#1 Duty Free

Duty Free

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationAKL

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

Entries now open so get your entries in .

#2 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

New phrf numbers are interesting, no special designation for shorthanded now as far as I can see... is this correct?

#3 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

Yes, now splits into short (inshore) and longer (passage) racing only.

Some of all you ever wanted to know at :

http://www.yachtingn...ps-ratings/phrf

#4 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

I see new courses. They look great, nice to keep mixing it up, thanks SSANZ.

#5 Boatworks

Boatworks

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationGlendowie, Akl, NZL

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

Entered.  Courses look great.  Tides for race 1, not so good - will be an early start and maybe a very late finish at HMB Marina for us.  Need shorter keel!

Dear SSANZ.  Would it be possible to put all the sailor names and the PHRF for each boat on the entry page, so we know who we are out racing with.  Thanks

Looking forward to another great series.

http://www.facebook.com/elliott5.9
http://www.e59.org.nz

"approach the jetty only as fast as you want to hit it" - a piece of wisdom from my dad

#6 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Navigation questions. Help please!

1. Shearer Rock Buoy. Which is it, the yellow round buoy, or the Eastern Cardinal Mark (black yellow black)?

2. The Noises. Do we just round the two big islands to the north west (Motuhoropapa and Otata), or does this include the David Rocks, and Maria Island?

3. Browns Island Navy Buoy. Is it back in position now? It was gone this time last year.

#7 RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

Just a heads-up... Sailonline is back again as the virtual partner for SSANZ for this year's trio of races and... we'll be racing our Y88 Polar in the hopes of competing against entrants from the Y88 Association!

Young88POLAR.png

The virtual course for the NZ Spars and Rigging 60 will be open for pre-race practice from 2110utc tomorrow, Tuesday, 7 July and you'll see the Race Description on the Homepage from 2110utc today.

Do tell all your chums who can't race in reality... the competition on Sailonline is getting tougher as folks are getting more skilled in the art of wind navigation.

:-)

#8 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

I'm told the safety checkers have been told - 'Pick anything you like from the Safety Regs and ask to be shown it/them'.

"Can I see a keel bolt please?" :D

No it's highly unlikely any boat will hear that.I'd expect.

I'd say the most likely items to be asked to be shown will be life jackets, harness's, jacklines and similar gear.

Don't forget last year there were some shockingly poor Nav lights on some boats. Poor in brightness and shocking in the line up of them i.e. at times we could see both red and green while 15-20 degrees off to one side. Things like that will be why some nice but boating knowledge challenged BIG fizz nasty owner runs you down, you've confused the probably already confused bugger.

#9 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

How will the handicaps for the Smallboat division be handled this year?

Can we expect massive changes between races like last year?

#10 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

Define massive Elly?  My experience is that if it's going up, 0.001 is massive, if it's going down, 0.5 is inconsequential.

Simplified a little, handicap has three parts :

1 part (25%), RaceTrack
1 part (25%), an opinion of the design
1 part (50%), SSANZ race history 2012 onwards.

If you have fewer than 5 races previously in SAS, that 50% SAS part is smaller.

After each race, the handicap is reworked.

If a boats handicap comes out changing by more than 0.01 it may be manually assessed (still may change by more of course).

The problem with a series that's only three races long is that if only small changes happen and any handicaps were not spot on to start with, the series is all over after race two and you may as well have not bothered making any changes. 

No right answer, there are good reasons to run a series where you make no changes at all and there are good reasons why you should change.  It can be though that if you make change but do it in a way that makes them inconsequential, you end up with the worst of both worlds not the best.

Any opinions offered after race 1, well after the race 1 handicaps are known, are treated with the smallest degree of cynicism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users