Weiti Short Handed Series Programme

Fish

Yeah, Highlander aced it on Saturday for sure. I'm pleased for him as he deserves a rum for such a good day! Those NZ37's are just gorgeous boats, and Mark is bloody good at short handed sailing. It was always going to have a good bash home in those conditions. The conditions you talked about at the end of the peninsula are common especially in a wind against tide situation. The water shallows up rapidly at each end of the peninsula and it creates some interesting sort of surf sometimes - which is great if you'ere going the other way!

OK a week out from R3 being the His and Hers.

Everyone got their bitches sorted?

He says confidently as hopefully mine won't see that comment...... will they JH??? ;)

A week? Er... Ah... Yes... a week... See you Monday then! :wave:

What...AA going to get her newly polished topsides wet??? Surely knot????

See you both Saturday - the Ol' girl is all fired up and has the rum bottle (thats the secret weapon) all set to go...... :lol: :shh:

Would a Monday arrival surprise you? It wouldn't me :) :)

I have have a nasty bit of work as the 'her', way too keen to be straight up so I have very heavy suspisions she has an aulterier motive.

Oh, bags the jetty friday evening again please Mr AA. ETA 8.30-9ish I'm guessing.

Hey I didn't say I was going to be racing - I might be on the start boat yet! Having said that my Commanding Officer has indicated that she is keen to do the his n hers. There are a few conditions though:

1. If there's next to no wind she won't go.

2. If there's too much wind she won't go.

3. If it's raining she won't go. (OK that one is my stipulation, but she wouldn't argue the point)

Otherwise we could be there. But I have the tiny old dacron cruising main and ragged out old genoa on and I ain't changing all the sails over for one race. I'm aiming to get around without divorce proceedings being the end result, so think of it more as a leisurely sail in the company of other boats!

But I might end up on the start boat yet...

Would a Monday arrival surprise you? It wouldn't me :) :)

I have have a nasty bit of work as the 'her', way too keen to be straight up so I have very heavy suspisions she has an aulterier motive.

Oh, bags the jetty friday evening again please Mr AA. ETA 8.30-9ish I'm guessing.

Mr Knot Me - if you took a half day off and came up early - you would be up for a 6pm twilight race??? Im thinking about bring BnG out of twilight retirement for this one....think we might need to practice!

We just missed the start of the twilight last race visit. Was nice just watching with cold beer in hand. Knot a good evening for the fleet though, bugger all wind coming from everywhere :)

But you never know, we might get there in time..... he says thinking 'That'll be damn near a 1st'.

To busy to slide off early, lots of unrealistic yachties to sort out at this time of the year ;)

I would pay money to see KM make a start 14 hrs earlier than the start he actually needs to make :clap:

Unfortunately wont be able to make this one, had the her lined up, and a new secret weapon, but unfortunately (actually very concerningly) have an all weekend stag do lined up, and am still sans head sail halyard. Actually I'm fairly concerned about htis stag, alrady have the spare room and sofa occupied with the 'boys' and there is a few more to arrive.

PS its not my stag :lol: :lol: :lol:

The weather is looking like a replay of last years.

Luckily my crew is looking after the niece until 5 or Fish could have been contributing to the SR Beer donation bucket :)

KM you missed the work berth ( the space on the river bank side of the pontoon), but if you're arriving at that tie of night then tie up on the outside. If you can go as much to one end as possible it will leave room for other boats to tie up at the same time. Cheers dude and it looks like I'm not needed for the start boat so I'll see you out there!

That she was smartarse.... but knot so far at the finishline...but a 1.40min more than last year.

And like Mr Bump I also had a crew who likes a sly topside lay back. Hard life for some of these crews you know, or at least those knot running around breaking things...like rigs, halyards, rudders or liferafts ;)

Day started with 2 questions being mulled on most boats. 1, what will the weather do and 2, clockwise or the other. And on our boat a 3rd by the crew, "just what will I wear for the 1st 10mins?"

