What performance instruments do you have aboard?

What do you have? (tick all that apply)  

450 members have voted

1. 1. What do you have? (tick all that apply)

• Wind - analogue display (even if digitally done)
    • Wind - digital display (i.e. numbers only)
    • Speed - basic
    • Speed - with target speed options
    • Depth/Temp
    • Chartplotter - knot visible from helm
    • Chartpoltter - visible from the helm
    • GPS - fixed
    • GPS - handheld
    • VHF - fixed
    • VHF - handheld
    • SSB
    • Satph
    • Stereo - Booboo/Motorboat biggie upsized
    • Stereo - normal dB's
    • Compass - basic
    • Compass - tactical

I just discovered that I have a relative (on my wifes side) that lives here in Auckland and is a Luthier. I think that is how you spell it and no it is not Satan worshiper, but a person that hand makes Guitars. He showed me some pictures and the workmanship is stunning.

Sorry for the thread drift.

have a lot of crap on some of the boats. use a compass for lift/knock. wind vane (was not on the 727 for a while after it got blown off in ssanz R3) and a speedo as referece if its working.

Performance gear, a EPIRP or Sextant or shortwave radio aren't.

A wet finger certainly is though, it's been the wind gear of choice on my beast for the last couple of season. The 'choice' being use the finger or climb the mast leading to certain death.... in my height hating mind at least ;)

a count down watch can seriously help your starts. so can a bowman with good hand signals....

crikey, I didnt know there was any other way to do it. try counting down from the 5min gun in your head!!

Just the basics for us,

speed, depth, timer, compas, and a plotter. Couldn't bring myself to put wind gear on after making so much effort to reduce the mast weight. Putting 500g + windage of electrics on the masthead would have undone all the good work on the other areas.

We do have a pretty high spec auto pilot though, which I would see as a performance enhancer in certain races.

We do have a pretty high spec auto pilot though, which I would see as a performance enhancer in certain races.
A X5 or whatever it's called?? The Raymarine one?

I have multiple tiller ones but are seriously considering a X5 for the TT.

Yeah, running the X5 pilot. Really happy with it. With the gyro and electroics in the middle of the boat and only the ram and control screen in the back end, the pilot gets a good feel for the motion of the boat and teaches itself how to sail quite well. It's got about the same power as an human helmsman, so it can chuck the boat around on a reach. If I had wind gear linked in, it would probably helm better than me!

Archived