Hauraki Singlehanded Series

Richmond

what a day yesterday was. late launching the boat so I was 20 minutes late for the start thanks for starting me weiti.

solid 25 knots across to mackenzies with bullets of rain and squalls coming through. as I approached mackenzies I decided a 2nd reef was the order of the day as I was getting seriously over powered under 1 reef and no3.

Thought about pulling out but took a concrete pill and carried on as she felt much better with the second reef in and everything felt pretty good.

Headed down to haystack getting some serious surfs off the waves boat happily planing.

was thinking of a storm jib about 1/2 way down. I had a crack at putting the autohelm on but this wasn't happening as it coulding cope with the speed.

Started bricking it as we approached haystack with solid 30 - 40 knot squalls and 2m swells . raffertys rules was loving it and feeling really good so took a bit of harden the f*ck up and carried on.

I figured PLAN B would be to gybe and head off to oneroa for a picnic.

rounded haystack and hardened up, sails looked good, boat felt fine. had the self tacker jib nicely twisted which powered up the slot and the leech of the main was working well in between flogging its guts out.

headed for flatter water towards whangapoaroa which worked well. on the way spotted another mad bstard out sailing single handed.

had a most excellent race with colin on blazing white and just pipped him at the post.

most excellent race thanks to the guys from auckland for coming . now you know how it is for us in the simrad :wave: :wave:

Yes, a bit of a slog uphill! Tried hard to get going to McKenzies but the angles just not quite there for winding up. Managed a decent gybe there (ie, did not fall over or get a close up of Rangi light!) and then very flat off to Haystack. Good tussle with B&G, my old #4 and a reef vs his nice looking flappy things! (envy). RevBlues got tricky with his go fast sails but the effort did not pay off. After Haystack it was a seriously slow drive uphill. Battled to get to 2 kn and made good ground sideways towards Coromndel - B&G and RevBlues winding uphill really well and dissappearing. After about 30 mins of crabbing I was getting a bit worried, still in line with Haystck, and sort of desperately started to hike outboard - worked! That little bit of weight , plus lots of little tiller wiggles,was enough to get the flow working to get up to 4 kn in the right direction. Spent the next 2 hours hanging on with one hand, steering with the other and looking back and down at the rudder to watch and keep flow over the foil. Arms pretty buggered and seem to be dragging knuckles a bit today but I really learnt the value of any weight outboard and getting flow over the foils. Race lost by then but was easier under Whangaparraoooaororeo ( I hate the spelling!). Was surprised to see B&G only 10 mins ahead so presume something happened? Had a good skid back to North Head so easy trip back, and time for a quite frosty or two. Long day but really nice to sail up there - lots of space! Thanks WBC

Just an update that the previous page for the Hauraki Singlehanded Series has been changed during RYC's website upgrade to:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/ha ... ed-series/

A few new entries have come in - and Pete from Infiltrator is throwing down the "single gauntlet" to the 1/4 tonners... if some one has the old "Up to 26 ftr" email list handy put the word out.

Next race is the RYC Singlehanded Race on Nov 4th. Late entries to the series are encouraged!

Webpage is now:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/hauraki-singlehanded-series/

NOR is at:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/Hauraki-Singlehanded-Series-NOR_2012-to-2013.pdf

The webpage for the Hauraki Singlehanded Series is now up on the RYC website and the early entrants are listed. Good on Cool Change, Crocodile, Latitude, and Elysium for getting in at first chance. For more information and useful links:

http://www.richmondyc.org.nz/information.php?info_id=40

So far it looks like a small boat race in the extras division and a clash of the 40ft'rs in the no-extras division.

The first race is at WBC this Sunday - entries can be accepted up to 4PM on Friday to include this race as part of the series results.

See the the NOR (http://www.richmondyc.org.nz/siteadmin/uploaded/2012-2013/Hauraki%20Singlehanded%20Series%20NOR_2012%20to%202013.pdf) for more details.

The next race in the Hauraki Singlehanded Series is THIS SUNDAY - RYC’s Singlehanded Race on Nov. 4th. This is a round-the-buoys harbour race and no extras (for both HSS divisions) means it is a good introduction to singlehanded racing.

Late entries to the series are encouraged - but late entries to the race this Sunday are not. Both can be submitted to the RYC office up to 30 minutes prior to the first division start.

Please note: All series boats, regardless of handicap, should enter the RYC Singlehanded Race in the C division and race according to the C division courses, start time and flag.

Next race in the HSS is Nov 25th – The BBYC S/H Series 1.

Who's planning to race? I believe that Rev Blues and Crocodile will be there. I'd love to see BBYC boats and others use this as their first race in the series - only 20$ to enter he series.

BBYC has prepared an info sheet with the relevant details, see the RYC HSS webpage (http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/hauraki-singlehanded-series/) for full details.

BBYC Race officer Chris Marsh also had this to say:

"Please extend the welcome for any visitors to come back to the club afterwards, Kevin Glover from BJ Tyres puts on a great BBQ and a huge range of prizes so its well worth it for the loot! We can arrange any out of towners to park on the loading dock if we need.

The start boat for the first race is Aratai, our BBYC Launch, and i will be Race Officer for the first one, so if there are any questions please let me know."

Chris can be contacted via the BBYC website.

Last weekend's race out of BBYC was an amazing affair - over 20 boats, more than half in the extras division. The boats that got out of the blocks clean and with their sails drawing had a huge advantage.

Next race in the Hauraki Singlehanded Series is Dec 1st - This Saturday - a Richmond YC race from Westhaven to one of the local islands. The word was that the course (to be chosen on the day so do check the tower and bring the NOR) might be the RYC "original" Peter Blake Memorial course - from Westhaven to Torbay and back to the top of Motutapu. After the race check with the race officer (on the NOR) for where to park up for a beach BBQ and party before heading home.

