When is it to old to sail ?

idlerboat

Think about this one.

Just got off the phone to a good friend. Hes 74.

Now decided he cant go solo. (and his partner dosnt want him to).

I know him well, and know that he has made some mistakes....the odd thing is...the mistakes he has made are just the same as some pisssed friends.

He is fit , they are not.

He has huge expirience.

They dont.

I would sail with him any day.

I would never with the other.

There is obviously no correct anwser to this, but,in other worlds age limitations are in place. (driving, flying )

Age limitations are going to get a place , and in law, soon, for marine activities.

Now is the time to start thinking about it.

There is obviously no correct anwser to this, but,in other worlds age limitations are in place. (driving, flying ) Age limitations are going to get a place , and in law, soon, for marine activities.

Actually, there aren't.

There are _competency_ (edit: and _medical_) tests which get progressively more frequent as you age, but the authorities responsible for neither motoring nor aviation impose an age "limit". And in both those activities there is a vastly increased likelihood of damaging somebody else when things go awry.

And before you can remove someone's licence to sail for any reason whatsoever, you first have to have issued it... something which doesn't exist in NZ.

And before you can remove someone's licence to sail for any reason whatsoever, you first have to have issued it... something which doesn't exist in NZ.

sorry should have said...I am from Oz, and most places in the world have to have licences.

The chances of NZ not having licences in the very near future is Zero.

( I wish it wasnt so)

As a smaller population, and geographly distant place, you are still a part of the western world movement.

Oz is similar.

It is like a virus of "best practice ideology"

You: and I will put money on it...will get infected.

Thats why I said think about it now.

There is obviously no correct anwser to this, but,in other worlds age limitations are in place. (driving, flying )

A friend handed his drivers licence in recently - he had had his 100th birthday a year or two before I think. There is no age limit in NZ.

Under NZ law it is illegal to discriminate due to age. Any change in law relating to restricting what someone can do due to getting old would be hard to get through. I cannot see politicians restricting what the could do when they get old.

I understand that rigger,

but here just as an example , although we have some anti age discrimintion laws, they by pass this by taking it to health and well being laws.

That is, statistics state that you at an age of "X" are a provable greater risk to the greater population (just like a new driver) therefore we will impose restriction and checks on you. Perhaps an annual eye check and mulitple choice question plus a health assesment.

Rember laws, are made to be changed. In both NZ and OZ legal systems, unless it is in the basic "constitution" it is as flexible as the next election and court challenge.

You: and I will put money on it...will get infected.

I hope you're wrong but am afraid you might have a point... If we do it will be the morons-without-lifejackets-in-overloaded-tin-dinghy brigade that provoke it. God I wish we could issue IQ-based breeding licences...

The thread has changed from 'age' to licence.

On the age issue, it's more about confidence. A mate of mind recently sold his boat and has pretty much given up. He's about 73. I asked why and he said that when he gets a bit knocked about it hurts more and takes longer to heal and he felt he was slowing down. But essentially he'd lost much of his confidence to keep himself and crew safe.

On the licence thing. Maybe it's time. Many people don't even know the basic rules of the road, like keep to the right, not more than 5 knots within 50 metres, under sail boats have right of way etc. They are a danger to themselves and to those that have to rescue them. They are almost always the same idiots that run out of fuel, have shoddily maintained vessels and don't wear PFDs.

Wouldn't compulsory licensing make it safer for us all?

PS and the two links above to articles aboiut old dudes circumnavigating are awe inspiring. Also recall Sir Francis Chichester was 66 when became the first person to achieve a true circumnavigation of the world solo from West to East via the great capes.

On the licence thing. Maybe it's time. Many people don't even know the basic rules of the road, like keep to the right, not more than 5 knots within 50 metres, under sail boats have right of way etc. They are a danger to themselves and to those that have to rescue them. They are almost always the same idiots that run out of fuel, have shoddily maintained vessels and don't wear PFDs.

Wouldn't compulsory licensing make it safer for us all?

