Hauraki Singlehanded Series

Richmond

WBC have an info line that we use to notify members if a race is cancelled. The number is 09/424 4452. The call to race or not race is made at 2 hours prior to the start time.

I reckon there is merit in considering allowing people under x years (say 8) on providing they dont assist.

I wasn't really considering doing the single handed series, however I had thought about asking the same for the SSANZ.

My nephew is 6 and his dad often cant get a leave pass to race as he is quite full on for mum. But if he could sit on the boat with the boys all would be solved.

We run a 2 handed series down here and allow kids on the boat provided they don't assist. Makes it easier for a some people to get out there, as BB says they are more of a hindrance to sailing performance.

Race One in the Hauraki Singlehanded Series is this Sunday up at Weiti:

NOR: http://weiti.co.nz/NoR_Pages/2012-2013/Weiti%20Boating%20Club%20NOR%20Short%20Handed%20Series.pdf

SI: http://weiti.co.nz/NoR_Pages/Weiti%20Boating%20Club%20Standard%20Sailing%20Instructions.pdf

Entry Form: http://weiti.co.nz/Forms/Race_Entry_Form.htm

Basic info: you can send your series entry and declaration in to RYC as late as Friday afternoon (later series entries will be accepted but to score in this race we have to have your signed entry and declaration before the race). Weiti accepts entries up to "before the start of the race" - contact the club for more details. It's a Sunday, 1030 start in Arkles Bay.

The Weather looks to be s stong Westerly / SW which makes coming from AKL or BBYC a mission but the word around the clubhouse on Weds night was that a few were planning to make the trip. You can check the number posted above (09/424 4452) 2 hrs before to see if the race is on.

Good luck to the early entrants that will race. See you out there!

Update:

A few more entrants got their series entry in to the clubhouse this week - if you have missed the deadline and wish to be in the series for Sunday's race please contact me to make arrangements. WBC would like to know your details asap to get the handicapping underway.

The weather for the Sunday race is improving - currently a strong westerly, which will make for a nice reach up and down the North Shore for those city boats commuting to the race.

Please take note that an amendment to the WBC shorthanded NOR has been made - see the HSS website for more information:

http://www.richmondyc.org.nz/information.php?info_id=40

Hey RB, what time do you plan to leave WHaven? The 2-hr phone line is a bit random as it takes longer than that to get there!

Not really random. You see we do that as a service to WBC members for all our races and two hours is a good timeframe in that situation. Any earlier and it can be hard to make a good call if the weather is marginal in either a light or heavy wind situation. If in doubt the boat goes out is my motto. If there is no doubt then it will be put up on the infoline by two hours prior to the start.

I know it takes longer than two hours to get to Whangaparaoa from town but I think it is the best we can do.

Hey RB, what time do you plan to leave WHaven? The 2-hr phone line is a bit random as it takes longer than that to get there!

Not really random. You see we do that as a service to WBC members for all our races and two hours is a good timeframe in that situation. Any earlier and it can be hard to make a good call if the weather is marginal in either a light or heavy wind situation. If in doubt the boat goes out is my motto. If there is no doubt then it will be put up on the infoline by two hours prior to the start.

I know it takes longer than two hours to get to Whangaparaoa from town but I think it is the best we can do.

AA - thanks for the explanation - I think it's a great service done by WBC for its members. For comparison, RYC has a policy of "no later than one hour before the start" for notices to competitors. That said, the Westhaven boats will have to head up or not on our own call. I'm headed out soon and will chalk this up to training if the race does not run.

The RO also has the series boats' contact details so can make an effort to alert them to possible cancellations.

Apologies AA- I did not mean to criticize at all as it is a reasonable approach, merely that we need to be on our way by then. See you there

Hey no sweat, I didn't see it as a criticism. I felt that an explanation would help you understand and unfortunately no I can't be out racing today, which is a pity as it looks like a great day! Hope you all had fun! :thumbup:

First race in the bag. A "reef and perhaps the kite isn't a good idea" sort of day, with a rough slog back to the finish in steep seas with gusts and squalls overlaid on a solid 15-20knt Westerly.

Over 50 miles on the day for the Westhaven boats - a good test of endurance and systems early in the series. I had a good day on Revolution Blues - a good start and first around the first mark, with Crocodile and Bump and Grind just behind. Then tried to get surfing with the jibtop on the way to Haystack, a mistake and cost me a lot of time and effort - rounded after both by a few minutes, then settled into the upwind back to Arkles and got quickly past Crocodile, who was struggling in the rough conditions, and was climbing above Bump and Grind. Somewhere around the bottom of Whangaparoa Bruce fell off for some reason and it was clear (very rough) sailing to the finish, first on line as a bonus.

Many thanks to WBC for getting the boats out - 3 made the trip from town (RB, Croc, and Manawa) and will score in the series.

Next race: A round-the-buoys, Waitemata harbour, no extras course run by Richmond on November 4th. Keep your entries coming in...

Archived