The B&G Simrad 60 2010 Thread...

Cameron

Looking from my deck at home (Howick) cannot see Waiheke or Rangi (now misty down to sea level) and now light rain. Good on the guys who are still out there. Rum supplies must be getting low by now. :(

Quarter pint. think we were first small boat home at 5am or something stupid like that. was farkin cold and faaaaarkin wet and doing my faaaarkin head in. would have pulled out at around 4pm but mumbo jumbo wouldn't unless we did, and we wouldn't unless they did and we don't trust each other.

i think Aaron from st fintain had the right idea. sabotage your own boat and pull out before the start.

been home for about 40 mins, had a feed and going to bed.

Results are up - full points for perseverance to the 28 who actually finished (across all divisions). Bloody strange day and totally unexpected with the forecast - when the wind got up briefly at Tiri I thought "here we go" and changed down a sail, but was not to be unfortunately...

]

i think Aaron from st fintain had the right idea. sabotage your own boat and pull out before the start.

Hmm yes, well the Orakei Wharf and a tidal eddy had something to do with it too, I cant claim all the credit.

Yes a long and painfull night on the Rattle and Rum.......

Actually a remarkably dry evening thou. we finished at 3 something am. Had a good race, too much upwind for my liking but the lack of breeze sems to work well for the SR26s.

will write a report latter.

Drunk it for you and you loved every drop :)

Huge Ups to those who persevered to the finish, very well done indeed.

We pulled the pin after we realised the chances of a 40kt kite ride back from Gannet was more likely to be a on the beak drift. Bugger really as we appeared to be the only SH boat that saw the weather moving in from the North so went nature watching at Tiri rather than Rakino. Still amazed no one else saw that coming and it got us from back end of the bunch to a point Recreation crossed only 30mts odd in front of us and we had Rocketship and Rum just ahead, 1/2 down to gannet. If the wind (???) we had 45mins earlier had stayed in we were in a total glamour spot and were lining up to take close as 1st on the water for a short while but sadly...........

We finally decided to pull the pin when we saw the whole air mass we were in was still obviously moving south so was rolling the weather supposedly moving up from down south hence the chance of any good ride was just knot going to happen.

Saw a few nice sized sharks by Tiri. No overlappers on a boat, Thank you gents ;). No 88 wipeouts. Lionmark change down headsails when we were wishing we had bigger :) A Y11 who really does need to realise when you have wind on the beam centerlining your boom makes you slow and your sails look like extreme sh*t. And a lot of confused crews trying to work out just what to do sail wise coming into Navy Buoy.

Pulling into the marina and listening to Nowcasting saying nothing but variable everywhere, we felt for the battlers still out on the track and SSANZ team. It was going to be a long night unfortunately.

Now off to write a submission to the Commerce Commission regarding Metservices continual false advertising.

We pulled the pin about 3.30 after much soul (and wind) searching and after getting dizzy after doing circles at the top end of Rakino - hard to believe that about an hour beforehand we were getting near the top end of the no.1

It was looking like a long night, with Gannet looking a loooong way away, be interested to hear from those that did finish (well done!) where the wind did come from to get you home.

Cannot believe the difference between the forecast and the actual, will ignore all forecasts before the next one and will just listen to the Nowcast 30mins before the start.

Hey KM --my crew has some really nice shots of your bow well behind our stern --he's threatening to post them to you to go on the wall at work .

Our story is very similar to KM --we were the boat between him and Recreation out to sea between tiri and Gannet ,and if the wind had been there we were sitting very nicely --however trying to fly our kite was just a nonsense in the swell coming through and we dropped it and just had the main flopping --we decided to wait till sun set to see if any zepher made an appearance --actually anything to just go some where ---with all the wind reports of "variable " and then Manukau heads down to 3-4 knots , coupled with staying still for a few hours and a crew member going on holiday on sunday , we called it a day --had a very pleasant motor back to the dock .

My hat goes off to Mike Lanigan in Share Delight being the only 1020 to finish --well done !!!

Having made it to Tiri in reasonable shape after a less than average start, we also decided to go north of the Noisies. We figured if there was any chance of a breeze coming it that we would be better off out there. We pulled the pin shortly after Suburban Reptile, being only a couple of hundred metres south of her at the time.

The last straw for us was when we tried to hoist the kite in desperation and managed to induce a small tear. Like the V-team it was a pleasant motor back to the marina.