NOTE: The RYC destination series NOR has some details HSS series entrant from other clubs should be aware of:

1.2 The Yachting New Zealand Safety Regulations Part 2 Category 4 plus a dinghy shall apply to keelers

BBQ and PRIZEGIVING

After Races 1, 2 (note: this is race 2), 4, 5, and 6 on the Saturday afternoon/evening a BBQ and prizegiving will be held on an appropriate beach. RYC will provide the BBQ. BRING YOUR OWN FOOD AND DRINKS.

Please listen on the appropriate VHF channel at 1500 hours for the BBQ location.

A good reminder to please read the NOR and SI for each race carefully before racing.

For more detaila:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/hauraki-singlehanded-series/

Race 4 Richmond SH Series

Saturday was a beautiful day for a yacht. Especially a solo sail. As usual for this series there was a good turnout of boats with some very competitive skippers. The fourth race of the series was the destination race with Richmond, the host club for the series. 10.00AM is a civilised time for a start and the breeze and the sun set the scene for a magnificent day on the water.

A nice run down the harbour saw some quick hoists and some good leads built early. There were some holes to watch for and of course the classics racing off Devonport. Once around North Head it was an easy reach up the East Coast Bays to Torbay yellow buoy. A real test between the spinnaker, the A-sail and the code 0s. In the end it was waterline length which seemed to count the most. I had to drop the gennie a way from the Torbay buoy but once around changed up to the masthead gennie. Got going well and had a nice ride across to Motutapu. By this time the front runners had built up a nice lead and I had to be satisfied with crossing just ahead of Vingilot. Not sure who won but congratulations to Heaven ‘n Hell, Latitude and Crocodile who all built great leads.

After crossing the line I followed Crocodile through the Rakino Channel and we had a nice sail home. What a great day. Next races are the Bucks weekend away on the 2 & 3 February next year.

Just a thread bump that the next HSS race(s) are this weekend - the BBYC gulf Alone Waiheke weekend.

Looks to be a fun event with a race out on Sat, a BBQ provided by the club, and a race back on Sunday.

Who's racing? I'm going to miss this one due to family obligations but will be back for the next HSS series race on Feb 15th.

Next race is Tomorrow - Feb 15th – a Richmond YC destination night race from Westhaven to Orapiu Wharf, Waiheke (the Te Kouma extension will not be sailed this year). Start is 1830.

This is the last race before the Route 66 – as a longer point-to-point race with a night finish it will be a good test of your preparedness for night sailing.

On Saturday morning check with the race officer (on the NOR) for where to park up for a beach BBQ and party Saturday afternoon before heading home.

NOTE: The RYC destination series NOR has some details HSS series entrant from other clubs should be aware of, please read the NOR and SI for each race carefully before racing.

Be sure to get your entries in to the RYC / SSANZ Route 66 singlehanded division race. The race documents can be found at:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/ro ... stal-race/

We’re halfway through the HSS – results, including series results are posted:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/results/

More information on the HSS:

3 races left in the HSS - next one is the two race weekend at Gulf Harbour put on by RYC / PCC / GHYC.

Not clear what's happening for the return on Sunday but for the race up to Gulf Harbour RYC sent out a notice of courses and other details:

Our final Destination Race is being run in conjunction with Ponsonby Cruising Club and Gulf Harbour.

Date: Saturday April 6th

Start: 11am

Spinnaker Div: Black Flag

Non Spinnaker: Yellow Flag

Courses:

1: ODM round Rangitoto & Motutapu (to port) – finish between mark boat flying PCC Club Flag and Kotanui Island (Gulf Harbour).

2: ODm to Northern Leading (Port) to Gulf Harbour – finish between mark boat flying PCC Club Flag and Kotanui Island (Gulf Harbour).

Please let Dave Frederick know if you are racing. Email: chain@ihug.co.nz Mobile: 021 650-881

Urgent response required by Monday 18th March 2013. (see below)

Do you require: a Marina berth at Gulf Harbour – approx $20.00 per night

Dinner at Gulf Harbour Yacht Club

If there is not enough people for dinner at the club then dinner will have to be at the local cafe.

Please let Dave know asap if you are intending on racing.

Next up is the DYC Singlehanded Race on April 13th. This race starts off DYC (Torpedo Bouy) and loops Rangitoto, Motutapu, and Motuihe to port, for a finish back at DYC. It's the final race in the series and there are still some undecided results:

For the club handicap results Revolution Blues and Heaven n' Hell are within a point in the race for the top spot and and Manawa, Crocodile, and Cool Change all have a chance at third place.

For the PHRF results Revolution Blues has 1st in the bag but the next two spots are up for grabs with Heaven n' Hell, Crocodile, and Cool Change all with a fighting chance.

A floating metaphor for the dichotomy of good and evil in Western religion seems to have wrapped up the line honours; if it wasn't for that pesky club handicap result one could just kick back in the heaven bag and soak up the glory with a homebrew in hand...

Please be aware of the following update from Andy Mason of DYC regarding the race this Saturday:

A couple of items of note that are in our Sailing Instructions but are worth emphasising:

1. From the warning signal all yachts need to stay outboard of the moored yachts and the fairway markers as noted in the SI.

2. The requirement for yachts to carry lift rafts or dinghy's has been removed from the NOR for the Single Handed race, as previously discussed.

3. Depending on the wind direction the sound signal from the club is not always that audible, however the starters are usually prompt and the visual starting signals are large and will be displayed from the club balcony.

Archived