yacht buying advice...

Dude

Ahoy fellow sailors. I need some good advice.

Got my eye firmly fixed on a nice American made yacht berthed at Gulf Harbour.

2001 model with Kubota diesel donkey running V drive with 1600 hrs.

This GRP boat is in mint nik and I would like advice on the following...

1. How good are Kubota,s? Also known as universal motors I think.

2. What should be done to this motor @1600hrs. (Runs like a dream)

3. Who the best survey dude out GH way?

4. Just out of interest - pre a survey what would be your top "hit list" items you would check before deciding to either go to survey or walk away?

For me general hull, sails, donk, and mast evaluation would be up there but I am interested in other peoples view points.

Cheers :thumbup:

Sounds like a nice boat, best advice is to now find a good surveyor..If this hull has been built using modern techs then it should be ok..but early heavy gunstock hulls built in the US were prone to chronic osmosis. That said I have never heard of a boat being lost as a result of blisters... A well serviced modern motor will do thousands of hours, pulling the dip stick will often be a great indicator. Just remember the formula Motor Mast & Sails..they are generally the most expensive replacement items.

Don't get fooled by a load of flash instruments as they are getting better and cheaper by the day and are likely to be more trouble than they are worth..

Best of luck with your find.

...Don't get fooled by a load of flash instruments as they are getting better and cheaper by the day and are likely to be more trouble than they are worth...

Very good advice!!!

If you are knot racing, then . . .

Just go sailing for a few days without turning them on.

The sailing is just as enjoyable, if knot more so !!

A paper chart to avoid reefs & rocks and a pair of eyes is all you need, apart from the essential rum of course . . . or should that be "off course" :think:

Generally boats have a 20 year refit lifetime, that is over and above all the regular maintenance that is done. electronics age and degrade, sails wear out, rigging suffers from fatigue, ( already at the insurance cut off of some companies) you get the picture? this boat is past 1/2 way there. Kubota are one of the better motors available as marine conversions, But they are reliant on good maintenance as any diesel is, is there a maintenance log? Oil & filter changes, condition of hoses and hose clips ( 2 on each salt water connection) etc etc. Don't let your heart rule your head, It is still a buyers market and will continue to be in the foreseeable future.

Mike Menzies is the glass boat surveyor, Kubota is the base engine for the small Beta and Nanni diesels, whilst not a marine engine with a good marinisation will give big hours, like all modern small diesels change the oil - give it clean fuel and change the impeller regularly and all will be well. And get big Steve to do a rig check.

All of the above, but I'd want to know what the deck is . Like, is it balsa core ,for example. Balsa core can be another way of saying chicken noodle soup.

I would add is it any good as a sail boat ? There are heaps to choose from and it depends on what you want to do with it of course but a boat that is a dog and can't sail well is not a good option. Tell us what the design and stats are and I am sure someone here can give good advice.

All of the above, but I'd want to know what the deck is . Like, is it balsa core ,for example. Balsa core can be another way of saying chicken noodle soup.

I thought about that john B and asked the dealer and he did not know.

It's a Catalina. i think it is a core jobby as it looks way to thick for solid GRP

Can't find any info but are currently looking at a website set up by owners that has a forum.

Will ask question and see what comes back.

thanks Dudes. Thats all very helpfull :D

A lot to mull over.

There is plenty of stock but it has 6'9" headroom which is very usefull :thumbup:

And yes it has great electronics. but you dudes are right. Get the basics right the rest is a bonus.

Thanks.

Which model catalina?

A friend just sold his Catalina 42 in ausy. A well equiped boat he had sailed there from the states.

A pretty good boat that sails well for a cruiser...

Mike Menzies seconded as a good surveyor - but brutal and ruthless. Brokers hate him.... For good reason - he makes their jobs harder as all boats have problems..

Kubota motors are great wee things. Tractor engines basically, and in a well maintained state, will easily do an absolute minimum of 5000 hours. And in a tractor they get a hard life with shock loading etc. Just keep it well services ( and check service records ).

More importantly, make sure the thing is sound, and sails well. Those are the two things that are hardest to fix!.

Archived