Where does one sail after doing NZ and the Pacific?

So I've sailed most of NZ and done Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Cal where does one sail after visiting these countries i.e. Countries and areas I can sail easily from NZ.  

Any ideas?  Need to head somewhere next year and this year we have found the Pacific a bit boring after doing it several times.  Somewhere that provides something a bit different, was thinking Tasmania but open to ideas.  

We are leaving the boat in Vuda, Fiji and heading home in a week, been a blast but very different cruising with kids on board this time.  

Amazing the difference sailing here with a newer boat, virtually no mechanical break downs or problems (touch wood) so far.  

Southernman

I have friends who spent 2 years around Japan and loved it, Or head for Europe you can (depending on Draft) go up the Rhine and down the Danube or vice versa, Into the Rhone from the Med, canals all the way to the Baltic. circumnavigate the UK. Caribean etc.etc.

...I have spent many months sailing Tassie waters and the Bass Strait Islands. (Including a circumnavigation.)

Well worth a visit if you have seen one to many palm trees : )

There is a cruise in company called the VDL every two years but I dont like crowded anchorages so have always gone it alone.

The weather on the little bit of south coast and the large west coast demands respect. Seas of 8 metres are not at all uncommon. Avoid the colder part of the year not least because ti can rain for 200 days a year ...

The biggest problem on the west coast is the lack of all weather anchorages.

Having said that as long as you exercise patience then a suitable weather window to jump too and in and out of Macquarie Harbour will be found.

Macquarie Harbour Entrance ( Hells Gates) needs to be timed with only limited protection outside in Pilot Bay. The harbour itself is large and can have higher wind speeds than outside but it also has lots of very protected bays.

The jump from Reasearch Bay to Port Davey is a long day sail and again patience followed by a motor sail will get you there in the best conditions. There is limited VHF contact south and west but one of the worlds very best volunteer Radio services has sceds on HF as well. Otherwise take a satphone. I run both, but listen to the weather twice a day to keep the overal trends in mind. The first time I went to Port Davey I had 55 knots well inside for a couple of days. The last time (a few months back) we had the remarkable slow moving system ......we had blue skys, warm days and zero wind for a week !! ...This is definitely not normal..

The East coast is very nice with lots of anchorages once you get to the Freycinet Peninsular. ...and from there all the way south.

Full vhf. Cape Raoul, Cape pillar, The hole in the wall, has been labled one of the most spectacular sea scapes in the world.

The North coast is less scenic and the anchorages are more spread out. You are also dealing with Bass Strait. People make the mistake of to little respect here. The whole of bass Strait is a shallow shelf that takes the southern flow. Short very high backless waves can build up very quickly. 

The islands have strong tidal flows and you must be prepared to move anchorages, but are also wild places. A lot of the passages between the Eastern islands are sands. Best to have a good up to date set of lons and lats to run through some of these. ...Last time I went into Lady Barron on Flinders island . (Not to be confused with Cape Barren island right next door) 

The light leads would put you aground due to the shift in the "Pot Boil" This is a very not funny area to run aground...

Overall , I would recommend it , but take your time and a jumper.

Yachts come here from all over the world as one of their ultimate destinations. I have not heard of any disappointment and quite a few end up staying for a year !!

• Upvote 1

......if you do call in to Lord Howe, dont forget that you need to observe ALL the Oz inbound  protocols. Including and importantly the advanced notice. 

Its very expensive to get it wrong...

Inward clearance is not particularly hard, but is strict and using old information is not considered an excuse. The cost is about $400 at the moment.

Lord Howe is not a full clearance port so it is well worth ringing Coffs Harbour Border Force for the current rules.

after leaving Lord Howe you will need to proceed directly to a full clearance port with no stops or crew disembarkation.

The following may help but should be confirmed.

http://www.lhib.nsw.gov.au/sites/lordhowe/files/public/images/documents/lhib/Tourism/Information%20For%20Visiting%20Vessels%202015-2016.pdf

Yep good point. We called in there leaving from Surfers which is probably a bit different. We called up on the VHF and asked what we should do. The Police guy responded just come ashore with your passports. We asked where do we find you? He responded don't worry I'll find you. Sure enough we were walking to the shops and he pulls up stopping his truck in the middle of the road. He hops out, in shorts and bare feet and shoots the breeze about sailing etc for a while. "Just give us a call as you leave" were his final words to us.

Pretty much mirrored the tone of the laid back Island.

Huge difference if you are an Australian vessel or if you are clearing out from Australia.

Please do take this seriously...the fines are in the thousands..

They process may be a pain but there is no corruption and the rules are clear..

You also  (unintentionally ) come under Australia,s "boat people" legislation. I have cleared in and out of Australia and had extensive talks with Border force officials. Mandatory detention is even a very real possibility if they believe the laws have been flaunted.