ETNZ AC72 Sailing

Check out this video from EMTNZ and the nose dive right at the end of the video and in the words of grant dalton....... "we stuffed it".

this doesnt happen to me often with not being able to embed the whole video to the forums so heres the link. Hopefully mummyship can sort it out for me :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Accepted it's still very early days and either Artemis or Oracle have lots of time and opportunity to make everyone else look silly but at this stage, you'd kind of have to be happy with the strategic decision you made if you were Luna Rossa.

It's a crime these boats won't get courses that will do their design justice.

I used to think that their chase boat looked a bit over-powered with 4x300hp on tap but after watching yesterday's footage and hearing the engines revving hard to keep up with the AC72 it now seems about right for the job!

5636-9046.jpg

Hell yea. That chase boat is probably only just fast enough for this beast :thumbup:

From what G Dalts said in that last video, I think the next boat will have more volume in the bow.

Just think how much OR is going to dig it in. It has 1/2 the free board of ETNZ...

I still cannot believe how they can make a 72 ft boat look and sail like a beach cat. faaarrrkkknnn amazing!!!!

I still find it slightly scary and can't yet envisage how these (apparently) straight line drag racers will be nimble enough to engage in a match race.... :shock:

Why would they need to?

You only need to be nimble if you choose to engage in traditional match racing jousting. You do not HAVE to do so. Did you watch Orcale vs. Alinghi in Spain?

The prize is for crossing the line first. There are no style points for successful 'traditional match racing' engagements. So, if you have built a fast boat, avoid the engagement, and sail your fast boat fast.

The America's Cup is, and always has been, a design contest. It is only a unique sub-portion of the history of the cup where the speed of the boats happened to be similar enough that match racing tactics and manouevres became relevant. In 1995 for example, when the black boat won the cup for NZ for the first time, Team NZ's speed advantage was so significant that they did not need to engage.

You only engage in jousting if you have failed to win the design race decisively. If you win the design race decisively you have no need to match race.

Mmmmm, spose so. But one of the things I enjoyed most about cup racing was the pre-start manouevering, dial-ups etc - often more exciting than the race itself.

If the new designs mean the starts will now become two boats coming from distant opposite sides at wharp speed with no pre-start duelling that is one aspect of the spectacle that will be lost, IMHO.

Don't disagree AC.

However, seeing Oracle's DoG Tri in Valencia FLYING upwind in 8 knots true flying two hulls... good grief, I have never felt my skin tingle like it did when I saw that. Simply redfined what I thought was possible re. sailing to windward.

If I have to give up pre-start engagements to see stuff like that... such is the price of STUNNING progress I say.

Unlike the last match between Oracle and Alinghi which was sailed on deed of gift courses, the next match will be sailed in confined waters in SF bay adjacent to the St Francis yacht club.

The width of the course is about 750 meters or as Dalts put it the distance between North Head and Orakei Wharf.

This means that there will be high speed with a maximum period on any board measured in seconds and lots of tacks and gybes.

Plenty of scope for match racing, but not as we know it.

The faster the boats, the higher the cost of low speed manoeuvres.

The higher the cost of low speed manoeuvres, the more incentive there is to minimise the number of manoeuvres.

So, the teams will, as much as they possibly can, given the constricted courses, avoid manoeuvres and maximise straight lining time...

...which minimises the match racing (as we know it) aspect.

So, the teams will, as much as they possibly can, given the constricted courses, avoid manoeuvres and maximise straight lining time...

...which minimises the match racing (as we know it) aspect.

Worst idea of the week but weather permitting it sounds like the AC72 would be better suited to the Coastal then - and do it in 3-4 hrs!

If I have to give up pre-start engagements to see stuff like that... such is the price of STUNNING progress I say.
STUNNING progress, meaning what?

well, compared to V5 leaners plodding aruond at 10 knots, I was stunned by the foiling 72 approaching 40 knots in under 20 knots of breeze. Stunned

STUNNING progress, meaning what?

Ummm.

ACC boats doing 10 - 11 knots upwind at a TWA of 24 degrees(ish) in the late 90's early 2000s in San Diego and Auckland was whoop whoop news. People marvelled that a yacht could have such VMG upwind in 15 - 18 knots of breeze.

Oracle's DoG Tri was doing 25+ knots speed over ground, upwind in 7 - 8 knots true, at a TWA of 12 degrees.

If you were not stunned by that, you were either not paying attention, or didn't understand the significance of what you were seeing.

STUNNING.

Archived