Recommendations for new VHF radio?

Farrari

My permanently mounted VHF radio no longer transmits and I was looking at replacing it. It receives OK so I figure the aerial should be OK.

Are there any recommended brands, any I should steer clear of?

You may like to try the Simrad sponsors at Advanced Trident Ltd. I just bought 9 vhf's off them at a pretty good price. Top gear.

If you have other things you could potentially spend the money on, it might be worth getting it checked out - the symptoms don't necessarily sound fatal (although they might be).

Still worth checking the Antenna. It may have just enough to recieve, but not enough to transmit. Oh and a faulty antenna can take the transmit stage out on a VHF and could take out the transmit on a new one too. So get it tested or replace it if the VHF comes with a new Antennae in the deal.

Also the Mic unit, mainly in the cable. That's the most common fault area.

Of course, if you just want an excuse, then the best in my opinion is ICOM.

Raymarine seems to have a goody.

GME is another.

Northstar is made in China, but it is a very good unit. Loud and clear and I have not seen them fault, not saying they don't, just like any radio can.

There are probably several others.

Stay away from the cheap nasties. Half of them sound like you are talking through a drain pipe. The intercom at a Train station would be better than some. To me, there is no point in having a VHF if you can't be understood. You may as well use flags.

Thanks for the responses. Is there an easy way I can check the antenna? It's a masthead job. I don't like the sound of damaging any new unit that gets put in.

recent experience puts ICOM ahead, where I work is currently replacing the old sets due to ongoing problems (not icom) and due to the additional gear we need to hook up, and those connections are standard for the sets we are fitting so no customisation is needed where as nearly all the other options would have needed modifications, or they cost a huge amount more.

Safety at Sea are Icom and GME agents.

Both have their advantages, depending on intended use for the boat, and to a degree where it is placed. Different Price points too.

Jono

Thanks for the responses. Is there an easy way I can check the antenna? It's a masthead job. I don't like the sound of damaging any new unit that gets put in.

The best way to check it is to get another radio and plug it in to you antenna, if it works its probably your radio.

if it works its probably your radio.

As long as it doesn't dmage your radio.

There are two ways to test. One easy, one not so. First is to test for a short. Simply place your multi-meter on it./ One probe on the centre pin of the plug, the other probe on the outer shell. You should get no reading. It may briefly read and then the numbers go back to Zero. That's OK, it is just capacitance in the cable. A reading, especialy a low one will mean you have a short somewhere.

The second is the difficult ine because you need an SWR meter to test that your arial is actualy loading and transmitting. If it does not load up, then you have an open circuit in the cable somewhere.

Both Open circuit and short circuit can damage the output section of the VHF. However, they can usually sustain a few short transmits. So select a repeater channel and you can push the button and release and see if you hear the short reply of static and click which means you triggered the repeater. Then call someone and do a radio test. Maritime Radio are very obliging.

if you can find a radio surveyor, or someonewho has the gear, they can put a meter, possibley the one Wheels is talking about, between your radio and aerial and tell you what is good and what is not. Even if it was working you might find the power output isn't anywhere near where it should be.

I bought a Cobra VHF off Advanced Trident (Simrad Sponsors), I got One hand held and one fixed mount.

The reason for choosing this brand.

1 like to support Yachting Sponsors

2. They were both a good price

3. In an unofficial test conducted by the BOI Coastguard service, they motored out from Base, and radioed in every 1/2 mile.

They recorded what was said at each end.

As they got out to approx 5 miles out there was one vhf brand clearly able to heard at both ends, the Cobra brand.

In value for money as well the Cobra was tops.

(The reason its only unofficial is because the exact "vhf testing procedure" probably wasn't done 100%, and maybe some brands weren't tried and etc ........ ) But I heard from someone actually present, and it sounded to me like the Cobra was a very good unit.

Since owning them both I am very happy with them.

We used my hand-held VHF to Simrad check-in from Lt Barrier, no worries clear as a clear thing. Waterproof and has ICOM written on it. Supposedly floats but I'm knot brave enough to test it. Don't use the fixed mounted, can't be arsed walking that far.

I use my handheld VHF when I'm out racing too as a preference, especially two handed. But I still want a fixed mounted one for both safety and convenience. Safety for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with big seas where the combination of mast hight and 25W might mean the difference between a mayday being heard or not. Convenience for when the kids disappear with the dinghy and hopefully handheld VHF, leaving the wife and I stranded. Mind you there is always the difference between them hearing us and listening to us :D

I too like to support the sponsors of our sport, ATL and Safety at Sea come to immediate mind but I'm sure there are others. Most importantly I want a product that works well.

I did like the look of the NX2500 that BB mentioned but haven't heard much other feedback about the brand. In the meantime I am getting the antenna checked out just in case. No point in buying a new unit only to find out the antenna damages it.

Thanks again.

We have an ICOM VHF mounted down below out of the weather (and out of reach/hearing of those in the cockpit) with a command mic in the cockpit. The command mic allows you to operate your mounted VHF with only a largeish mic. You can change channels, volume, scan, etc all from the helm and you can hear it easily too. So you have a full 25W VHF at your disposal in the cockpit rather than the 5W that a handheld generates. Very cool idea.

Oh yeah those Command mics are Awesome. I think Uniden and GME may have a command mic also.

Something I have not seen for a long time, but does GME still have the "Phone" type system??

Archived