Yacht Insurance on a Mooring (Okahu Bay)

dshorter

Hi All,

I'm a first time writer long time reader.

We have just bought our first keeler, a S&S 24 moored at Okahu bay.

http://www.dolphin24.org/coochita_Falcon24.html

Am already looking forward to some summer cruising, albeit she need a spot of work before then.

So I am having a bit of trouble finding insurance for the boat on a swing mooring.

Have tried club marine and mariner marine but no dice.

Only State so far has said they would think about it based on getting a out of water survey done.

Not sure on cost of this, can anyone advise.

What do other people do for insurance ?

Can anyone recommend a boat on swing mooring friendly insurance company.

Try Baileys, second from the top left hand side

Thanks for the recommendation.

FYI I just got in touch with Baileys and got the below reply.

Thanks for contacting us.

Very sorry, but we are unable to insure vessels in Okahu Bay.

Regards,

Neil Bailey

As you are discovering, it is hard to get insurance on swinging moorings so if State say they might consider it, that could be one of your only options. You might be able to arrange a cheap & chearful out of water survey option if you can dry out on some poles somewhere and pursuade the surveyor to trudge around at low tide. Cheaper than a lift and hold at one of the yards.

It is about the last thing you want to hear, having got to the point of buying a boat.

It does not bode too well for the future of Okahu Bay moorings either, if it becomes an area of uninsured boats.

Both insurance brokers advertising on this site are well regarded, so I wonder if it is worth following up your email with a phone call and a "generalised" discussion which might uncover some info that you wouldn't get in a written response e.g.:

- are they aware of anyone in the business still covering Okahu Bay?

- could they offer you cover with any exclusions that would be acceptable to you?

- should you reach the decision that you want to move to an alternative location, are there any other places that should be avoided?

Lastly, one further option, from a thread on the challenges of insuring multihulls:

ami paid out on my claim (after a fight) but would not re insure the boat after that stating it was outside the policy scope. at the risk of suggesting someone that dose not advertise on crew PIC have been awesome to me

I Second that one :-) PIC are great and infact im just in the process of moving House and Contents and other insurances to them too.

Get hold of Dan at PIC Insurance and see what he can do. Has the added bonus that they support alot of local yachting events too - BBYC Midweeks, Coastal Classic, Bay Week, BMW etc so worth looking after those that look after our sport.

It is about the last thing you want to hear, having got to the point of buying a boat.

It does not bode too well for the future of Okahu Bay moorings either, if it becomes an area of uninsured boats.

Both insurance brokers advertising on this site are well regarded, so I wonder if it is worth following up your email with a phone call and a "generalised" discussion which might uncover some info that you wouldn't get in a written response e.g.:

- are they aware of anyone in the business still covering Okahu Bay?

- could they offer you cover with any exclusions that would be acceptable to you?

- should you reach the decision that you want to move to an alternative location, are there any other places that should be avoided?

Had a quick talk to club marine insurance person at the time.

He mentioned anywhere in the Waitemata is excluded with exception of Greenhithe, Herald island and Tamaki River.

I've just struggled to get insurance for my cat Pulse. It would appear no-one is covering for any swing moorings at the moment, anywhere. Quite scary for us all really...

Doesn't seem to matter which harbour, how much shelter etc.

I have no doubt many people are currently covered, and possibly because it is an add on to other, larger insurance.

But as stand alone insurance it looks very difficult.

Many mooring contracts demand full insurance.

What are we going to do...?

The real question is why would you want to keep a nice 24' boat in Okahu Bay. There's a good reason insurance companies don't cover you there. Even if your boat and mooring is sound that sounds for nothing when then ferro shitter beside you lets go.

Try Baileys, second from the top left hand side

I tried Balieys, within a couple of days WT was fully race insured and all is taken care of. I went to a few other companies and they asked stupid 'no idea about boating' type questions and told me I'd have to do the survey/rig inspection/valuation thing. So I went to baileys. Neil (Neil Bailey) said yeah sweet, I know the boat, sign here. Done deal. And he was cheaper than everyone else!

