Dingy Ideas

When I did all the outboard research a couple of years ago I came up with the Tohatsu 9.8 at 26 kg being optimal for us.( same weight as the yam and merc 8 hp)  Its been good  and certainly is fast enough. It needs a pump to get on the plane for 2 up on our AB , which is quite a v'd hull. I've watched flatter hull inflatables  and takacat types get on burst easier with smaller engines so I think it would be fine on one of those.

Wanna hear a funny story( yep sure)  .. Over summer we take our stripper away,   yeah nah,its a 15 ft cedar strip row/ sail/ outboard boat. Training hulls built by unitec boatbuilder students.

We have an everyday 3 hp ( might be 3.5)tohatsu as well and at mahurangi I thought I'd check its gps speed..

Well bugger me days if it doesn't do 15 knots . In fact it was something like 15.7 one way and 15.2 or so back the other.

Yep, sometimes.

Depends where you are going. It's not always feasible to move the yacht - needs water depth, an acceptable anchorage (or someone to stay on board)  etc. examples are the ocean side of a reef with a steep drop-off, or through a lagoon that's too shallow or difficult for the yacht , drift dive through a dodgy entrance etc. Personally, i would not feel safe in some of those locations with only a rowboat. 

Hey, no issue BP, each to their own :-)

And while I am at it. If you choose a big fast inflatable don't be a dick and side tie to a dinghy dock and padlock it there rendering the space unavailable to all others. And don't drive through crowded anchorages at night at speed no lights and probably drunk. That really pisses me off.

• Upvote 1

Now MH, you beat me too it. I saw one of these on Adamite, Hamish Wilcox has her now. Seems like an interesting idea. Sails, rows, and motors. Dont forget a cap for the centreboard case or you'll get wet motoring fast! Hamish was building one (Centrecase cap) up a Kawau a week or two ago.

Might be worth investigating BP??

Upon investigation looks like the sailing kit is a customisation on Hamish's one...

Delivered a yacht with one, very stable and solid feel to them but not cheap

What I like about a RIB is yes they take up more room than a roll up but if you deflate them and turn them over strapped down on deck on your passages they take up a lot less than a hard dinghy

Anyway who stole the h out of the dingy ?

Whoops need to learn to spell proper English!  I already have an OC tender, but we have the 3.5m one and it's too big.  I use it down this way for Opti training etc.  It's just too big for the foredeck.  I can confirm they row well and need very low HP to get onto the plane.  Great build, great look, price is high but quality is also very high.  

Have you ever considered making a dinghy?

Your specifications are quite specific.  So, make something that meets your specifications.  It's not nearly as hard to do as you might imagine, and the money saved can likely be used to justify the extra time off work to build it.

The greatest part is, you'll get exactly what you want.  You can build in any and all features you like.  And when your are done with it, and have put it to service for about a year, you'll be anxious to build an even better one.  And someone will be happy to buy your first dinghy - if you can stand to part with it that is.

Whoops need to learn to spell proper English!  I already have an OC tender, but we have the 3.5m one and it's too big.  I use it down this way for Opti training etc.  It's just too big for the foredeck.  I can confirm they row well and need very low HP to get onto the plane.  Great build, great look, price is high but quality is also very high.  

assume the stability is good on the OC's - they look so light i thought they may be slightly tender compared to an inflatable?  The construction is v good from what i have seen