Thailand Drag Boats

ah!  Thats sooo good!  The casually doing 75 to 80mph in a mahogany canoe with a diesel outboard strapped to it !

I travelled in Thailand in 1989 coming back from the UK. In those days Ko Samui was a sleepy little island very few people went to.  We caught a longtail out across the bay from the mainland to the island.  Great fun.  In those days they were powered by Nissan 4 or 6 cylinder SD diesels.  I don't think we had any safety gear apart from jandals...

1 minute ago, aardvarkash10 said:

ah!  Thats sooo good!  The casually doing 75 to 80mph in a mahogany canoe with a diesel outboard strapped to it !

I travelled in Thailand in 1989 coming back from the UK. In those days Ko Samui was a sleepy little island very few people went to.  We caught a longtail out across the bay from the mainland to the island.  Great fun.  In those days they were powered by Nissan 4 or 6 cylinder SD diesels.  I don't think we had any safety gear apart from jandals...

Was just thinking exactly the same thing, absolute gold!  500hp with a direct hookup to a propellor, what more could you want! 

I drove one years ago when I was there, the owner wasn't that keen on handing over the reins but I told him I'd driven boats before and he let me have a go.  I was surprised how hard it was, they're a bloody handful with all that torque and I found I had to really concentrate on what I was doing.  And it certainly wasn't 500hp behind me.

11 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

We were in Koh Samui in September 89.  Asked my lady to marry me there.

12 hours ago, Dtwo said:

What could possibly go wrong! 

Probably get a few more k's with cleaner fuel/injectors.

And - I hope he wasn't constantly checking behind him for people overtaking....

Running over-fuelled ,  I’m guessing he’s monitoring the colour of the smoke for early warning signs of impending turbo or piston meltdown .

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, SanFran said:

We were in Koh Samui in September 89.  Asked my lady to marry me there.

I spent a week there in the late 70s it was a back packer spot with beach hut accommodation. I spent as much money as I could but at the end of a week it was still less than $20. 

• Like 1