Congrats to all those that had the patience to hang in for a finish.

V Team, your crew is ugly and his wife dresses him funny :)

Saw you but that was a little after the bit where we were looking very good or better than when you guys all came back out to us. Bugger that wind disappearing or you lot were toast, burnt toast.

Did you also think Recreation had pulled the pin in favour of a night at Kawau? We didn't think they were going to tack back for a while there :lol: :lol:

Twas a nice motor home into the sunset with rum in hand and auto-driver doing it's thing.

Yep Revolution finished.

Once it was obvious we wouldn't be home before dark, the saving grace was the tide would take us home Sunday am. In the event the SW came in enough to get us through the channel.

Well done R and R. I think you went round Gannet with us. Was that your flappy foot frac code 0? In any event you put 30 min on us. We didn't get back to Waiheke soon enough, and then I saw you hit the point and went up the Motuhuie side. We were trying for more breeze in the middle. We still came home ok. We held our time on Coppelia and passed Flyer and possibly Witchy Women off Emu Point. Elysium and us passed and repassed a couple of times but they faded.

Prior to that it was a long day. We enjoyed the beat to Rakino. The 727s and another couple of boats that went right early did well but I'm not sure why they all went up under the Noises. We were depowering main at that point. It was a long and floppy leg to Gannet. Too much coffee and a #1 that has probably had 200 tacks added to it from the slatting. It was a really dark night. It has been a while since there wasn't a star or land light to use as reference.

We never really thought about pulling out. We had plenty of clothes and kept warm. Also a good stove. Hot pizza for dinner, and hot drinks all race. I even had a sleep for an hour and Max had a couple of naps. So we treated it as long race, but with less miles.

Well done to all those that finished. Do we need to get a t shirt made?

Predict wind has two very different forecasts this morning.

One still has the low 20's from N-NE,

The other has us starting in a 4 knt Northerly, clocking to an easterly at about the time we'd round Navy... so on the nose the whole blooooddyy way, and soft, but wtih a lumpy arse swell left over, bonus!

Hay Squid, since everyone was soooo far out predicting their finished times - Do I win the rum for having the closest weather forecast to what actually happened? :lol: :lol:

Knot me but if we had continued mine probably was probably a lot closer than those who laughed at it :lol: :lol:

I think the field is pretty narrow. My guess is Booboo, he may have actually been closer to our predicted time than his :lol: but to pick up the goodies you did 1st have to finish, which they did. Hell give them one just for the perseverance.

Won't be this one -

My predicted finish time... 8:30pm

Will be either the last or second to last boat. (SSANZ/RNZYS RIB)

By the way... any competitor planning to finish later than 8:30pm better give me a bottle of Rum to make up for the one I don't win !

A well wrong, a right and who now owes Cam few bottles :lol: :lol:

Better chuck one at Jono seeing he's probably been booted out of home after this shocker, only missed by 8 hours odd :lol:

Revolution will be finished before dark. I told my wife that for the first one as well..........
By my calculations the prize goes to Tigre.

Predicted=10:00 Actual=18:27 Difference=8:27.

Cool! :D

Man it was frustrating though. Took us 7.5 hours to get from Moturoa Island to Flat Rock. Hit 20 knots on the way down there which was fun.

Ah yes jono, I was trying to think who that was with us at gannet rock, I knew one boat was elysium but wasnt sure who the other was, that was quite scary being that close to the rocks with the massive swell eh! we made our big gain at motuhie, staying really high and slow with the bow into the tide to lay thru in 1 (just!!) crabing forward at about 1kt over the ground but we knew a tack would kill us. we passed 2 boats in there, then a well timed tack into the lee bow tide coming out of the tamaki river and came in right on bean rock.

The code Zero is not a flappy foot but instead a flappy leech, to get the mid girth to 55%(to not rate as a kite) the sail either has to be really deep or have a flappy leech, we opted for the better overall shape but the leech flaps like a bastard, noisey and anoying but a small price to pay. we just had to turn the stereo up to drown it out! leech chord just makes it hook so we would rather it flapped a bit. we actaully didnt use it much on the way back, we fiound with the swell we couldnt get the boat going and had bad lee helm on the tops of the waves and the #1 genoa was faster.

We just stuck it out as we knew we had a good chance of a result in the light airs and had lead the shorthaul sports boat fleet from start to finish so couldnt pull out!

Archived