Nice start by all, even us, and away 14 odd boats went. Most electing to go anticlockwise. 2 sail down to Rangi in some bloody rain. BnG gets a small Genny up by Rangi and pulls back Mardi Gras and Quiet Riot, SR sneaks past QR in the light stuff just after Rangi light and then past MG just before Illiomana, even after MG did pretty well at running the block but in the 5kts of breeze a 930 is more slippery, besides buggered if I was going to let a full block happen :)

SR, BnG - BnG, SR - SR, BnG thru the bloody atrocious bugger all wind but plenty of slop around the back. BnG's nice overlapper did good (Yeap, headsail envy was running at 100% aboard SR). SR has a block failure and loses fine headsail and headsail traveller adjustment, Bugger. Wind gusts to 3-5 knts and BnG puts the hammer down. SR tries to sly slide of in another direction working of the 'no good just following' method. BnG too wise for that one and keeps a nice cover... the bastards ;)

Meet the clockwise fleet as BnG and SR leave Moto channel so reasonably happy anti-clockwise was the call. Tack up thru Rakino channel in a nice 7-8kts, sun screaming but knot as loud as SR's crew is. "Ah..I have tan lines!!!". SR skipper thinks WTF, has the world stopped turning??? Nearly as it seems to appear if you are a teenage girlie. Oh well work now starts on evening them up. FYI - Loads of sunscreen on the over tanned but none on the untanned, for those with sensitive tanning issues :?

SR crew thinks the white fella at the back of the boat can be taught to dance. Skipper now knows the Sprinkler, Running man, Techno Finger and a few others even if he could only manages a 1/4 decent version of a basically a somewhat mangled a version of the Sprinkler, now called The Retard :)

Out of Rakino Ch and a straight run cracked sheets to the finish. BnG has a nice lead on SR who has it on MG and QR. SR slides up to BnG a bit but then the wind softened allowing Bng to hold the gap. D1 pops downstairs for the 5764th clothing change of the race and says 'Dad what's all the water doing downstairs?' WTF in real big letters. Crap water over the carpet, that's probably knot good. Quickly gear up for a abandon ship just in case, boat equipped with 12 lifejackets, a canoe and a liferaft on the day so all good there, VHF and portable GPS in pockets just in case something happens too fast. Start the suss, it's knot coming in fast that's good. Keel still there and bolts looking OK, no obvious holes, all valves closed, kettle vomited so is there more water than that in a no bilge boat? Ah, yeap by quite a bit, crap. Bail and monitor. Sail on and lovely it was. Crap the waters back, bail again. Repeat once more before the finish. To those thinking 'why knot bail to closest land?, the finish in Arkles was probably the quickest bit to get to.

SR pushes on but BnG holds her out to cross the line 2min in front of SR who had 5 ish on the next boat. By this stage, probably about 3 hours earlier, Kant Know the Tri had already finished with the sound of a gun in her ear.

End result saw Kant Know, BnG, SR on line. Mardi Gras, BnG, SR on H/c. D1 happy some young blonde headed smart arse can't txt saying BnG won ;)

D1 with tan lines and a dad who though Mrs Bump spotting those from another boat was magnificent, especially as D1 said quietly at the time 'See, I told you they are horrendous, I won't be able to go out in public for 2 weeks now'. I did love that call Mrs Bump :lol: :lol:

SR changes a club visit plan to a trip home which would be very quick due to seabreeze and it was sitting 2 sailing at 10kts. No kite in case something went wrong as occasional bailings were still happening. Back in marina and water frecking everywhere with no obvious point of entry but where ever it is it's a good size and around water level as the flow appears patchy. Bail and dry boat, fit big pump with float switch.

Morning comes and boat still afloat but 3 bucket loads came in over nite. Take SR to suss G2000 in prep for transporting 20 teenagers to Motohie camping weekend. Punters will be warned when so they can stay clear. Boat bailed before hand and monitored. Ah Ha, somewhere down the back is the hole and it's small but still a decent size. Suspected to be in outboard well or engine mounts. Boat parked bow down with pump aboard. Monday after drying out, narrowing the possibilities will happen.

