35 replies to this topic

#11 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:35 AM

You can’t go past the perennial Tilley.Attached File  923B711E-1AF3-45A7-B9D3-301033D2BB91.jpeg   244.65KB   0 downloads

#12 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,995 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:11 AM

Actually, you can, IMO. I've had a tilly,not a patch on a shelta hat.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#13 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

Longsleeve loose white cotton or linen shirts with large cuffs n collar.
Medium brimmed straw hat I got from H&M in Prague for €5. it’s got a loose weave top that means it stays on even when it’s gusting 30. there’s never a pressure differential, apparently. A dab of zinc based sunblock on m lips n nose and smeared on the bits that went shaded all the time.

I hate wearing sunblock. Feels ick.

Next summer a pair of white loose long leg pants might also be employed. Dressed thus one looks a right royal tosser but it bloody works!

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#14 44forty

44forty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

Longsleeve loose white cotton or linen shirts with large cuffs n collar.
Medium brimmed straw hat I got from H&M in Prague for €5. it’s got a loose weave top that means it stays on even when it’s gusting 30. there’s never a pressure differential, apparently. A dab of zinc based sunblock on m lips n nose and smeared on the bits that went shaded all the time.

I hate wearing sunblock. Feels ick.

Next summer a pair of white loose long leg pants might also be employed. Dressed thus one looks a right royal tosser but it bloody works!

Not drawing any parallels here doc but you have reminded me of a boat I spotted in France recently .

It was the first boat with black sails I had spotted out of the 100s of benes , jonnos , elans etc . I grabbed the telescope and glassed it over and noted it was a new J boat of fortyish something feet .

It’s was being sailed solo by a gent in linen shirt and pants and what my son called “slippers” which seem to be popular over there with gents in moneyed circles . I sh*t you not it could’ve been Jonny Depp for all I know , filming some after shave ad cutting a dash through all the 4 knot caravans .

#15 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,412 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:01 PM

Not drawing any parallels here doc but you have reminded me of a boat I spotted in France recently .

It was the first boat with black sails I had spotted out of the 100s of benes , jonnos , elans etc . I grabbed the telescope and glassed it over and noted it was a new J boat of fortyish something feet .

It’s was being sailed solo by a gent in linen shirt and pants and what my son called “slippers” which seem to be popular over there with gents in moneyed circles . I sh*t you not it could’ve been Jonny Depp for all I know , filming some after shave ad cutting a dash through all the 4 knot caravans .

Similar to this?

https://youtu.be/6iPcBCuB-F4

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#16 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,995 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:42 PM

Now thats just greedy! And he forgot his hat...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#17 44forty

44forty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

Similar to this?

https://youtu.be/6iPcBCuB-F4

Yeah that’s the bugger ! He must have a few boats

#18 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:30 PM

I ended up ordering one of the face sheilds that the fisho's seem to wear a lot. I googled it and now get targeted with advertising from safishing.com in everything. Hopefully it will stop since I brought one :-)

Might have to get me one of those hats too IT.

#19 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

Actually, you can, IMO. I've had a tilly,not a patch on a shelta hat.

What model Shelta did you get?

#20 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

What model Shelta did you get?

I was going to ask that question as well. I'm seriously looking at one.

I'm considering either the Seahawke or Raptor V2.

I'm basically after a classic sailing cap but that also covers the temples, ears and neck, but will stay on in moderate sailing conditions. Learning towards the Raptor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Winter