Feedback on boatbuilder

I'm considering getting Kevin Johnson to replace my teak rails on a 70s fiberglass sailing boat.

Given the sensitivities, if anyone has feedback, could they get in touch with me directly rather than reply here.

kevinjohnsonboatbuilders.co.nz

ta

kevin1mccready@gmail.com

+64 (0)9 528 1174 home
+64 (0)226 710 335 cell

If your seeking reviews of Kevin Johnson Boat Builders, I'm more than happy to give you a public one!

In 2015, our insurance company gave the job of repairing Freedom to Kevin Johnson and we are very happy with the result. Freedom had been involved in the collision (not our fault) and had lost nearly a meter off her port bow. Some boat builders just wanted to glass on a foam block and shape it, whereas Kevin rebuilt the front of the boat in double diagonal kaihikatea planking. You can't tell at all that the whole bow is new, either inside or outside, as they did a perfect job. Kevin did a lot of the work himself.

They delivered in on time and I assume on cost as the insurance company was paying and they had no grumbles. 

Did a small job for me, let me park all day in his free carpark while I took ferry to Auckland and did business, job was completed when he said it would be, and to the exact specifications I requested. I therefore recommend on that basis.

He's been boatbuilding over their in Devonport for years, and would have been found out by now if any major issues.

I have not used Kevin personally, but I suggested him to the guy (not sure of his name, Barry Young??, used to lecture at the Maritime school), who was building the  Loomes 12m power trimaran a few years ago - he went with Kevin and was very pleased with the result.

He is the one of the last of the old school boatbuilders, and also a YNZ safety inspector

Oh no I'm agreeing with KM

You only need to meet KJ to realise he's 110% the real thing,

there are very few left but he's one of them

Very slightly off topic but I've been wondering for ages...

Is this the same Kevin Johnson that used to race R class in welly in the early '90s? Nicknamed Kevlar?