A interesting harbour entry.

SloopJohnB

Hi SJB,

I'm surprised there are no comments? Like WOW good clip!!

How about things done wrong?

I'll start

1/ Entering that harbor in those conditions (did they have to?)

2/ Timing of the entry could have been better!!

3/ Casual manner - guys on deck, not clipped on etc

4/ Did they all have lifejackets?

5/ Left the crew to be collected by a faster but less seaworthy vessel...

Good example of how a breaking wave of about 1/3 the vessels length can cause a knockdown or capsize

Interesting BBay, I thought she righted pretty well. She was knocked down pretty hard, and it takes a while to overcome that energy... By the time she was upright, the righting speed was pretty fast I thought.

I think the correct boat went to the rescue, would not have wanted to take the yacht into that part of the entrance.

Although did notice the first boat out turned back.

This was a gripping quarter hour of production lost by my colleague and I. lol

Any background? Where/when/who? Looks like Sth East English coast.. brrrr, cold. The 10 minutes would have felt like a lifetime for people in the water.

Agreed Hayden, easy from here! However, personally I'd have everyone in the cockpit, lifejackets on, clipped on short harnesses, washboards in, hatch closed and locked. It looks to me like they had none of those things :shock:

the rescue fizz boat could have dropped a line [ if he had one] and then slowly towed them over to the channel to get them out of the water. And yes if they had been below they would have been better off,but often people want to be on deck to see what is happening. Looked like the yacht was lucky not to go into the rockwall when they were hit by that wave.

I'd love to know the mind set of the skipper. No way id have people out of the cockpit esp not on the bow! Me id be heading out to sea or the the next mariner round the corner that looks more sheltered (go google maps) Matt I saw Snow White 2 coming across the bar yday in 35knots nw big sea running...the bounced 7times and got stuck for what seemed like and eternity...not pretty!!

Yep, can be easy to hit the Mana bar if it's choppy. Snow White has been there long enough to know the depths...

In this case I'm not sure I'd have the crew inside - too much chance of a broach putting you into the rocks... Outside, tied on in the cockpit would be my choice. With Lifejackets of course!

Matt

Archived