Problems with safety equipment

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someones getting paid off big time to keep these on the market.

Found these articles, very informative, I think your right IT but apparently most clips on the market will do the same. You need to read all three to get the whole picture. Just read the last one if y

Posted Images

The ‘inadequate clips’ are fine if used as intended. I believe if most tether clips get caught and side load they will be much weaker.

i had 2 strobes on voom that floated on their side, replaced after Tim C bought it up.

I had an old liferaft i inflated. Torch batteries were flat, possibly spares flat too. Flares were 2 years out of date, liferaft only 1 yr out of service.

My PLB with a 7 year life stopped working after 5, replaced by manufacturer. Test them people (check the time, just after the hour maybe?)

And here is one of my own making. I unscrewed the canister in my inflatable lifejacket for flying. 12 months later opened up to service and canister fell on floor. I forgot to reattach! 

As clipper said the relevant point is check your gear,  manufacturers can get it wrong and marketing often does. Biggest safety tool is your mental attitude, preparation  and thinking, read accident reports if you think it can’t happen to you. Drills are good, checklists too.

Thank you for starting BP

For a bit of context - my post

I will only clip onto a "jackline" on deck. Also beware of lateral loads

There are a number of incidents where people have come to grief attaching to stays or bollards

See https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/200975/Tether-hook-angle-was-crucial-factor-in-death

Regards

Dr Dave

I agree DD that what you do is probably safer given the equipment on the market but:

From the safety regulations

"Through-bolted or welded anchorage points
or other suitable and strong anchorages for
safety harnesses must be provided adjacent
to stations such as the helm, sheet winches
and masts"

If the shiny new tether you just bought at great expense ins't safe to use as recommended by the regulations it is not "fit for purpose" and shouldn't be on the market.

9 hours ago, Clipper said:

The ‘inadequate clips’ are fine if used as intended. I believe if most tether clips get caught and side load they will be much weaker.

i had 2 strobes on voom that floated on their side, replaced after Tim C bought it up.

I had an old liferaft i inflated. Torch batteries were flat, possibly spares flat too. Flares were 2 years out of date, liferaft only 1 yr out of service.

My PLB with a 7 year life stopped working after 5, replaced by manufacturer. Test them people (check the time, just after the hour maybe?)

And here is one of my own making. I unscrewed the canister in my inflatabl.e lifejacket for flying. 12 months later opened up to service and canister fell on floor. I forgot to reattach! 

That Spinlock clip in the picture has failed with only a 200 kg side load, that's a frighteningly small amount of force to have them fail at. I would not be willing to assume that even a taught jack-line could prevent a clip from ever being subjected accidental side loading in all circumstances. 

Even cheep $13.00  aluminum carabiners handle three times that side load (see attached Side Loaded Carabiner). Why can't the folks making tethers worth many times this amount make something that can withstand significantly more than a 200 kg side load?

2020-07-18_20-15-56.png

Side Loaded Carabiner.png