Boating now heavily restricted

13 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

I have sent the following email to Coastguard's communications manager:

Coastguard issued a media release on Tuesday 21 April, which included the following statement:

During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital 

As a boatie and Coastguard member I would be interested to know the general nature of each of these 9 responses.

In particular in the case of the medical transfers I understand from another source that these were transfers from islands being undertaken on behalf of the police as Deodar is currently out of the water – is this correct?  

Were all 6 medical transfers COVID patients or were some patients with other medical issues?

I will post their reply when received.

Good on you for taking the time to do this. As a member I would also be very interested to know if they are putting a spin on things. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree the govt has form for changing its mind on a whim, but in this context I don't have a problem with it. They are having to make decisions with massive ramifications very quickly and on limited fa

The higher the alert levels, the less rights you have. This is not some form of sinister Gvt control of the People however. It is about keeping the Public safe in a time of crises. You yourself might

Your comment is out of line and I've reported it. We don't need racism in NZ, or anywhere. #givenothingtoracism

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, k88 said:

Not sure if been discussed re insurance and boat use during 3 & 4, just got this frm my insurer, which is very succinct:

Is your boat covered by insurance, if being used during the Covid-19 Level 3 & 4 Lockdown?
NullB-600-20.png
If you use your boat, having been told by the Government that you shouldn't, then the short answer is "No". It would be regarded as a reckless act and/or wilful misconduct, and your pleasure craft insurance policy contains an exclusion for that.

As per the NZ Government’s instructions around recreation on a Level 3 or 4, here’s details of the Government position: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/#recreation This clearly states that boating is not allowed.

For a more detailed position on sports and recreation activities including water sports, see: https://sportnz.cwp.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Play-Recreation-and-Sport-Detailed-Level-1-4-Table.pdf

Please feel free to contact us if you require any further clarification.

And on behalf of all the fish out there - thank you for staying at home!

I assume then they are issuing credits on insurance?

My aircraft insurer did automatically putting all non-commercial planes on ground risks only for a month

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

I have sent the following email to Coastguard's communications manager:

Coastguard issued a media release on Tuesday 21 April, which included the following statement:

During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital 

As a boatie and Coastguard member I would be interested to know the general nature of each of these 9 responses.

In particular in the case of the medical transfers I understand from another source that these were transfers from islands being undertaken on behalf of the police as Deodar is currently out of the water – is this correct?  

Were all 6 medical transfers COVID patients or were some patients with other medical issues?

I will post their reply when received.

appreciate that - would be good to know 

Nobody is suggesting you don't insure. I'm saying the difference between flying risk and ground risk is 50% off your premium. Most good aviation insurers are crediting the owner with that while the plane can't be flown.

Marine insurance companies are creaming it at the moment because the payouts will be zilch. That profit they are making can and should be passed on the owners. Several insurance companies have already announced that for car insurance. AA for example.

And thats without looking at the additional premium you might be paying for racing risks which won't be needed for at least a sixth of this year

But hey, if you're happy to throw money at them, don't let me stop you. Just don't come on here next year complaining about the cost of boating

49 minutes ago, Elenya said:

My boat is safely tucked up in the marina not breaking any rules but I want it insured still.

I have personally seen more boats sink and wreck parked in Marina and on moorings than I have seen in action, would be at least 50 and I suspect nearer 100 and thats just in NZ.

1 minute ago, BOIGuy said:

I have personally seen more boats sink and wreck parked in Marina and on moorings than I have seen in action, would be at least 50 and I suspect nearer 100 and thats just in NZ.

Yup I am with you here we have been hit at least twice in a marina (both times destroying a windpilot self steering gear). Exactly why I want it insured and see no difference or lesser risk just because I can't go out on it. Conversely I wouldn't expect my house insurance to increase over lock down because I am using it more.