Farr 6000 too small for Bluewater cruising or out to GBI?

As most know I intened to buy a $100-150k yacht in 10 years and do some blue water cruising.

In the mean time I want to practise by owning a trailer sailer.

If we stay in NZ, Id like to be able to sail out to Coromandel from Auck, would GBI be possible say in a Farr 6000 like this one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/trailersailer/auction-1294822257.htm

Or should I go up in size a bit? I dont have a lot of storage in my apartment garage, but ive calculated Ill fit on trailer a yacht up to 25ft which rules the Noelex 30 out.

Is 20ft too small to get to GBI etc or is it more about the weather and getting to know your yacht first?

I plan to just sail around the inner gulf until I know what Im doing.

I also want to deck it out with all the short handed sailing options like Furling headsails, cockpit sheet access, self tailing winches and BIG screen nav information.

I think the Farr 6000 is already fairly short handed designed.

20 foot will do it for around the gulf and GB, though you will be slower unless you have a planing boat. Look to your safety systems first (lifejacket on at all times, trip reports, two forms of waterproof communication, safety harness etc) and I wouldn't go big screen nav. Learn how to use paper charts first (handheld compass parallel ruler, pencil and eraser) and get your GPS with a garmin or something. Learn how to heave-to.

I do all my navigation with a pocket sized Garmin.

You won't have enough power in a trailer yacht to run a big screen and it will eat your eyes at night

Farr 6000 in experienced hands can do barrier easily but even a novice can have just as much fun between kawau and Te kouma

You know in around a month you have managed to cover every topic this forum has covered in 15 years :-)

Twosail, why a trailer sailor??any particular reason. At that price you can find a perfectly good raven,reactor or tracker with change left over to make what ever improvements you want.

as far as taking Farr 6000 to Gt Barrier no problem at all,like everything else weather dependent.

All the toys you have mentioned are great till they pack up.learn to use a chart and compass first

Just re read and you need to store at home?how often do you plan to use it?? rigging and de rigging every weekend becomes a pain and if launching westhaven and leaving trailer overnight becomes a cost.  

i know a guy sailed his kayak to barrier

it's all about picking the right weather window 

nothing wrong with TSers but also lots of 25' trackers, and the like, about for peanuts that could live on cheap moorings 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1294566032.htm

if you intend to on-sell in a year or 2 and don't want to lose a bucket it would be good to buy the best value boat now instead of any particular boat

in a similar position to yourself a few years ago i bought a 25' pocket world cruiser and slogged around the gulf at 4knots teaching self about reefing sails, inboard engines, anchoring, autopilots, wind-vanes, solar regulators etc then sold it when felt those lessons learned and the 1 night away sailing range explored

like you too wanted to try a big marine plotter and found a 10' on tm that was generally used when anchoring...monster was too big to go in or even on a bulkhead

gallery_1988_51_645946.jpg

You know in around a month you have managed to cover every topic this forum has covered in 15 years :-)

Haha I hope thats a good thing. Im just looking forward to living the dream. I grew up in power boats and Noelex trailer sailers. But ive never attempted bluewater solo trips.

Im seeing some excellent refurb candidates for both trailer sailers and when my time comes for the dream yacht.

Twosail, why a trailer sailor??any particular reason.

Simply cost, I have garage space for one.

Even a cheap swing mooring is $100 a week? Am I ignorant there or is that about right?

Dont get me wrong, I dont like the idea of not having a lead torpedo under me haha. Thats why Im looking at the various ballasts and dagger systems they use. The Noelex design seems to be a good one.

Of the trailer sailers, which would be the least tender?

Also I I want a small RIB with outboard for my spearfishing.

Gulf isn't blue water though.

No, not about that, more about my training wheels in a safe environment before I take on a much larger yacht in the future so I feel Ive got a good grounding on sailing solo.

I expect to push myself further and further out, but that Colville can get a hefty swell through it so I think its a good training ground when Im ready, especially if the wind gets up.

Brings back memories of launching my tinny from fletchers bay and shooting across the barrier, oh boy thats an adrenaline rush. Didnt have these stabicraft type pontoon boats back then haha. And as a spearo/fisherman Im well aware of the size of some of the Makos and White Pointers coming through there :-) Love my sharks.

