#11 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

oh yes they do look very cool, and you can get a fin if that's your preference. if i were in the market for a 200k 10m boat i'd definitely have a suss.

i think most people have given up on the lifting board idea as it doesn't really open up that much territory around here. all those bays you're dreaming of still have launches in!

#12 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

Jesus, picky lot aren't you.

Hell yeah!  :)

It's pretty much a lotto pipe dream for me to think about a boat like a pogo/rm etc so while dreaming is the best time to be picky.

I don't see the point in a twin/bilge keel when the option of a lift keel is there, how often would you actually chose to dry out?  

Those twin keels look like they still draw quite a bit as well, over 4' which is more than the lift keel.  

I personally love the idea of a lift keel, the biggest downside is it's another moving part in fairly key area of the boat if something goes wrong.

#13 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:08 AM

I think on the wind one keel raises up , down wind they fly sharp angles so the windward keel is down I think

#14 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

I have a twin keeler, except they are inline, on the wind both down, or varying amounts of either (trimming, so to speak), eased sheets main down aft up, broad reach,  all up, running down wind aft board down,  tracks like a surfboard. Hard on the wind 45 degrees + - is as good as you'll get. keel base 700mm wide, 1m draft, sits upright on hard sand without legs.

#15 Elly

Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:35 PM

Racing rules state that keels must be locked down at all times.

So no speed gains with lifting keels if you want to race.

#16 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

Those RM yachts are just the sort of thing that NZ can do as well as France, and keep economical. Unfortunately no yards left interested, but they do fly and can be family cruised so the perfect gulf / coastal boat. And no pox or soft glass....

#17 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:59 PM

saw this on the RM site, re performance difference between single and twin keel:

What are the differences in performance between a single and a twin keel RM ?

VPP (polars) indicate differences of the order of 0.1 to 0.4 knots depending on the speeds and the wind in favour of a single In "speed tests" that we made with the two versions of the same boat, the single keel seemed slightly faster, but the difference was marginal.

In terms of behaviour, it is extremely difficult to feel a difference, even for skippers and experienced professionals who have often been "impressed" by the twin keel RM.

#18 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Those RM yachts are just the sort of thing that NZ can do as well as France, and keep economical. Unfortunately no yards left interested, but they do fly and can be family cruised so the perfect gulf / coastal boat. And no pox or soft glass....

Shame really that the home build faded from view.

I have seen some really great and some really tragic and truly awful diy projects over my time.

The RM lends itself or a version of to being a great kit boat.

No reason why a local design could not be mustered using the concept.

You just need access to energy, space and the loot to be able to pursue project of this nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users