strath

Marine Gas Fitter required at Gulf Harbour

DIY. Or be prepared to remove LPG from the boat, or pay $$$ to have a compliant system installed.

I'm curious, if you removed LPG from the boat, what would you use instead;

Kero

Diesel,

Propane, and just get a jet boil?

Price of a diesel cooker is probably worth more than the boat. Kero I don't know so much about the cost of stoves, always used one camping as a kid. I understand propane is popular on race boats, doesn't sound any safer than an LPG set up, and must be a hassle if you want to go cruising for longer than one cup of tea.

Of course I'm ruling out electric with a genny as just hilariously silly (you need 230 volt to cook with don't you, can't get the current from a 12 v stove?)

Question is in the context of NZ's aging NZ built cruiser racer fleet, not new euro imports (which should have new and compliant systems anyway, right)

I'm curious, if you removed LPG from the boat, what would you use instead;

Kero

Diesel,

Propane, and just get a jet boil?

Price of a diesel cooker is probably worth more than the boat. Kero I don't know so much about the cost of stoves, always used one camping as a kid. I understand propane is popular on race boats, doesn't sound any safer than an LPG set up, and must be a hassle if you want to go cruising for longer than one cup of tea.

Of course I'm ruling out electric with a genny as just hilariously silly (you need 230 volt to cook with don't you, can't get the current from a 12 v stove?)

Question is in the context of NZ's aging NZ built cruiser racer fleet, not new euro imports (which should have new and compliant systems anyway, right)

Quite a few boats now going with electric hobs, especially induction ones. You'll need a genset, or decent inverter with good charging systems though.

New boats are not built to NZ standards, and, unless going into survey, no-one checks.

Quite a few boats now going with electric hobs, especially induction ones. You'll need a genset, or decent inverter with good charging systems though.

New boats are not built to NZ standards, and, unless going into survey, no-one checks.

I thought that the implication was that if something happened that involved insurance and the gas setup didn't comply, you might not have a happy outcome.