timberwolf

I don't know enough about multi's to express whether you should flip in a rum race or not, but, timber wolf went past us, quickly, on Fast Company while we were doing 16+ knots with the smallest jib we could find. Then flipped.

Sorry we couldn't stop to help guys, but we counted all the crew up on the deck and were struggling to hold the mast above the boat. Saw the resurrection, glad to see it looks like nothing too major

Good to hear no damage to people or boat.

Tim, some more details please, this flipping thing may be a whole lot more fun than it looks but I'd like avoid it if I can... for as long as possible. The current technique of not going out in non-glamour weather works well but isn't so satisfying.

Point of sail?

Forwards or sideways flip?

Lessons learnt etc

[attachment=2]TWF45.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]TWF46.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]TWF47.jpg[/attachment]

must have been a relief to get it back up

with the rig still on

with the sail still looking good

and no imploding floats!

well done all round

Good to hear no damage to people or boat.

Tim, some more details please, this flipping thing may be a whole lot more fun than it looks but I'd like avoid it if I can... for as long as possible. The current technique of not going out in non-glamour weather works well but isn't so satisfying.

Point of sail?

Forwards or sideways flip?

Lessons learnt etc

Step One:

You can't have fun sailing your boat or tipping it over for that matter if it is tied up to the dock.

Step two:

If conditions are too strong for you or your boat see step one!

To me this wasn't a day I had thought we would be at any capsize risk. It was around 20-25 knots most of the time before the start. We had a Reef in the main and small jib which I thought was very conservative. The forecast was for the wind to drop in the afternoon and evening.

Sometime after the start we were doing the usual Downwind Rum Race Wallow where we really needed an extra up to make it fun and we were contemplating cracking our first beer we got a couple of little wake up gusts where we squirted up in speed to Mid 20's but at 140 degrees true we were broad reaching with no real dramas.

As we got closer to Mechanics Bay and after the Container terminal the Breeze freshened and came forward such that we were more like 120 degrees true and right on the death angle. To depower I could just feather the front of the main and jib and this was very safe and no bother at all.

However we were sailing higher than our actual course to Orakei and in the puffs were pointing more at the Rescue Centre end of the breakwater.

As the Gusts were usually short and sharp I just thought we'd wait a little then bear off to the mark.

At the time we sailed for probably 5 minutes going in the wrong direction.

My options were to Reef the main, or Drop the Jib and I was considering Pulling out as I wasn't sure sailing in these conditions across to the Rangi shore was such a good idea.

The Wind appeared to ease and I thought iot would be safe to bear away to below our course to Orakei as we'd be below the Death angle and could just bear away to depower.

Anyway we never made it the second I tried to bear away we tipped over.

The Lee ama went in to the beam and the boat corkscrewed round as in a broach so we ended up capsizing pretty much on the diagonal.

In hindsight I'm convinced we had too much mainsheet on and needed more twist in the head of the main.

Our capsize plan worked very well.

I tied in the Rudders

Then opened the aft ama Inspection hatches to flood the aft ama section behind the beam.

We attached a bridle to the Heavy Padeyes I had put on the deck in front of the main beam.

Ken and I had our weight right at the back sitting on the ama as they towed us backwards, going across the wind.

The back started to sink, and 90 seconds later we were upright.

Full credit to the Police guys they did an awesome job righting Us.

No damage as it all happened so fast and very little gear had a time to float away.

So were you running any foil Tim?

Yep foil fully down but at time of capsize we may have been going too slow to develop much lift and/or it let go

Another cock up was that we didn't have the rig canted as its usually too hard to get downwind when it is canted, but at this time if we'd been fully canted it probably wouldn't have happened