Westhaven Survey

Just received a request for survey. Completed with personal viewpoints but I've got to wonder if they the management read them.

So anyway how about we put in public what we want improved? Without malice of course.

I'll start......

Personal sign in like topyacht where you download your contact details and insurance dociments etc. Save everyone time and fustration while sailing singlehanded into a 35 knot southerly trying to text.

Wish I was requested to fill in a survey, I only pay to keep my boat there...........

If they are going to live up to the green marina status will they clean all the water nasties off the docks that we are not allowed on our boat hulls :)

• Upvote 1

Surely it is a pretty achievable task to remove the nasties.

Maybe they could employ Happy Teeth to assist.

My concerns are lack of vehicle parking,poor water quality and also the ever rising costs of berthage rates.

Seems as if the BEU model is a dead duck and Westhaven will just look to rental return.

Not a major but annually ratcheting the berthage rentals on the premise that there is increased expenditure does not wash.

For me the pricing is the biggest issue.  I'm in a 12m fortunately I rent privately so I don't pay the outrageous Westhaven price.  I am definitely paying for convenience as we were at Bayswater but could not handle the commute.  If I ever (I guess it just when it happens) have to pay the marina posted price that will be it for me.  I will have to downsize or sell my wife :)  

Marina crew has kind of dropped in quality since the start of the summer... any time I'm on board (piles) after 9pm they ask if I'm staying the night. Every time, I say, "no, thank you, I am aware of the rules and you have asked me this multiple times."

Hit my boat and the boat next to mine with the patrol boat (why you would shift into neutral barely 3m directly upwind of a moored yacht in a 20kt blow is completely beyond me). Had to call the office to get the crew members' names because they suddenly lost interest in talking to me when I fended the patrol boat off with my foot and some choice words.

Still a bit salty about that incident. Filed a complaint but didn't hear much about what came of it.

Meanwhile rowing past high lines everywhere in sad conditions.

Some of the guys are completely on point, though. Helpful, friendly, supportive. But a couple of them definitely drove me a bit nuts this summer.

Is this somehow related to this thread ?

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/13749-marina-ewof-requirements/?hl=electrical

Or was it found Happy Teeth did not comply to Westhaven's standards and was kindly asked to move, or perhaps found a cheaper and friendlier marina to live in.... or was it some brave person with a TASAR doing the good work on behalf of all berth holders?? Enquiring minds need to know.

Hi guys

The survey is conducted each year because Westhaven Marina is ultimately owned by Auckland Council and they are keen to ensure that we are tracking well. 

We have enjoyed seeing our progress generally track upwards each year. 

However, the ideas that you contribute are very much studied, taken into account, and often implemented by the operational team. It helps a lot. So please do complete the survey.

Someone mentioned they didn't receive one-  if you are a renter or berth holder you should have received an email, perhaps check your spam folder and if it's not in there, make sure your email address is up to date with the marina team. 

"We have enjoyed seeing our progress generally track upwards each year."

Yup, berthage rates are certainly tracking upwards each year.

​Does the marina management have a "ceiling figure for the future cost of marina berthing rates or will they just continue tracking upwards.

At some point soon if not now many bertholders will just bail from boat ownership based on this factor plus they have already incurred the drive down value of their craft due to the costs of forever rising berthage rates.

I could  bang on endlessly about the much overlooked fact that Westhaven is in effect a public park and where else do the public pay such enormous rates to be able to recreate.

• Upvote 1

Hi Priscilla,

Our assessments show that berthage at Westhaven remains at an about average level compared with other Auckland marinas and is considerably lower than some. 

The marina itself is developed according to the Westhaven Plan 2013 on the basis of ensuring it is a world class marine facility for future generations, and at the same time, is opened up for the public to enjoy - the Promenade being the best example of that. However while the space is shared, berth holders do not pay financially for public developments such as the Promenade. You are very welcome to attend our next Westhaven Forum on the evening of 8 May for more information about projects and to ask questions. These are held 2-3 times a year and are well supported. We are preparing the invitation which will be in your inbox soon.