Sail Fiji 2014

Aussie

Wow, I think Akarana have only really just set the dates and got the website up and running and they already have lots of interest.

http://sailfiji.co.nz/expressions/

Will be interesting to see how many people hold off going this year, now that RAYC have set their dates.

10 EOI now and we are working on a big one from AUS! Should be a fun race.

Well done akarana, got a website up and running already and the interest is growing, including one EOI from Aussie

This race will be huge,

Unfortunately I think people are holding off for it, which spoils this years race entries.

Until all the clubs promote and cooperate to run events they're on a hiding to nothing. Fiji 2011 17 boats, Noumea 2012 11 boats, Fiji 2013 10 boats. There should be 30+ boats doing an offshore race every 2 years with all the clubs promoting it and YNZ giving them $50k per race to promote and manage it.

Until all the clubs promote and cooperate to run events they're on a hiding to nothing. Fiji 2011 17 boats, Noumea 2012 11 boats, Fiji 2013 10 boats. There should be 30+ boats doing an offshore race every 2 years with all the clubs promoting it and YNZ giving them $50k per race to promote and manage it.

Think there were more than 11 boats. Maybe 11 finished, about 18 started?

I can understand entries being posted online but is anyone else uneasy with mere expressions of interest being posted online. As seen with the A2B it's open to abuse and misleading to the actual entries resulting (maybe thats intentional) If I was thinking of entering and hadn't got my ducks in a row I wouldn't want it put up in lights in case it didn't come together. Why not publicise entries, not tyre kickers. Might just be me :roll:

Bit like the Tornado's really. Media were falling over themselves to bump up the death toll, 40/51/91 more more more errrr actually 24. What wasn't 24 enough? Was for me, terrible, but not enough for the media...... can we get the innuendo, is the head dead yet, the guys in the newsroom have a running bet, dirty laundry....... oops sorry, rant over

is anyone else uneasy with mere expressions of interest being posted online.

We are promoting the event. How is this a bad thing? We are 12 months out (or if you look at the website, 381 days, 3 hours and 11 minutes) and are getting people excited about their plans for next year. I take these EOIs and all of them have been extremely positive that this is what they are doing next year. Our committee members are personally talking to people about the race.

Building momentum. This is what people get excited about. Each EOI on the list has completed the online form. The page clearly states that your name will go onto the list. If you don't want your name there, then you don't complete the form - pretty easy! http://sailfiji.co.nz/expressions/

Sponsors see that people are genuinely excited about the race, so they come on board. Three have already been secured - and they themselves are very excited about the race - all three are racing to Fiji.

Just get excited about what's coming up! Every club has great events on their calendar. You pick the ones that work for you and help the clubs promote it by being positive!

FYI - Sail Noumea had 17 entries from NZL and 12 from AUS - http://www.sailnoumea.com/entrants

Yes the NZL fleet got a little battered and bruised, but everyone said they still had a great race!

Back on topic - we are now up to 15 EOIs for Sail Fiji - I don't know about anyone else but I think that's pretty awesome!!!!

We are promoting the event.

Building momentum. This is what people get excited about. Each EOI on the list has completed the online form. The page clearly states that your name will go onto the list. If you don't want your name there, then you don't complete the form - pretty easy! http://sailfiji.co.nz/expressions/

Sponsors see that people are genuinely excited about the race, so they come on board. Three have already been secured - and they themselves are very excited about the race - all three are racing to Fiji.

Back on topic - we are now up to 15 EOIs for Sail Fiji - I don't know about anyone else but I think that's pretty awesome!!!!

Agree, at present 15 boats looking at it of which most i would say are likely to go.

Compared with this years race where the entries are 7 & 1 of which some will be struggleing for a race.

Hopefully this will keep building with more seeing what size boats are keen and enter themselves as they can see a race is on, not just on handicap.

More EOI the better chance of hanging on to and building on the sponsors.

Aussie do you think there should be a race - is there the appetite - to race north every year? Very few boats do consecutive races and the offshore fleet seems to be shrinking each year.

I'd say with A2B, RNI & Fiji it might be case of just too many events in one season. Just my opinion.

I hope there are 30+ for Fiji 2014 but there are some pretty severe forces stopping offshore racing. Last years Noumea insurance fallout has all-but put a stop to offshore insurance. Also we're in the midst of a real ugly recession that's hurting the marine industry BIG time (the sponsors).

More is sometimes less...

EOIs are interesting.

I think Suellen and the team are doing a great job of marketing Sail Fiji and giving it every possible chance.

I worked with the RNZYS this year and I've said on here before that a few weeks out from the entries closing I had 25-30 verbally telling me that they would definitely or probably race, and I was confident of a good fleet of 20, but by the time entries closed we were down to 9.

I don't know what the solution is but yes, the fact that there is a race every year - and other similar offshore events - does contribute to the smaller fleet sizes and the clubs need to talk.

The stated purpose of RNZYS race to Musket Cove is that RNZYS members may visit Musket Cove where there are various people and connections to the RNZYS. Clearly the number members wishing to do this varies from time to time.

Let's stay on topic. This thread is about the RAYC Sail Fiji Race in 2014. Zoe has started a thread about the RNZYS race.

We will continue to promote Sail Fiji, after all, RAYC is the home of Blue Water Sailing.

As a sponsor of events such as sail Fiji I am very happy to see the way this is headed, I think 1 year out all you can ask of people is an eoi, who knows what the next year will bring for each of us. When the times comes the entries will flow as this event has a great structure along with good backing of supporters from competitors to sponsors.

this certainly gives people a goal to work towards, It is not inexpensive to prepare a boat for these events and that I know for sure. But at the same time it does not need to get out of control.

What is does take is time in preparation.

There are still plenty of crew out there willing to chip in for their own expenses and perhaps even help out with the teams costs.

The rally for cruisers running with the event should attract a number also. The low cost of entry compared to other events will also help.

Suellen keep up the good work we need more people willing to get on and get things done.

Cheers,

RK

Your a dick !!
:thumbup:

just thought i'd agree with this statement

and how is this different from any other marina

Have to agree, what a tosser. Bet we never find out his real name.

Keep up the good work Suellen.

Archived