The usual health-and-safety logic in which the sensible majority are dragged down to the lowest common denominator.

As you point out, they're a danger to themselves. I say, let 'em drown; cleans up the gene pool.

There are already laws in place; I'd rather see more enforcement, more education and maybe more proactive reporting of the idiots by the non-idiots.

Back to the age thing: Methinks if you still feel confident to sail the boat, you're OK. If you no longer feel confident then presumably you won't enjoy it and it is therefore a self-limiting issue.

The chances of NZ not having licences in the very near future is Zero.
Knot having a crack at Idler but I do find it interesting so many Aussies assume that as they have done something, in this case got boat licenses, NZ will shortly follow. I get that commonly from Aussies and in many ways on many subjects. As yet none have proved to be the case and it's probably that NZ complex thing they have that also stops them from acknowledging that at times Aussies would be better off if they did listen to NZers, something else they seem to find bloody hard to do. Oh well.

Back to the subject - You are only to old if you can't do what you need to do to go for a yacht.

I have a friend who has gone out fishing in his tinny on Whg harbour once or twice a week for as long as I have known him (at least 40 yrs). He's pushing 90. Recently his doctor told him he had to stop. He asked why.the doctor said "you could easily die out there". He said "effing good job". And continues to go out at least once a week.

I did the Mahurangi Classic race on my boat 3 years ago. We had Con Thode on board as skipper. He helmed for about half the race. At that stage he was 100. He is planning on coming to Mahurangi in january. He will be 103. That's pretty hard to beat I would imagine !!

The thread has changed from 'age' to licence.

THANKYOU.

its not where I started.

My "adjustment" to the change of thread is what I am quite sure will happen.

I find no justification for KM assertion that NZ is in anyway unique to global trends of western world public legislation...I do belive you now have speed cameras ?...perhaps breathalysers ?...and dont crap me off by saying "oh thats differant"

The speed camera is at its very finest in my good state of Victoria Australia....we exported it to the rest of the world.

You are completely delusional if you dont think it will happen...the only differance is time.

As stated, they wont say you cant, they will just say you have to prove that you can !! No differant to the rest of the world.

My post was about "when is it to old to sail ?"

Do you tell friends to be more carefull if you see they are having troubles ?

Perhaps not even old but have SP or MS ...do you suggest that they need to "get assitance" or "slow down" or "hey if your comin down the marina, let me know and I will grab you when you are comming back in"...

And then they crash into the next boat.

This is not a negative post...I want it to be real.

I intend to sail as long as possible...but may sail passed that. In that case, I assure you I will be angry if someone stops me.....But what if...just maybee...I am lucky enough to have others help ? Both to continue sailing and to help with the transistion to not ? ?

Its not so dumb when you think about what I am saying. I am 50...time does march on. I watch right now some of my very best friends who are 75 plus, huge adventurous people, who are go through this right now. One is already completely shattered......

That may be you.

I think it just gets harder to stay fit and strong. Sailing involves a lot of strength in hands and also core strength so some regime that includes these factors would likely help a lot. Maybe a cast iron beer mug! :lol: Tai Chi practise would be excellent for core strength and hand strength and also improves balance as well as a million other benefits. Maybe a bar to do chinups on would help. Use it or lose it.

Like many things in life, there are stages.

Sailing :?: IB's post mentioned "solo" which I would totally put in a different league to cruising with younger people also onboard to assist. Equally solo over the high seas or an ocean passage is totally different to a solo trip that may be for a couple of hours on a nice sunny warm day with fair winds and smooth seas.

Racing is different again, more focus and pressure.

I find it truely inspirational to know, sail with and compete regularily against more senior sailors than myself. Specifically yesterday when John Beck turned 88 and also Bill Miller who was 88 a few weeks ago. They race often, at least a couple of times a week in winter and more times a week in summer.

The problem is they keep winning :!: :!: :!:

Yaching is such a great sport that senior saiilors can compete equally with the younger "bullet proof" youth and enjoy each other's competition efforts.

So it really depends on the individual. Long may they continue. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived