The B&G Simrad 60 2010 Thread...

Cameron

All week Rob and I had it our heads that it was going to be a windy race. Rob put the patches on the main to protect it from the spreaders if we had to reef. We packed the boat on Friday in the pouring rain,and very fresh winds. Neil (our intrepid electronic engineer and my beloved boyfriend) tried in vain to restore our Ocean Pilot (Navico '90's electronic self steering) so we could both pull the kite down, in these forecasted gale force winds.

We left Gulf Harbour late at 6:30 am, happy the tide was coming in and the wind also was pushing us towards the start. The wind was dieing from the moment we got the boat, and as we snacked on breakfast and downloaded the latest weather data, the air was still, with ongoing cold rain.

When we finally started the wind was already quite far to the right. The biggest challenge in the leg to Navy Buoy was steering through the mine fields of sea weed. Rob steered the boat and I directed from the bow to try and keep our rudder weed free. Just after Rangitoto Lighthouse, the wind died all together, by this time we were the most easterly of all the boats, and I was concerned that the weather was ahead of the forecast and the next shift would be from the west. We were lucky however and when the wind did come back it was of a similar direction as to before.

As we rounded Navy Buoy the wind increased to 12 knots and for a short while we considered a change to a smaller jib. Witchy Women, a Young 11, from the same pier as Coppelia at Gulf Harbour rounded second. They then started to work to the northern side of course. Rob was keen to go out side the Noisey's having been becalmed to the south of them previously, I was keen to stay to the left of course (north) because of the weather forecast, and we were both keen to make sure that we stayed between Witchy Women, the only boat in out division we could see and the mark.

The wind shifted right, (not so good) so we did the best we could and headed both by sailing and tidal current to Gannet Rock. We rounded after dark, and were happy to hear the voice of Stuart from Flyer on the mystery boat that had caught us up since it got dark. From Gannet it was a game of boat speed vs. tide. We placed ourselves close to the Waiheke shore as high tide was at 10:49pm. We were aware of the strong tide near the north western point of Waiheke, but we decided it was better to sail through this, rather than push a lower current for a much greater time offshore.

EXPEDITION provided us with some great incite for the next section of the race. We crossed the Motuhine Channel and worked up the Motutapu shore. Using the track of our speed and course over the ground and our boat speed and heading, we were able to establish how far away from the shore we could sail before being affected by the tide. Using the GPS location, GPS error and the depth sensor we were able to work out how close we could go to the shore. Rob really is outstanding in these situations, keen to tack as many times as needed! Once we passed Emu Rock, we followed the Rangi shore, sailing just outside of Illiomana, until we got to Rangi Wharf, then crossed to the tidal relief at Bastion Reef, rounded Bean Rock. And finished 3:30 am.

We were both pretty shattered, I was cold, which was a little upsetting as I had been on a "campaign" to keep warm. More miso soups needed I think!

I have to agree with Rocket. I find the abandonment of the start on section e, a little flimsy seeing as they left it so long. A few boats put in alot of effort to get across the harbour. We are all pretty competitive and spend some time preping our boats and sails to get any advantage we can get to help to win. The start was fair to everyone as we started on the same line at the same time in the same conditions, unfortunatly the abandoment was fair to some but unfair to others .......

I understand that they want to have a fair race for as many people as possible, only voicing my opinion.

Just realised there is something wrong with the 727 fleet! 3/4 boats that started finished and I believe it was the best ratio and the biggest number of one designs to finish! Not bad for the smallest one design fleet!

Edwin on Crac a jak had a great race and made up best part of an hour from Gannet! Fantastic effort. Not doing his handicap any good!

Miss G.. great race for you guys, well done.

crack a jack certainly had the hammer down from gannet to the finish.was there a building breeze out there that the leaders missed?

Quarter pint in a bit more detail now that my eyes have stuck themselves back into my head.

We finally managed to get an ok start. Shortly after it was Mumbo, us and Overdraft in tight racing. Intensely focused we all managed to sneak away from the rest of the fleet with i think a lidguard 29 infront of us all. Carried on our merry way out to Rakino where we went a tad close to the noisies (i was keen to go north of the lot but glad we didn't) wind fizzled out and we bobbed around for a bit with Overdraft untill they pulled out. Tide was pushing us closer to the noisies, bugger. Dropped headsail and started moving, then got a kite up.