Simply cost, I have garage space for one.

Even a cheap swing mooring is $100 a week? Am I ignorant there or is that about right?

Dont get me wrong, I dont like the idea of not having a lead torpedo under me haha. Thats why Im looking at the various ballasts and dagger systems they use. The Noelex design seems to be a good one.

Of the trailer sailers, which would be the least tender?

Also I I want a small RIB with outboard for my spearfishing.

$25 average tamiki river

a mooring for a small keeler is about $2500 to buy

$250 a year lease

$800? for 3 yearly check

and i know that the owner of the 727 'wild'

is now looking to sell now he has bought bigger...

Even a cheap swing mooring is $100 a week? 

Swing moorings cost about $250 a year in rates, and a similar amount in upkeep. Although you do have the outlay of buying the mooring in the first place.

That said, I'd still rather have a 22ft trailer yacht than a 22ft keeler. In the case of getting caught out somewhere, worst case scenario you can tow the boat home if need be. Also means you can travel to BOI, Marlborough etc without needing a week off work for the journey.

Disclaimer: I have raced Noelex 22's all over the country in OD and mixed fleet stuff. To my mind they are close to the perfect yacht, with no inherent vices. I am biased!

In terms of tenderness, what works well in flat water doesn't always work so well in the rougher stuff. In TY's this is because the boats are often over wide low down for their length to cram in more accommodation. Those big slab sides and flat bottom create a lot of usable space inside, and often perform well in flattish waters, but tend to get knocked around in rougher seas, and have more windage too. A narrower design like a noelex 22 has less room, but will handle the rough stuff far better.

All boats are a compromise, it's a question of what best suits your needs.In the 22 foot range, the Aquarius 22, Ross 650, Young 6.7, and Noelex 22 are all good boats, the Ross has a lot of room, and is the fastest of the bunch in up to 15 knots, but becomes a handful in big waves and breeze. The young has the most room inside, but is water ballasted, and usually home built, so there are a lot of variations. The Aquarius is a displacement hull, with reasonable room and good light/medium weather performance. Can handle the rough stuff with ease, but doesn't like to be pushed too hard downwind, and can get a bit rolly in a following sea. The Noelex is smaller than the rest inside, easily driven, and can be pushed very hard, but is a bit underpowered in under about 15 knots. Will plane downwind in a blow, and eat the rough chop upwind with ease. 

Anything over about 22 feet, and as KM suggested while I was typing this, you may as well buy a 727 or something, as they become hard to launch, time consuming to rig, and need a very big tow wagon.

As an indication I used to tow my Noelex with a 2L  Mazda 626 (among other things), and could rig the whole boat in about 20 minutes. Going bigger meant I needed a 4x4 and closer to an hour.

The small keelboats mentioned are all good. I had a harmonic for years and had a good time with it. But if you are a cruiser I'd stick with a centerboard TS for the shoal draft and the ability to yank out on a trailer (keeping the above advice about trailer condition in mind) instead of expensive haul out yards and ability to park in the back yard etc. Always remember its better to spend a bit more and get a good, maintained example of whatever you choose rather than some bargain shitter. 

Noelex 25s are great little boats but I have seen one capsize and sink right in front of me in Wellington harbour so you do need to be careful.

Also a side note, You mention a big RIB inflatable and outboard. What do you plan to do with this for the passages. Often towing is not a good option especially downwind.

In the middle 70s used to take 14 ft trailer sailer to Great Barrier a long trip not sure I would do that now however had a Noelex 25 took that to barrier a number of times and had some wild sails in it.The advantage with the Noelex is the outboard is in a well at the back ideal for motoring sailing into a bit of a chop. We took ours to Opua spent 3 weeks in the Bay sailing to Whangaroa and around cape Brett would not hesitate to sail from Auckland in right weather .Had a roll up inflatable that could be stored under the cot pit floor though towed most of the time cruising.Just keep the centre plate pinned when sailing.Had some great racing in it to Great boat also some thing to consider it is getting harder to clean and antifoul.No running up and leaning against a wharf or piles at home the cost stops except for the towing vehicle.Make sure the trailer is braked a lot weren't when I was looking a few years ago.