Mapfre stopped

The tracker is showing mapfre stopped, looks like they've pulled in to an island by cape horn.

Their wedbsite is saying something about making repairs, but it's in Spanish.

According to Sail World they decided to suspend racing 6 miles west of Cape Horn to do better repairs where the mast track came unglued from the mast 5 days ago. There's a high coming so they bank on not losing too much ground to the others apparently

Again off topic but i would be interested in any comments on the three head sail configuration the boats are using

They can do that because the big fella is sheeted to outboard pole which opens up the slot.

So Mapfre are running out of food now. They provisioned for 19 days, but don't expect to be in until day 20.

Apparently they hit the snacks hard in the Southern Ocean, so have or will run out of them, but have enough freeze -dried.

Interesting race though, they are just behind TTOP, but TTOP can't go more than 1 reef and the fractional gear, which considering they are trying to transition a blocking high, could be a bit challenging.

Anyway, there is a good chance Mapfre and get past TTOP and not be last boat to finish this leg (assuming they don't starve, or break something else)

So Brunel leads Dongfeng by 4 nm after 7,511 nm of racing - that fits my definition of close.

220 nm to go, currently Dongfeng is 3 kts VMG faster than Brunel

Very stressful for Brunel.

Anyone know the geography of Itaji and where the finish line is? i.e. up a harbour with wind shadows etc?

TTOP now down to 3 knots with Mapre catching doing 10.

Under the rules they can't skimp on safety gear, but are allowed to skimp on food. Should food quantities be stipulated in the rules to prevent skippers starving their crew?

Most racing rules say you must finish the race with all crew on board, so if Scallywag could have retrieved Fisher, would they be allowed to continue racing and get a place?

The likelihood of a breakdown on a Volvo boat is so high, I would have thought they'd have to carry a mandatory amount of spare food, i.e. five days extra freeze dried on top of what they calculate  is required for the leg. With one design, it is so hard to get an advantage I'd expect teams to try anything.