Later the kite came down as the wind swung forward. We got through Mumbo. Close to gannet the wind was aft again and mumbo got through us again.

When we went round gannet just after mumbo jumbo within 2 minutes we were sailing about 30 degrees higher than Mumbo Jumbo, both on port, then he crossed our stern, then the drizzle came in and we lost sight untill I spotted his nav lights somewhere in the Rangi channel behind us. I was totally stoaked. We finished in duck hunting season. About 4 or 5 guns within a couple of minutes.

I learnt that Tripple 8 can creep up from infront of you without you being able to see how far down you need to go to avoid. Black hulls, black sails heading straight at us on a very dark night. They had rights so we avoided going between the hulls. But it was kind of like green.....still seeing green, can't go above them, tacking will stop us dead....waiting for a red....oh there it is. Safe.

Elly's Simrad 60

-Was a rare treat to get the kettle on during the postponement. Grabbed a mooring and went down below and got out of the drizzle.

-Good progress to Rakino in 5-15 knots, till the smallboat fleet parked up for a few hours and boats started withdrawing.

-Comfortably Numb did the sensible thing and put the anchor down.

-Vivo gave themselves a fright by sailing over Zeno rock, which was throwing up some 3-4m waves. They were thrown into the air twice then put the motor on and headed home.

-Very painful progress for 6 hours from Noises to Gannet with slatting sails and speeds of half to one knot.

-The sou-wester started to fill in between 10 and midnight and we put the kite up and boosted our speed to 2 knots.

-Reaching Gannet Rock was exciting. Dolphins heading at us like glowing torpedos, and nav lights all around after being on our own for the last few hours.

-A midnight feast of cup-a-soup, rolls and chocolate bars perked us up.

-Lots of weed and debris in the water, we hit a log with two clunks on the hull.

-Lovely night sail back from Gannet. Made up for the rest of the day. Warm dry night with the boat in the groove and a smoother motion, plus the sound of distant waves breaking on Waiheke shores.

I'm not sure about lots of "hard work" getting across the line in the long haul. Boats that were up by the wharf and close to the line crawled over the line with the apparent breeze generated by their tidal drift. (We did this without even doing anything but wait during the delay). Boats further down the line, or back from the line couldn't possibly get across the line.

If you think that's a fair start then you're mad. Nobody wants 30 high performance two-handed boats crammed into an area about 50m square.

Guest Rocket

Clearly I am mad then - so what bit was unfair? Unfair that the fleet couldn't work out that being uptide would be an advantage? Funny thing is they didn't learn and started the next one down the line as well - duh

Less of the high performance some of us were on elderly 70s boats.

Well done Sally, you guys sailed a great race, a boat to watch for the RNI I reckon!

Yep. Awesome work on Coppelia. You guys are going well.

Lots of RNI boats are getting good results in the Simrad. It's going to be a tough fleet.

We didn't shine on Mr. R. quite like you guys but we toughed it out. Our report is on the blog.

Good luck to all the RNI crews in the last Simrad.

Interesting to see those Shorthaul boats that went to the North of the rhumb line after Navy bouy, from the comments above, were the ones that finished e.g Coppelia, Witchy Woman and ourselves on Panacea.

We did not see which way The Pirate went after Navy buoy.

With KM passing close enough to ask for a rum, Panacea kept higher looking for weather that never came, and drifted about due east of Tiri. We even tried the spinnaker alone with out the main.

Cool Bear went on a lower couse to us after Navy buoy, so was doing well at that stage too, but don't know what happened then.

Weather:

=====

I must admit I was quiet annoyed that the Ch21 forcast kepf talking about the "morning weather comming" even though it was well into the afternoon. Some thing worth investigating with Met-Service.

Further I had looked at the 3-hour modelling at 0630+ before leaving home and there was a "zero" wind area west of the Kaipara. I was getting really bored that the Ch21 forcast did not cover this as it obviously moved eastward in the afternoon. Ch 21 was still forcasting 30 gusting 40 whilst we drifted and slopped around in the 3-4m swell that was forcasted. So swell accurate but no mention of the calm.

The comments about a Low developing does not normally mean such a large and long calm area, especially when other forecasts routinely separate the weather North of Whangaparoa Pennisular to the Gulf north of Rangitoto / Waiheke.

