This Weekend's Achievements

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not this weekend but over the last month i have been doing something new. I had a delivery planned Tahiti to Auckland but it failed to materialize. Angela had gone to visit her mum in Florida so

Got 10 boats towed back into the environment before 10:30 this morning, waited until tide came in, floated off the cradle and went to the mooring only to find it had become an ecosystem all of its own

School holiday cruise me and my boy

Posted Images

I had my first ever go at spray painting using a real spray gun, not a aerosol can.

Some nerves going in expecting to come out with a combination of a large puddle under the boat, more runs than a New York Marathon, another week of sanding a cock up off and other assorted disasters. But I have to say I'm pretty bloody good and a lot better than I was expecting, a lot. A couple of runs around the prod and on the transom where I when a bit hard loading paint on but apart from those to easy fixes it looks just like a brought one.

Before and after lunch
001.jpg

002.jpg

The topsides got a coat as they were sanded back with 40 grit but that could show thru the wallpaper so it got a coat I'll 240 grit off. The decks had a guide coat but since then some mods and a little 'look pretty' action so they got one to tidy all that up.

The paint is the Cotech Epoxy 2 pot water borne. Use as to use, no fume or nasty issues to worry about, water wash up easy peasy. I didn't end up looking like a Geisha, there was minimal over spray, don't know why, maybe the paint maybe how I had the gun. I did practice using the gun and sussed what the knobs did by spraying the mancaves bare plywood exterior with water.  But I was a little sticky, the paint does resemble thin glue in the sticky stakes, washed off easy peasy.

So boat looks good and I'm not a total cock up with a spray gun, tis been a good day.

Light sand tomorrow then the decks will get 2 coats of Cotech 2 pot Urethane Low Sheen to finish them off.

Probably too busy holding on to stop falling on its head.

Na, he must be in the Northern Hemisphere :)

Sprayed another on the family cruiser today, last one tomorrow fingers crossed. I have noticed the water borne can take up to 24hrs or so longer to get to the point you can do sh*t to it compared to solvent based versions. NZ's humidity probably doesn't help. I was hoping to be done by yesterday but with the cooler temps we still have that's retarded the curing meaning the sanding filling sanding touch up ready to finish coat phase took all week.

But she does look pretty damn good so I'm quite chuffed with my new found skill. Quite frankly she's so OK I've decided I am a spraying legend and could be upgraded to 'Spraygun God' status tomorrow.

While I'm here, anyone know where to buy real big lunch boxes? ;)

Got 10 boats towed back into the environment before 10:30 this morning, waited until tide came in, floated off the cradle and went to the mooring only to find it had become an ecosystem all of its own in the last 5 months - there was so much weed growing on it I couldn't pull it up. After an hour of cutting/slashing I made it through to the bridle. 

Here we all are sitting on cradles waiting for the tide to come in....

IMG_0266.jpg