Photo

What to look for in an inflatable dinghy as a yacht tender?

inflatable dinghy tender

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

Anyone using plywood dinghies?

I've got a hypalon deflatable that is nearing the end of its life, so am interested in this thread / options to upgrade.

Its very easy to build a dinghy to almost any size or shape in stitch and glue, plywood. Substantially cheaper than buying an inflatable, I estimate about 100 hrs labour, depending on how fussy you are with the finish / painting. I recently built a 4 ft pram for my kids. Very light. surprisingly stable in a small chop. 

The nesting options give much more flexibility for stowing on the foredeck of a 9.5 m.

I'm mainly interested in peoples thoughts of that option, as we've always had a deflatable, and everyone only ever seems to consider delfatable options around soft floor / rib etc etc. But I don't hear any opinions on hard / plywood dinghies.

I have considered it myself and may still build something down the track but it's a timing issue. I'd been thinking of adding a continuous closed cell foam fender around the outside for added stability and soft impact against boat hulls.

#22 Farrari

Farrari

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationHMB

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

We have a Farr1020 (33ft) and when it came time to replace our dinghy we decided the priorities were

• Low weight (our inflatable keel dinghy was 42kg without motor and was too heavy for the Wife and I to load/carry on shore)
  • Rigid hull (our previous one was an inflatable keel and it made us nervous when going over rocks/sharp objects etc.)
  • Size - i.e. would it fit on the under the boom and on the back transom.
  • Cost
  • ideally new with warranty etc.

We looked at a number but ended up settling on a 2.4m Seafarer with the German Tiger Fabric (an alternate/replacement for Hypalon).  They can be found at http://www.nkconsult...k-services.html

What we liked about them was

• Neil(the owner) was ex. Southern Pacific so had a good reputation.
  • The weight was only 25kg.  Other fibreglass hulls I looked at were 38+ kgs.
  • All the seams were welded,  not glued (most of the other imports were glued including the Zodiac)
  • The hulls were power coated after the holes were drilled in them
  • The German fabric was a bonus and meant we ought to expect 10+ years life without handles falling off etc
  • He would customise as required (He designed and built the 2.4m version for us.  It's now listed as a standard part)
  • The price was competitive

We have had it for nearly 2 years now and I am very happy with it.  In hindsight the only change I would have made would be requesting proper rowlocks and oars.  The dinghy rows well but the fitting let it down a bit.  It tows off a bridle (an extra I asked for).

#23 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

I have looked at the Seafarer site as I've heard good things about them but the information about the different models is a little sparse. No capacities and no pricing plus there are a couple of different designations but no details about what they mean.

#24 Farrari

Farrari

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationHMB

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

I have looked at the Seafarer site as I've heard good things about them but the information about the different models is a little sparse. No capacities and no pricing plus there are a couple of different designations but no details about what they mean.

Give Neil a call and he can provide all the details.  He is an easy person to deal with and price is somewhat negotiable.  He is certainly very flexible when it comes to options.

Where are you located?  PM me if you want to have a look.

#25 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Tempting but I'd probably need to deflate it to stow on the foredeck which would be for longer passages and rough weather like yourself. How wide is it and how far do the pontoons extend past the transom?

About 1.6m wide I think, transoms probably extend around 400mm at a guess.

#26 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the offer Farrari. Currently, I'm sitting in Melbourne but will be back in the next few weeks so trying to sort things out online where possible and getting the family to run around for me where necessary.

#27 southernman

southernman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Locationnelson

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Due to a change in plans I also have some inflatables for sale.  See my auctions here:  

http://www.trademe.c...x?id=1300346060

and

http://www.trademe.c...x?id=1306370146

I got given a dingy by my old man which he built for me so I'm forced to use it so to speak!  I also have another 3.0m full inflatable for sale if anyone is interested which is really good quality also.  

021884827 if you want any of these - discounted for crew.org of course. 

#28 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

My favourite dingy (I have a few) is a tad under 2mts long, can hold 4 adults easily, can do 5kts with a 2hp outboard, rows like a dream, can be towed at 14kts but much faster and it does become a kite, is one hand to lift in weight and as yet is unbeaten in any race. It never comes aboard, we have no where to put it.

My racing compliant ding is 2.7mts, lives downstairs.  When cruising it usually lives in the above ding.

#29 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

My favourite dingy (I have a few) is a tad under 2mts long, can hold 4 adults easily, can do 5kts with a 2hp outboard, rows like a dream, can be towed at 14kts but much faster and it does become a kite, is one hand to lift in weight and as yet is unbeaten in any race. It never comes aboard, we have no where to put it.

My racing compliant ding is 2.7mts, lives downstairs.  When cruising it usually lives in the above ding.

But you forgot to say what type your magic dinghy is...

#30 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

Opps,

It's Pine Cone 1. Apparently the prototype for some glass ones built out Pine Harbour way, maybe for a sailing school (??). It's made of genuine 100% artificial PVC, a material they call plywood.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inflatable, dinghy, tender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users