Rudddergate

Battleship

Thought I'd start a new thread on this.

Some people may be bored shitless by it but I find it quite interesting all the maneuvering going on.

Please don't turn it into a shitfight.

Meanwhile a good explanation eventually by Max.

Totally agree, it is plain and simple cheating. The cup holder does not have a vessel that can "safely" compete under the rules (that they wrote!). So they now wish to change the rules. Seems a common theme in AC, although this is probably the most blatant yet.

Interesting how the coastguard has to issue a permit for the event, and that now includes the rudders design....

Even if the protest by ETNZ is won, the coastguard could still prevent them sailing...

AND, if the boats don't comply, how can they start the LV the day after tomorrow??????

As has happened before, Britannia may have ruled the waves, America just waives the rules!

Totally agree, it is plain and simple cheating. The cup holder does not have a vessel that can "safely" compete under the rules

Yes it can just not when it is foiling. :lol:

Does seem a pretty sad event if the challengers were to take advantage of the Artemis accident even though thats what it looks like, how could they!

You can imagine ETNZ and LR were watching them launch and sail their boat 2 with out of rule rudders just waiting for something like this. It is so obviously in breach of the agreed rule that I can't believe they are trying it on.

Wouldn't like to be I the shoes of the International Jury. You can just imagine the pressure they will be under both inside and outside the room. The sceptic in me doesn't have a positive view on the outcome...

as I understand it ETNZ has asked the IJ whether the RD Iain Murray has the right to make an arbitrary change to the class rules without the unanimous consent of all the teams as stated in the class rules.

Assuming the IJ agrees with ETNZ on this point then ETNZ would be free to discuss with the USCG their reasons for believing their rudders and overall design meet the safety requirements that Iain Murray has attempted to address.

Then I guess OR would have to ensure that they complied with both the class rules and the USCG safety requirements.

I think there is some water to go under the bridge yet

I find it bizarre that with this massive game changing decision the there is no appeal or IJ action until after the racing has been scheduled to start.

as I understand it ETNZ has asked the IJ whether the RD Iain Murray has the right to make an arbitrary change to the class rules without the unanimous consent of all the teams as stated in the class rules.

Assuming the IJ agrees with ETNZ on this point then ETNZ would be free to discuss with the USCG their reasons for believing their rudders and overall design meet the safety requirements that Iain Murray has attempted to address.

Then I guess OR would have to ensure that they complied with both the class rules and the USCG safety requirements.

I think there is some water to go under the bridge yet

I agree. It’s going to be complicated. However the longer this drags out the better. The ETNZ boat works without the tweaked rudders. Seems the OR boat is marginal without changes. OR still has to allow for the possibility of the rule being changed back and they need to progress designs & parts in case that happens.

according to Max Sirena the OR boat is already outside the class rules as the rudder is within 1m of the stern (850mm).

The stern like the bow is supposed to act as a crash box and is the reason for the 1m rule...if Max is correct it is interesting that OR thought it was ok to build a boat that was not class legal when it was launched.

Only in America, could the cup holders find a "back door" way to change the rules 1 week out. I guess we should be lucky the USCG didn't suddenly rule we need to show up in a tri-maran ! , or perhaps that would be too obvious as to who's calling the shots here.

Go ETNZ ! Rise above it !

An as yet , not understood mathematical and chemical formular. As much as the mathematics are unclear as the heat goes up it cause a reaction that seems to change the numbers......

This therum has been named "ACheat funtionX"

------------------------------------------------------------

AC = Litigation (L) - Mitigation (M) (X 5 if USA )

IF loss risc is greater than Sponsors$s (S$) THEN add factor (6 X (L)..IF loss risc is less than (S$) THEN add (2 X (L)...

THE subset (SKILL) add variable +/- 5% (S$) , therefore +/- 5% (L).

A Determining interest factor, shown is that as (L) goes up, interest goes down Effecting (S$) only offset by the random but influential factor EgO...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It has taken a huge amount of work to get to this point but there has always been a discrepency in the formulars totals.......It has been discovered that this is a very rare but also constant factor that van be described as (SAILING 1%)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Due to the edit time rules......

please substitute the word "van" for the word "can"

you will see on the keyboard that the letter V and C are side by side. Unfortunately my fingers (even though i did play classical piano ....... :shh: ....) or perhaps because of it... :roll:

miss a keyboard letter.

Ogre.....take the time out to at least 4 hours...

If the result is not good for you then , fair enough.

Ps the miss spelling of risk was on purpose.....

"I can just hear Dennis Conner saying, Why would you build and test a rudder that was outside of the class rule, unless you wanted to cheat - George Backhus"

...and w^&#$@r of the Day goes to.... Iain Murray!

How is this not coercion?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=10894680

...not to mention childish and entirely in the realm of 'if you don't play my way, I'm taking my ball home'.

"The "ruddergate" debate has become even messier, with America's Cup regatta director Iain Murray threatening to scuttle the event unless his safety recommendations are upheld by the international jury."

I have got to agree with Dalton when he raises concerns as to the safety of the crew should someone go overboard and smack into one of these winglets whilst travelling at 40 knots plus.Ian Murray has got this entirely wrong and these winglets are nothing but cheese/crew cutters.

"I can just hear Dennis Conner saying, Why would you build and test a rudder that was outside of the class rule, unless you wanted to cheat - George Backhus"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

popcorn is popping in the microwave and im having a great laugh. This is crazy how childish old men are getting in public (please note I was to young for any of Dennis Coners and the kiwis antics).

Can you imagine how much legal action would transpire if the event was canned because Oracle had simply failed to design a safe boat? This is why ETNZ are out mixing it up in decent winds - To demonstrate it's all bollocks.

Archived