Justifiable homicide?

Guess the obvious thing to have done was catch his/her attention and explain the rules.Just incase he/she didnt know.

Currently any person in NZ can buy size vessel without any knowledge of seamanship or knowledge of rules.

I chimed in because I’ve got history with these sorts of dickheads.

Many years ago it was a hot summers day about mid January, Saturday if I remember, and I wanted to go to the marina and replace the spreader covers on the yacht we had at the time, kids wanted to go to the beach.

So we compromise and sailed from PH to Waiheke, found a nice little bay, we were the only ones in the bay, kids had a swim and the admiral hoisted me up the rig, I was replacing the upper spreader ones when this jetskier launches off the beach and decides we need a demo on his skills, using us as one of his rounding marks.

The Admiral called him over nicely and tried to politely explain the situation and the 5kt rule. His response was that he had a very expensive holiday home in the bay so it was his bay and he could do whatever he wanted.

So the said admiral started taking photos of him and said she was going to inform the harbour master, it must have been a while ago as it was before registration numbers where required, (I still carry the heat seeking missiles just in case however)

But I’m trying to let it go, really I am !!!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Jon said:

I chimed in because I’ve got history with these sorts of dickheads.

Many years ago it was a hot summers day about mid January, Saturday if I remember, and I wanted to go to the marina and replace the spreader covers on the yacht we had at the time, kids wanted to go to the beach.

So we compromise and sailed from PH to Waiheke, found a nice little bay, we were the only ones in the bay, kids had a swim and the admiral hoisted me up the rig, I was replacing the upper spreader ones when this jetskier launches off the beach and decides we need a demo on his skills, using us as one of his rounding marks.

The Admiral called him over nicely and tried to politely explain the situation and the 5kt rule. His response was that he had a very expensive holiday home in the bay so it was his bay and he could do whatever he wanted.

So the said admiral started taking photos of him and said she was going to inform the harbour master, it must have been a while ago as it was before registration numbers where required, (I still carry the heat seeking missiles just in case however)

But I’m trying to let it go, really I am !!!

I have been sharpening my pitch fork reading this thread :-)

Hey bigal. Nice piece of writing. Do you have a blog? I want to see what happened next. You've reminded me of the time my young bro hauled me up to the spreaders, got an override on the winch and couldn't get me down. LOL. No jetskier in sight luckily.

Many years back a jetski went thru the side of a moored Towson 32 at Little bucks, made a very large hole, as I recall the rider was not badly injured. The actual owner then scarpered with jet ski in tow before the feds arrived.

If you think we have problems in Florida they take them on the freeway !

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/09/19/heres-a-florida-man-driving-a-street-legal-jet-ski-on-the-highway