There a little beef / complaint to mull over. Time to visit the Weather Ambassador again!! and be re-educated and/or thump his desk :!: :D

888 sneaked up behind us when we were about 5 to 6 miles off Gannet Rock.

What I want to raise for discussion is the cut off sectors of her Port & Starboard lights. They are nice and bright and well spaced apart but there was continual overlap of the red and green sectors and it was very hard for us to determine if she was about to run us down or pass either side of us. We were further concerned as our masthead sternlight could of been hidden behind her black and non see through headsail.

In the event, all was well and she went past on our windward size like a beautiful express train and did shine a spotlight on us.

However, if the rain had been heavier or thicker mist that was rolling down from Stony Batter, the outcome could of been different.

Can someboy PM their contact details to me. I have written this publically to be a discussion and possible warning to all but would like to discuss it in private as well.

Thanks.

Longhaul Div Start / Abandonment.

A hard decision for SSANZ.

I'm not involved at any level, but support their tough decision made trying to have a good race for all. Interestingly is how we all seem to believe that "adverse weather" is always stormy or strong wind conditions. Adverse can also be super light conditions.

For the future, the starts may be better to be between Orakei Yellow Racing Mark and a Committee Boat more across the harbour, somewhere NW to N of Orakei Yellow mark.

This would allow more room for larger shorthanded yachts to bail out of a start and not be concerned about hitting the breakwater piles.

Perhaps consideration of windward starts only.

For SW winds, using Resolution, Stanley and Torpedo Yellow racing marks to keep those who have started away from the competitors yet to start.

For NE winds, using Northern Leading Yellow Buoy before going out the main channel.

N.B. The TXT message advising possible Heavy Weather Courses was much appreciated.

crack a jack certainly had the hammer down from gannet to the finish.was there a building breeze out there that the leaders missed?

The mist and the change of tide brought the breeze. we got some nice inside rotation when we went the right way (for a change) and then nailed the home advantage of 10 years of ferry riding through the channel and banging the eastern bays after Browns for some more lee bow, shaving Bean rock with another lefty, Just got lucky, when we heard all those guns we hoped that one was for you and that we still had some time on you. changing the handicap for a couple of lucky breaks is a bit OTT, shall we put some rum on the next one?

Nijinsky report Simrad 60

As with everyone else we had the fear and trepidation going into the race due to the forecast. Did the late nights during the week to get the boat setup, everything loose bolted and tied down, rubber pads under anchors, found the starboard window had come loose during the previous week so major panic getting the fixed, thanks Lloyd AB windows, instruments were still out, Scott from HMB electrical got them going on the Friday.

Friday night, got home after having a last minute sort out and packing heavy weather sails on board to find loads of food being prepared by Kate and Jenny, they must have known something we didn’t.

Saturday morning, best intentions as usual, tried to get away early, Yay success, bugger crew left his coffee on dock and I left heavy kite sheets in back of wagon. Late again and full noise to the start line again, fear and trepidation turned to fear and loathing. 4 minutes to spare to warning, panic over and hung around for the AP.

Now for the real start, wanted to keep close to the other Y88’s but temptation drew us to Orakei end with Young Radical and Schizo. Big clump of weed at in the last 90 seconds, rudder, keel so a back up was required. Backed out onto starboard just in time for the start, primarily watching Young radical with concern as it appeared they wanted to kindly assist in placing their bow into my starboard side. Did a bear away as a cluster fk wasn’t really required giving them some room and nicely behind us. Pushed up to roll Schizo, kindly assisted by the large amount of weed on Schizo’s rudder. Made mention of it to Rick but I think he misinterpreted us as he went to leeward and looked at his headsail? After a bit Rick sorted his weed problem out and then went back to clear his rudder and told us “cheers thanks for telling me after you have rolled me”. Anyway Danger Zone, Sweeny and Waka Huia were making inroads from a boat end start at North head so it was time to figure out what was happening, stayed east heading to Rangi spark plug passing several 40ftrs, Elliot’s and stuff and a big black cat. Put a tack in to Rangi clearing the light then tacked into a nice northerly fetching to Tiri in clear air.

