When is it to old to sail ?

idlerboat

We have a crew member in his mid 70's who regularly sails rum races with us and always does delivery trips back after longer races. He sold his boat 5 or 6 years ago due to age but still loves getting out on the water. This year he will be doing the coastal with us after a number of years away. We all accept that when he's on the boat he is pretty much restricted to helming / sitting below when off watch but in return we end up being better sailors as we get access to a vast amount of knowledge and experience and he has pretty much done it all. He is certainly a kiwi from that age of "I'l'll give it a go". A couple of weeks ago we had a get together where him and his wife spoke about his boat sinking a few years ago and his subsequent rescue off the coast of Australia. His wife spoke about what it was like to be on land waiting for news.

He has been realistic about what he can and cant do (his expectations go up after a few rums) but he is still able to do what he loves and will so for a number of years to come and the crew of all ages enjoys having him on board.

Thornbury Sailing Club Founding member Edmund Grace was still racing his YW Dayboat (open 14' clinker dinghy) in his late 80's. Whilst he may not have been as sprightly as he once was, he kept going, and enjoyed every moment. His boat would have been close to 50 years old too.

Interesting thread as this was raised not that long ago at a seminar held by Yachting Australia, in Adelaide

question was along the lines of average age in some sports .... but the crunch was that sailing has higher average age of participation than ....... wait for it, yes, Lawn bowls.... so go figure.

Age is a perceived condition, something we are taught from birth, after all you are only as old as the person you feel.

God help anyone who ever tries to stop me sailing,

In the 2010 sail Indonesia fleet, the oldest sailor was 78. The average age I think would have been early 60s. Most of these boats were out sailing the world....as Nike say, Just do it!

Archived