Photo

Insurance for long haul short handed races.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:02 PM

We dropped contents insurance years ago. Same reasoning as wheels.
Next thing on the list is sell the cars.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#12 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

We dropped contents insurance years ago. Same reasoning as wheels.
Next thing on the list is sell the cars.

Just check with your insurer that if your contents (electrical appliances) causes the fire, is your house covered. I know if your renting and your gear causes damage then you can be liable for the damage.
Worth checking anyway.
The best sailors do it two handed

#13 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

Certainly good thinking. Though not applicable to us as since then we have sold the house as well.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#14 S.M.U.

S.M.U.

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

I'm with Tower, which I have no problem with BUT they only insure within 50miles of coast. So after reading this forum got in contact with Baileys Senior Risk Advisor, stating shorthanded racing, carbon rig 4 years old, 1982 Ross 930 and RNI entry. Got the following reply  ...

"Unfortunately due to the age of the boat, type of vessel and proposed racing cover it's not one we would be able to arrange cover for. Sorry we can't be of assistance."

So for me it looks like offshore insurance with either Pantaenius or Northern Reef would prefer a local crowd, tried talking to Club Marine but they said no to the carbon mast.

And no I'm not dodgy, two claims on household insurance over 30 years insured.

Have just put in application to Nautical, see how that goes.

#15 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,571 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

You guys talking to Nautical should say you got their details from Crew.org. I've been trying to get them to place an Ad....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#16 Kick Ass

Kick Ass

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

Spoke to Nautical today and were very helpful!

Have a 200nm from shore limit and offer race cover, $1000 excess standard and $1500 racing which is fair with respectable premium that blows most other insurers out the water.

Just working through the policy wording and waiting for a few more quotes to come through.

#17 Kick Ass

Kick Ass

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

I'm with Tower, which I have no problem with BUT they only insure within 50miles of coast. So after reading this forum got in contact with Baileys Senior Risk Advisor, stating shorthanded racing, carbon rig 4 years old, 1982 Ross 930 and RNI entry. Got the following reply ...

"Unfortunately due to the age of the boat, type of vessel and proposed racing cover it's not one we would be able to arrange cover for. Sorry we can't be of assistance."

So for me it looks like offshore insurance with either Pantaenius or Northern Reef would prefer a local crowd, tried talking to Club Marine but they said no to the carbon mast.

And no I'm not dodgy, two claims on household insurance over 30 years insured.

Have just put in application to Nautical, see how that goes.

That is the same response I was getting and was a bit dis heartening hearing our boat is to old to insure :-/.

We went with Baileys initially as they were one of the only companies offering a blue water extension when we did the delivery from Sydney.

#18 splat

splat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

Anyone with AON?

#19 Kick Ass

Kick Ass

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

Anyone with AON?

Can only insure through a broker.

None of the brokers so far have offered aon

#20 splat

splat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:10 PM

Oh Okay... We have 200NM limit Racing cover  - $500 standard excess $1000.00 racing risk excess underwritten by Lloyds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users