Round New Zealand Two Handed

Jon

still like to do this race on Oracle. just have to see how every thing sorts out time wise....

i see pelagian the stewart 34 is in.... with 7 entries now..

Windarra will probably be doing it just need to get a few more ducks in a row before we stump up the entry fee.

There are about 7 or 8 more like yourself Willow that are yet to enter

We are dropping the hp requirement for Cat 2 regs but you will still need a diesel inboard.

More info to follow.

Having spoken to a number of the last RNI finishers, and hearing their take on the "conditions encountered" in that race, I do hope there is better preparedness by crews and screening by race officials or there is real potential for a disaster in a RNZ race.

And to be clear before I am flamed, the concencus amoungst the experienced guys who I have spoken to was that while it was lumpy and pretty tiring, it was nothing unexpected and could have been a lot worse. The withdrawl stats on the Wellington leg suggests a systemic problem to me.

If crews go down south with a similar "its just a coastal race" attitude that prevailed in the RNI, someone will come unstuck.

Having spoken to a number of the last RNI finishers, and hearing their take on the "conditions encountered" in that race, I do hope there is better preparedness by crews and screening by race officials or there is real potential for a disaster in a RNZ race.

And to be clear before I am flamed, the concencus amoungst the experienced guys who I have spoken to was that while it was lumpy and pretty tiring, it was nothing unexpected and could have been a lot worse. The withdrawl stats on the Wellington leg suggests a systemic problem to me.

If crews go down south with a similar "its just a coastal race" attitude that prevailed in the RNI, someone will come unstuck.

Hi Johnny

No one is going to flame you but if you have ideas then best you come forward with what you know and what you think as I don't recognise you by your handle.

Everyone thats looking at this event to my knowledge isn't expecting a coastal sprint.

Systemic problem ? I don't think so.We have to remember it's a event in which amateur's compete. Why do they do it ? Well certainly not for financial gain ! I'd expect something along the lines of "abit of a challenge or adventure" and "to have some fun". The next question is did the withdrawals happen because crews/boats couldn't handle the conditions or were the crews no longer achieving their objectives ? (ie enjoying themselves). Sometimes it isn't a case of can a boat/crew complete the leg but a case of do they want to ?

My thoughts prior to the race (RNI) is that you would need to prepare yourself to deal with 50-60 knots at some point of the race. I wouldn't have "expected" a leg of 30+ knots and ugly sea for 500miles but thats what the fleet got. True thats less than what the boats and crews may have been capable of... but with the prospect of 4-5 days of the same some decided withdrawing was the more attactive option.

I don't think boats retiring undamaged with crews unhurt is a cause for concern they all had their own very good reasons for pullling out made made very conservative seaman like descisions that were the best for the saftey of themselves and their vessels.

As for the conditions being pretty mild I would suggest the experienced guys you spoke to were probaly on faster boats that missed the worst of it.

The west coast wasn't to bad, although the waves were pretty steep on the nose 25 - 40 but just made for a tired crew after a while, for us there was the option to heave to for a rest but New Plymouth harbour was only a couple of hours away, so we turned and ran had a sleep and got back into it half a day later.

By the time we got to wellington heads we were tacking into 50 knot headwinds and by the time we got to the marina it was blowing 70 knots in cook straight, so mild? not really, but not anything we were not prepared for and we throughly enjoyed it.

troll

troll

Disagree. Valid points made, and a couple of other very experienced sailors I've spoken to today have said the same.

Sorry MS but that is BS,

there was a rather large list of requirements to enter the RNI, all of the crews that I meet spent one hell of a long time getting ready for the race.

What JL wrote was just a rather blanket statement that some unamed person he spoke to had the opinion that the crews did not take it seriously, were not prepared, pretty soon it's going to be a big disaster.

If you are going to make accussations like that you need to back it up.

I'm with Willow. We put a hell of a lot of work in to prepare for the race and so did all of the other boats. I think we had about 120 jobs on the to do list for preparation. Maybe 30 of those were cat 2 requirements and the rest of them were things that we wanted to do to make sure we were ready. I don't know anyone that was treating it like a coastal race.

No boats sank and no lives were lost. A very successful event.

I guess it is a question of how you measure success, Changed?

I note the stats which tell the story.

Div Starters Finishers %

1---------3-----------------2------------66.6

2---------6-----------------4------------66.6

3--------16-----------------8------------50

4--------11-----------------4------------36.4

All--------36----------------18-----------50%

If that is success, all I can say is thank goodness it wasnt any more succesful!!!!!!!!

The point I was trying to make, and which is patently clear to most, is that there were boats and crews which were underprepaired for an undertaking of this magnitude. (and Fineline and Willow, WADR completing a RNI is more than writing lists).

And RNZ is x2!!!

your stats back up what I was saying about the faster boats having an easier time of it.

Most of our division was in New Plymouth when we got there particularly the slower boats some continued, some decided to head back to Auckland in view of the forecast, alot of the division above us sheltered near nelson for a time.

In fact one of the Barcelona world race boats also sheltered near Nelson as he didn't wish to risk his boat in Cook Straight at the time, I guess he was just to inexperienced to continue.

Alot of boats got to wellington and decided not to restart due factors other than the weather as the first christchurch earthquake had just happened.

It'll be a sad day when some sideline commentator decides weather a skipper should of pulled out of not.

As for "completing a RNI is more than writing lists" you say that like it is a revalation did you complete the race? I did.

Without wanting to bag anyone IN THE SLIGHTEST and also being one of the first to go home when it's not fun I sorta kinda wonder about starters being so quick to pull the pin in a race such as this. It just seems a hell of a woftam if you're going to bail but I guess if you're keeping your powder dry I understand but ..... just gently..... why bother in the first place? I was asked by quite a few if I was doing RNI in my boat but I wouldn't even contemplate thinking about wondering if I should ponder doing it. Hell NO

For those that have travelled the stretch around the South Island, could you give us a quick run down on where you could bolt to if you get caught out?

To give anyone my background to give me the right to ask questions some of my yachting includes 3 Hobarts and the 1980 Hobart/Auckland in the cyclone that sank Smackwater Jack. I have been out there

Archived