Can't go wrong with baileys so it seems.

-oh, just read they turned you down! My mate is out of the water for a few months and has a berth free at westhaven. I could inquire about leasing that if you like. He's offered it to me but WT has issues with draft there.... I hear the rate is pretty good.

I've just struggled to get insurance for my cat Pulse. It would appear no-one is covering for any swing moorings at the moment, anywhere. Quite scary for us all really...

Doesn't seem to matter which harbour, how much shelter etc.

I have no doubt many people are currently covered, and possibly because it is an add on to other, larger insurance.

But as stand alone insurance it looks very difficult.

Many mooring contracts demand full insurance.

What are we going to do...?

This is a scary sign. Will insurance companies offer you even third party based you having a survey? Obviously if your boat is a Sh!tter no one wants to insure it, but that doesn't seem the case here. Okahu has a history of boats ending up in the rocks. Being forced to move to a marina purely because of insurance seems rude. Especially because in marinas your boat is not only more vulnerable to theft but also to landlubber joe and his launch driving skills. It artificially forces up the cost of owning a boat.

If the Harbour master was able to remove the floating damage traps from the mooring grounds and only well maintained boats on certified moorings were allowed (but determined by who) I don't see any reason for insurance to be turned down.

You could always make sure your boat is never going to sink on the mooring or break loose, and then take your chances. If anyone else breaks loose and hits you, go them for the costs. But then you don't have racing cover either.

Spoiler, a T32, was on a mooring at Okahu, and I know the insurance companies didn't want a bar of it until the owner made the mooring all chain, with a big steel hook. Then they were happy enough apparently.

I own a small trimaran I keep on my own moorings in Okahu Bay.Obviously insurance is a problem but so to the locals who can walk out to in on low tide and throw mud and graffiti it down the amas etc and use it as a diving board over the summer months. Even though the mooring is secure and up to date on its 3 yearly check and fix??? this doesn't stop illegal anchoring of (wouldn't really call it a boat) off ASC that has been there 6 plus months on anchor. I have contacted AHB twice but still no action. Maybe third time lucky. !!!!These floating junks are a real problem if they break loose in a blow.Finally I have had my tri hit twice on the mooring and the ama holed by kayaks I think. Its at home now!

I own a small trimaran I keep on my own moorings in Okahu Bay.Obviously insurance is a problem but so to the locals who can walk out to in on low tide and throw mud and graffiti it down the amas etc and use it as a diving board over the summer months. Even though the mooring is secure and up to date on its 3 yearly check and fix??? this doesn't stop illegal anchoring of (wouldn't really call it a boat) off ASC that has been there 6 plus months on anchor. I have contacted AHB twice but still no action. Maybe third time lucky. !!!!These floating junks are a real problem if they break loose in a blow.Finally I have had my tri hit twice on the mooring and the ama holed by kayaks I think. Its at home now!

hi GrayW

Which is your boat?

Its a farrier 18 trailer tri "Tranquilo", but its home at the mo for Winter and repairs!!! Mooring is for rent till December if you know anyone. Cheers

Hi guys we have full cover on mooring at Okahu bay and Tauranga for our 11mtr cat , as long as I tell them wot mooring she on . We went though 10 broker , only two would insure us Its called AON newzealand 09 4860499 I dont race this cat so know need for race cover good luck we have no big catamran racing in Tauranga because can't get race cover

AON are good, been using them for around 15 years insuring everything, they insured Black Fun on a mooring when I had her on one prior to moving to Westhaven. Never claimed on marine but had a burglary a few years back and the claim was a breeze. Didnt request a survey either. Full cover incl racing.

I was going to post AON as a suggestion but given they have only done mono insurance for me didnt think it was relevant.

Of course AON is another broker not an insurere - so there will be an underwriter behind the scenes somewhere, probably one of the usual names that crops up here.

Of course i have that situation of "we don't insure FC boats", so I guess the one company we have that does, thus charges what they do because we have no other choice.

Archived