There became a bit of a battle to Tiri, mostly between Danger and Waka. Thanks to the Beneteau 40 that sailed under us then proceeded to be pushed head to wind by Rattle, no thanks to rattle. Realised boat speed was ravaged by a load of weed on the rudder passed by Waka and danger zone started giving us the hurry up. Cleared it and went high to get a tow of a 1020. Hung on to roll Drop Dead Fred and a Stewart 34 before Tiri.

Came round Tiri and commenced sailing rum line, Waka went high and Danger with Sweeny went low in nice breeze max for the no 1, got the 2 up ready for a change and then nothing. Nothing for ages, got bored, ate food and made special coffee, not much coffee plenty of rum. Had a good look at what was going on tides and stuff decided I didn’t really want to go north and wanted to cut the gap between Noises and Haystack Young radical at this stage made a comeback eyeing up the lead. Saw some cloud being lifted off from Waiheke hill tops and with the now casting giving us variable decided to work towards Waiheke Motuhie channel gannet rum line. Sweeny, Danger, Young Rad and DDF had all tacked out North so we worked on the theory of lite and shite head to shore and wanted more east from the tide, tracking 66deg, Heard Sweeny pulling out approx 10mile nth of noises as we were at Durville rock. Thought we could see some glimpses of DDF’s kite way out. Bounced around for ages, dropped headsails and tried to get some kip. No chance. Hooked some breeze and kite up on dark, big seas and reach to reach gybing to keep it full. Smoked into Gannet at 6knots catching up to the bigger boats.

Then it became bloody interesting, wish list is a chart plotter, did anyone see gannet rock? Waited until a 40ftr tacked inside of us and worked on the theory if they hit first we won’t. Seemed to work hit new breeze, top end of no1. Time to get some serious hiking in. Woke up to the sound of snoring, thought it was the crew on the helm but since he was awake it must have been me. More decisions required, stayed high to NW corner of Waiheke rather than the low less tide route banged the corner to try for the channel in one. Watched the big boats that we came around gannet with us tack and pass behind us so kept going into channel. Hooked some more weed so clearing Motutapu wasn’t happening, a quick tack and back up required. Looked like we confused some boats but boat speed came up quick on starboard to clear Motutapu then another tack into Rangi. Once we thought we could lay Browns light we tacked and sailed up the shore along the reef to the beacon? A tack into TYC then up to Orakei.

Highly confused with DDF as it sounded like they rounded Gannet before us but we finished 45min ahead.

Can’t believe we were the only ones to finish in the Y88 fleet, going to put the boat back into cruising mode for the last one, barbecue, squabs, beer, hot food, golden blankets and the auto helm.

Thanks SSANZ for the good work.

First the following is my personal view and not that of SSANZ...

Longhaul Start in my opinion should have been abandoned much earlier. If it takes 5 minutes for the first boat to start I think it's "bullshit". If it had been blown up at the same time as the other divisions had been postponed then some competitors wouldn't have felt so hard done by when they successfully started and others did not.

Overall I feel some sympathy towards those boats that had done well but i still think the right decision was made but feel it would have been better if made sooner.

Nijinsky report Simrad 60

There became a bit of a battle to Tiri, mostly between Danger and Waka. Thanks to the Beneteau 40 that sailed under us then proceeded to be pushed head to wind by Rattle, no thanks to rattle.

Huh? head to wind?

Not even close to hard on....... just trying to protect our air and our line then realised he was never going to go below us so just let him go over the top. he wasnt even overlapped untill eased up to let him go so it cant have been a luff.

you might want to re-phrase that one slightly..............

I am suprised that you other caught any weed I would have though we had cleaned up the lot, when we finally backed up and cleared the keel (great shape for weed collection) we gained 3 knots.Cold Tried and asleep? Could and should have done it better.

I am suprised that you other caught any weed I would have though we had cleaned up the lot, when we finally backed up and cleared the keel (great shape for weed collection) we gained 3 knots.Cold Tried and asleep? Could and should have done it better.

The weed we collected was evil. We couldn't do more than 2.5 knots. It was just about the most frustrating experience we've had sailing. We managed to get the boat cranking in reverse the second time we backed up. Once the big clump of weed appeared off the port side it all made sense why we were dogging it. After that normal service was resumed, but the damage had been done. I can see why a kelp-cutter is a must-have in some areas.

Archived