T-Boned

Duty Free

In my first RNZYS race in my new boat , Duty Free , l was T-Boned with just 2.30 minutes to go to the start by a Magic 25 and sufferred quite serious damage --yes l was on Starboard , yes he was on port (15 minutes ahead of his start time ) and yes we were close to the committee boat (so right in the start area ) and yes we yelled at him before he hit.

I do know the sail number , boat and Driver .

The reason for this post is to see if anyone who knows the owner can suggest to him that it might be a courtesy to call me (or at least go to the sailing office and leave a contact number --in this country !!).

As yet there has been no contact at all , which is more disappointing than having a hole put in the side of the boat , scaring me and the trimming crew who thought a prod was going to come into the cockpit , and putting me out for probably a few weeks !!!!

Its also quite interesting how quickly a fully powered up Magic goes (with 3 crew stacking out ), how quick it stops when it hits a 1220 amid ships and how sturdy the 1220 is .

I'd also like to thank Boogie Flash and Brunschelli for giving me some room after being shunted around and causing them to have a horrendous start as opposed to a good one they ( and ourselves ) had set themselves up for .

So---any crew.org reader who knows the driver/owner please get him to call me on 021377315.

I just want his insurance company !!!!

Andrew

There seems to be more and more of this.. WTF? Port and Starboard is pretty clear cut unless one of you recently tacked... Why can't people be straight up and at minimum, courteous, after a prang on the water? It seems to be getting more and more like a supermarket car park....

And especially when you are in someone elses start line? This from the sailing instructions. There were problems with this in the past and it seems to slowly be happening again...

11.3 Boats whose warning signal has not been made shall avoid the starting area 100 metres to leeward

of a baseline formed by the Start Line plus an extension at each end equal to half the length of

the start line

slightly off topic, but a little related.

I assume you can protest boats not in your division, for failing to give way, or being in the start area when it is not their start?

But I can see why no one bothers. You actually have nothing to gain?

Duty Free we had a bit of an incident with a Magic before our Div C start too (us on starboard, and start coming up), possibly/probably the same one, managed to fend off before we ended up with a prod in the port topside. Even in a relatively slow speed situation the prod was a fairly hard thing to shift aside. Fortunate to not now be discussing the robustness of the Farr 1020 build v the 1220.

slightly off topic, but a little related.

I assume you can protest boats not in your division, for failing to give way, or being in the start area when it is not their start?

But I can see why no one bothers. You actually have nothing to gain?

The gain would be in waking up said boats to the reality that they shouldn't be gumming up the start for other classes. If it happens a few times it could reduce instances of this idiocy considerably.

You get crashes in upwind starts as well.

Although the issue here is boats being inside the starting area during a divisions start sequence.

fast working out that the protest is also irrelevant for establishing liability.

After my little start line games with a boat that obviously was not that flash on the rules I figured the best way is to let the insurance companies work it out. I gave mine three witness statement + photos and they have told me not to bother with the excess so obviously confident of extracting the money from the other party.

In my mind cash leaving the wallet is the best incentive to learn the rules and then obey them

And especially when you are in someone elses start line? This from the sailing instructions. There were problems with this in the past and it seems to slowly be happening again...

11.3 Boats whose warning signal has not been made shall avoid the starting area 100 metres to leeward

of a baseline formed by the Start Line plus an extension at each end equal to half the length of

the start line

We had to ask a E1050 if they would kindly Fu*k off out of the start with 2min to go.

It is bloody hard to dodge lead mines cooking their Saturday roast dinners in the middle of a start line when you are doing 15kts in all directions.

Archived