As a side point of interest re the bailing, we have a fitted manual bilge pump as required by the Regs. I tried to use it but whoever fitted it never tried it and as I'm guessing it was done for a Cat Inspection, I doubt very much the Inspector tried it either. It's in a totally fecking stupid verging on unworkable spot and if we really needed to use it a Peanut Butter sandwich would have been more effective. Luckily we have plenty of buckets, pots, pans and the makings for many peanut Butter sandwiches aboard. Just remember that if you are fitting gear, no point doing it if it's fitted in a manner in which is nearly impossible to use. As I had suspected just that, another pump was purchased a few months back to be fitted during the rebuild, it's now going in next week instead. But the pump would have kept up with the flow so at least that's one good thing, the new one sure would have as it's twice the size. KM's, "if you have to fit it, make it the best possible for the job required" theory.

So all in all Team SR had a good weekend even with a few issues. KM had a moment there Friday nite in the Club when he suddenly realised he's a daddy with a teenage daughter... very much a Holy Feck, WTF, OMG and a few other ones it was. Never quite struck home like it did at that moment. Nothing bad just one of those moments you get from time to time when a reality dawns.

Now if the boat is still afloat come R4, SR has this morning organised a item to offset a newish item used on the BnG this year to counter last years SR small speed advantage in the super light ;)

Bring it on and the series ain't over yet, is still the call :thumbup:

Big Ups to the WBC yet again. Great club, welcome, racing and courses. Sure makes sailing back up the ditch, while still OK on a nice day, even more Blaaaaaaaaaaa :think:

Would you like a cushion and a cuppa (can be filled of rum if you like) Mrs Bump? :lol:

post-646-141887170676.jpg

aahhh yes Knot Me - as you will come to learn Mrs Bump tends to only drink Coke with additives - it may look like a cup of tea - but rest assured she has been trained much better than that!! :lol:

So - a new secret weapon aye?? Lets see if it will match the new racing Square topped weapon on order as well?? Could be fun..... :shh:

A great day had by all - thanks for keeping BnG so honest out there. A rather "conservative" start at my end - rightly reminded by Mrs Bump that it "sukd" :sick: ....very pleased to let the overlapper do her job - an investment well worth it after last years race!!

Its a great race and series this one - maybe more city dwellers should look to make the trek north once in a while....Thanks for the entertainment D2 - I rekon you could poach a couple of well done eggs on those "tan lines" after yesterday :crazy: -

Many Thanks to Weiti again for putting this togeather - and thank to all those racing - a good lot of serious fun (sorry about the water pistols...... :think: )...Knot Me - look forward to the next one again!!

Who said my new secret weapon was coming from a sailmaker ;)

Yeah that start was a tad funny. We had no watch and weren't 100% sure of the starting system and when the start happened, or what we thought it was the start flag, the rest of the fleet was back a far bit so we just went for it thinking that if we were a 1min early we had a escape return track.

PM me a email, I got a couple of nice photos. About 6 Megs for the 4 of them. That one above is only part of one. Here's a little version of another. I stopped after a couple as when I was talking them I realised you were passing us, bugger.

Shows Mrs Bumps weapon nicely. Knot that I'm implying Mrs Bump flashes her weapon all over town or anything like that. Headsail, I'm talking about the headsail :lol: :lol:

post-646-141887170679.jpg

Hey Knot Me - sorry having a "blonde moment" with the site on sending PM - send you a message but sittn in my out box (!?) ...Anyhew....email me direct

It only does that as that's what it does. I got it...both times ;)

Your lucky Mrs Bump ALMOST flashed you!!

Mrs Bump see you say that?

Why was it 'lucky' I didn't, I would have though I would have been lucky if she did :) :)

I thought a saw a momentary flasher look going on aboard there. Standing by for next race, camera zoom ready ;)

Archived