Another NorEaster on its way!

Rats

All is well, I"m in 11 foot of water, a 15 kg Rocna anchor,20 Meters of heavy chain and about 40 meters of rode out, Havent moved an inch, All this on a 2 ton cataraman, Good anchor gear = good sleep,

If she lets go, there is a nice mud bank I will run her up on.

Am on the pick in Whangarei harbour opposit Northsands boat yard, had a gust of 115 knots come through at about 7.30 last night. Thank goodnes i invested in heavy anchor gear,

That was probably the one that torn the dodger on mine in the marina :( :( :(

I just read an article in stuff, mentioned a 21m wave recorded by a boy at whangarei?

21m? Really.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1024634 ... rth-Island

That reads better now!

It still says 21m on my reading of it. Surely that's a mistake? Surely if a 21m wave rolled in towards Whangerei there wouldn't be much of the town left by now?

Have been in a swell of 25m, it was forecast and this was deep in the southern ocean, should post up some photos. I don't physically see how there would be enough distance and time for it to happen up here. 12m maybe but anymore is a huge ask for wave shape etc. I know what 12m looks like at the entrance to Wellington also, we used to take the yacht out to play in them

AC the wave buoy is outside the entrance to Whangarei and the waves would have to turn a few corners to get into the harbour and then have to travel a fair distance to get up into Whangarei. Fairly difficult.

I have very little difficulty believing that that wave buoy registered a rogue wave of that height. This low has been generating some pretty ugly weather up north. Not much of which is reported of course.

Just heard that everyone north of Waipapakauri (which is a couple of kms north of Awanui) are still without power and they are hoping to get it back on by Friday. If not, it won't be until Monday. Also heard that allot of boats have been damaged over at one tree point/marsden cove way (unconfirmed). The wind would have been slamming into there so wouldn't be surprised. It feels quite calm today compared to last couple of days but still blowing 40-50 knots and its been raining hard all day so will be more flooding.

Pleased boat is okay but feel for all those people whose boats have been damaged. I was worried about our dodger too!

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1404939573/1 ... 00x400.jpg

Not sure if that link will work..there's a couple of pics of a submerged boat in Opua in the story about the weather yesterday. Very sad to see.

Don't know anyone up there at the mo, so don't know any more. There's too much water to go driving too, couple of roads flooded between here and there. Justabout high tide now, so don't think many people will be going anywhere.

Hm - I was going to drive up to Opua tomorrow, is it possible?

I came up today from Warkworth and apart from some flooding and idiot drivers it was ok. Closed north of Morewa due to flooding thou

BP probably best to check in the morning. I know there was flooding just north of Whangarei yesterday, and its been raining hard all day today so...not sure. Very lucky there's not big tides at the moment. I think the road between Kawakawa and Opua was closed, and just north of Moerewa at bottom of table hill was closed for a bit so there was no way through to BOI for awhile. No idea what is like at the moment though.

Still lots of water to come through all the streams and rivers so not sure of your chances of getting through.

If it was me I would put the trip off until next week. They've got more warnings that the rain isn't stopping until maybe tomorrow night sometime, so driving tomorrow is bound to be a challenge.

Curly how far up did you go? Just saw your reply as I was writing this...

Curly how far up did you go? Just saw your reply as I was writing this...

Into maungakaramea, north to Hikurangi then out to Tutukaka

Guys I'm still not convinced about this 21m wave story. It has to be bollocks.

I know it's been blowing hard for a few days but let's just unpick this for a second...

Firstly, when you say a wave height of 21m that means peak to trough height of 42m. That's 137ft. Are you seriously suggesting that has been hitting the east coast? If so, I think we'd be seeing Japanese tsunami levels of damage. And we haven't.

Secondly, we had HMNZS Otago out there in the big open ocean rescuing Django II and they reported 'huge seas of 5m plus'. That's as loooooong way short of peak 21m and average 16m.

So sorry but I don't believe it. Nothing like it. It just doesn't add up.

Agree with AC. Bollocks. Bad reporting or more likely, just bad editing. The Articles in the Papers are becoming atrocious with spelling mistakes, bad grammar and bad sentence structure. And if I think it is bad, it must be really bad.

Archived