Yacht rescue off Bay of Plenty.

I wouldn't read too much into reporting - they're crap most of the time.

If I ever have the misfortune of being in this situation I'm gonna tell the reporter "when the alien captain told me they had to drop me back somewhere no one would notice so as not to draw attention to themselves, I didn't honestly believe they'd drop me off East Cape - in my own boat!"

Even heaved to and with a jiggler I imagine it ain't easy topping up fuel tanks in those conditions. I'm not prepared to slag him off until we know what happened.

Heaved too in a one direction sea state that is. The issue with out there in that area is that you get many different wave directions. So heaved too will not give you a relaxed vessel. Trying to pour fuel in that stuff is impossible at best.

To be a little more fair to the Guy, getting a decent Weather Window is really hard. I have lost count the number of times we have gone out there with a Weather Window looking great for 3 to 4 days and then the next day the Forecast has been completely different. Mind you, Weather info is increasing and if only we had windy when we were traveling up the East coast back 6 or so years ago. It was so frustrating and I was running the Weather predictions past KM at the time and we both had the same view, that we has a Window. Then we got something that was so different and nasty and I would say, where the heck did that come from.

As also said, the news is always just so wrong. We have two or is it three different problems reported now.

But having been "over it" myself out there, I would have to say that I can understand how he would have felt and I have nothing against people that make the call to get off. Because sometimes that can be the right call. With the message from his wife, maybe he wasn't going to abandon was told to. Once again, we don't know. Just speculating. I say good on him he gave it all a go. Good on him he chose to get off before it got really bad, of which it would have off the Cape. Good on him that he made very difficult decisions in very difficult conditions. Right or Wrong, it is the ability to actually make decisions in very scary situations that makes a good Leader, Manager and Skipper. Those that cannot, make silly decisions and mistakes or freeze and do nothing at all and if others are aboard, put all lives at risk.

• Upvote 1

Looking at the pic in the Herald, she looks like a little Maurice Griffiths boat, and looking at the weather conditions, perhaps an ill advised trip at this time of year without experienced crew. The boat does not appear to have failed .....

Don't agree sorry. Who on earth heads off from akl to Dunedin in the middle of winter without a very well sorted boat and a fair idea of what you are doing?

At least he should have had a contingency plan if the weather turned to poo. Turning around when the forecast turned could would have been a good idea. He may have made a good call for himself but can't help think that someone abandoning a boat that is in no immediate danger reflects badly on us all.

Looks like the rudder is still attached... Would not steer in the conditions... I wonder if that was simply a case of inexperience. Anyway, no one is dead, no one is lost, and no real majors apart from a bit of a pain for an insurance company. And who really cares if they have a bit of a pain to deal with?

Its wise to wave the white flag before a different kind of flag gets waved against your choice.

• Upvote 1

I would expect he was probably over powered and the Boat was not responding to Helm and rounding up. And when he turned for Tauranga, he may have been getting pushed too much from the Stern by some big Seas.
It's a pity he didn't press on to Meyer Island. He would have got enough shelter and a good rest and then been able to regroup and think things through. Possibly head to Tauranga and leave the boat there till Summer.
I also imagine that His journey was pressured by Time. As I have experienced, whenever I have had to bow to that master, it has always led me into the worst of trips. Even though I know the "rules" in regards to "never sail to a schedule", in reality it is never that simple.

It was blowing from the southwest so he wouldn't have been making much headway which is why he perhaps should have turned around.

He should have been in close to the coast in flat water. All down to inexperience i'm sure shame someone didn't talk sense to him before he left.

Yes Southeast Bay on Mayor Island would have been good shelter but it can get pretty nasty in close to the Island .if you don't know the area it would be very intimidating.

Not sure he would have been sailing. His stated intention leaving here was to motor to dunedin, and guys who knew him here said he did not know how to sail.

That boat likely would not motor into those conditions, used (almost) all the fuel in the tank. Little control as no way on, electrical issues.....

From a friend of mine that knows him.

"He should never have been out there. He had literally no idea how to sail, had been
a deck hand on a fishing boat once many years ago but had few if any
skills. He couldn't sail, couldn't navigate, was poorly prepared, in a
boat that was unsuitable and was totally ignorant of the weather
conditions and proper seamanship in order to deal with them."

The boat is on the local hardstand now.

Looks like a tough little boat with the only apparent damage from the rock on the beach.

With the right preparation and in the right hands it would be capable of making the voyage.