fits fine, but I wouldn't want to risk doing some damage to your baby pushing WT around with it!

is your heart set on a Yammy or do other 8hp's get a look in?

I've just dug out my old 8hp Suzuki, need to sell that to pay for my smaller motor and some of KM's flash strings....

Have video of it running (started very nicely after about a 10 year 'sleep'!)

motor1.JPG

That is a pretty stylish 8! I bit the bullet and took a saw to the outboard well. i'm putting the slider assembly back together tomorrow, so we'll see if it's a winner then... Man it's nice to see WT all back together again!

P1010063a.jpg

I bit the bullet and took a saw to the outboard well.

geeze... your crazy! I certainly wouldn't be doing that to a newly refurbished boat!

I bit the bullet and took a saw to the outboard well.

geeze... your crazy! I certainly wouldn't be doing that to a newly refurbished boat!

Sometimes you have to stop beating around the bush and just smash through it! It will be sweet as.

That is a pretty stylish 8! I bit the bullet and took a saw to the outboard well. i'm putting the slider assembly back together tomorrow, so we'll see if it's a winner then... Man it's nice to see WT all back together again!

Looking very cool Dubyah Tee. Like the graphics. What time are you going in the water on Friday?

Looking very cool Dubyah Tee. Like the graphics. What time are you going in the water on Friday?

Fairly sure he said 2:30pm to me... I think... would go down.. but school...

Yeah around 2-2:30 on Friday. Then hopefully we'll sail down to Westhaven straight after. The graphics are courtesy of my girlfriend and a vivid!

Yeah around 2-2:30 on Friday. Then hopefully we'll sail down to Westhaven straight after. The graphics are courtesy of my girlfriend and a vivid!

Where are you gonna keep her (WT not your girlfriend)?

I was going to stick her on a friends berth in Westhaven for a week or so. That should give someone enough time to steal her. I'll wait a few days then pick her up at Stillwater or Weiti in time for the next winter series race.

But ultimately i'll be up at Gulf Harbour in the same berth she was before the refit.

Cool. Let me know when you are gonna be heading out and if I can make it I'll come out on AC and take some pics of you under sail.

Archived