Aleana

Stewards of the Gulf

Sad Article. 

I'd support a total no take zone for the entire gulf, for say 5 years, then restricted recreational only, IF it has recovered noticeably. I know that would be very unpopular, but IMO its that now, or that forever in 5 years or so....

Good luck on that , you only have to mention the word Reserve and you will hear the screams of entitled anguish from one end of the gulf to the other.

I don't understand why there aren't 20, 30, 40, or 50 Goat Island type reserves in the Gulf.  They would just take up a small fraction of the Gulf area and would surely make at least a small difference.

I was up at Kawau for the weekend and saw several instances of people fishing, catching only small ones and throwing them back in.  Do those small ones actually survive?

It’s worth being vocal. Popular social change never happens without it.

Consider the water quality/farms position.

A few years ago there was a bit a noise around the issue and then a surge of farm-hate type editorial all over the media. It’s not that long ago and now we have Fonterra itself promoting clean waterways. I’m not saying it’s perfect but it amazed me how quickly it moved from being only the green fringe making a bit of a dance to being mainstream.

The same can happen with the gulf.

Go on. Make a noise. Protest and petitions work if you’re persistent.

Reserves don't work it is a feel for thing.look at leigh.fish are moving out no food.they leave to spawn.Ban trawling swinging.who destroyed the kahawai schools for pet food?? Still going on.trawl net with its diamond mesh fish cannot escape as net tightens it goes like rope.no gaps.any small undersize are squashed and discarded longline only.good chance fish survive due to line not being done to long

+10 on mindless fishing methodology & the wasting of resource.

I don't agree with your statement on reserves. Perhaps, somewhat less  ineffective as they are configured currently.

Firstly, when the fish are there they are protected.

Snapper are demersal sand & reef dwellers their larvae move with the water column so may be lost to surrounds, but some

will settle in the reserve. Any protection is better than none.

Kingfish to a lesser extent, sharks , tuna, pelagics will go there for a food source.

There is a whole bio mass associated with reserves that is nearer natural than the barren ocean adjacent.

Thing is, reserves are currently too small. Benefit would increase mathematically when size is more equatable with ranging habits of fish.

Then there is the awareness thing for public to get onboard.

Just because you dont see a dramatic change by the puny reserves we currently have doesn't mean the principle doesn't work

just poorly implemented. 

From family members who spend countless hours in the quest to know whats going on.

Reserves work less for wide-ranging pelagic species like sharks, tuna etc. To a certain extent kingfish, though the latter will hang around for long periods when the food is there (ie they'd spend a lot of time at the Poor Knights). 

But absolutely, we need some bigger ones to protect wide-ranging ones, and smaller ones that are dotted down the coast to catch the downstream flow of larvae of all the reef animals.

Haven't read the study, was pointed to it by family who did some ground work.
On the todo.

Le Port et al 2017 Temperate MPA provides recruitment subsidies to local fisheries.pdf

Reserves don't work it is a feel for thing.look at leigh.fish are moving out no food.they leave to spawn.Ban trawling swinging.who destroyed the kahawai schools for pet food?? Still going on.trawl net with its diamond mesh fish cannot escape as net tightens it goes like rope.no gaps.any small undersize are squashed and discarded longline only.good chance fish survive due to line not being done to long

Actually it was worse with the Kahawai, they were sold to Australia to use as bait for the cray fishing industry!